Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 30: Haunting of Hill House

Yeah, and this is the difference I am observing. When Orlando does it, it’s an “effect.” When Hollywood does it, it’s cheap. Hollywood, btw, had scareactors overhead reaching down at you during these transitions when I saw their houses in 2016. Here, the timing could just be nothing and I don’t think speakers add much to the scare.
Hollywood also has multiple black hallways in single houses, across multiple houses.

This is literally the ONE across 10 houses in Orlando.

Apples and oranges.

I didn’t get the sense of unease. It was just a black hallway. Idk a least with Hollywood there’s a chance an actor is going to lunge down at you.

I thought that was one of the creepiest parts of the house (loved it in Graveyard Games too). It’s not like the black walls are a necessity to make the transition, the black walls are just the only way to make a room with a quiet/pitch black effect. It’s a feature, not a bug, and super unique to the Orlando event.

I didn’t get the sense of unease. It was just a black hallway. Idk a least with Hollywood there’s a chance an actor is going to lunge down at you.

Some scares work, some don't. In this case, it's not for you. During our lights-on tour, we had a couple of guests still get scared going through it. Either way, it wasn't an outright cost-cutting measure.

Some scares work, some don't. In this case, it's not for you. During our lights-on tour, we had a couple of guests still get scared going through it. Either way, it wasn't an outright cost-cutting measure.
Did they have the sound turned on for the tour?

I believe the idea behind the “black hallway” is that you ARE Nell, asleep, and then
the “Bent-Neck Lady” appears above you as you hear all of the horrible voices from the past and future “like confetti” as described in the show. This is more scary and ingenious than Hollywood’s scene of the Bent-Neck Lady being a mannequin above mannequin Nell’s bed.

I think this is the best house I went through all night, INCLUDING Wicked Growth. As a fan of the show, I have never been through an IP house quite as ingenious as this one.Each of the main characters AND bad guys DO make an appearance in the house, which I think is phenomenal, and the “slow burn” scares are incredibly well-executed.

I loved Luke opening the house with the “blinking lights” telling him to come home, and then us stepping into his shoes and exploring the terror of the house. The turning doorknob, the smoking red room, the ingenious use of Nell/Bent Neck Lady as mannequin, Scareactor, and projection throughout... the illustration of one of the most dynamic scenes in the show of Nell “dropping” was spot on. I loved that we got to see some face characters such as Liv and Abagail re-enact their scenes, which were the right amount of fan service. I also loved the “broken window” scene, ripped right from the show. I wish the Tall Man had “glided” more like he did in the show, but I appreciated how interactive he was with the scares. Even seeing Mr. Smiley once venturing out of the house was cool. I missed the final Tall Man scare, but was there something particularly cool about him that I missed that was supposed to be stand-out? As a book report house, I really appreciated how the scares ramped up, especially after Poppy is revealed and it becomes a free-for-all, with Grandma Hill and the rest of them going wild. The basement construction scene was an acting stand-out for me, he came at us so many times and was truly working the room, so much so that I hadn’t expected a second character in the room! Wonderful surprise to see Theo in the house, too, screaming about her gloves.

Overall, the house was PACKED with people, and I was so pleased that it was able to succinctly tell the story of the show while firmly putting YOU in the shoes of the characters.

Can someone please explain what the finale was supposed to be?
Same^ I loved the show and thought the house was neat (especially effects wise) but felt like the house fell apart story-wise towards the end. Not sure what finale people are referencing, but maybe I missed something. It’s great, but not an all-timer for me.
Just did the 6 House Tour and my tour guide explained it which made a lot of sense.
The Ending is all of the Fears of each of the Crain Children.

Shirley - Wax Mask
Theo - Touch and Mr Smiley
Nell - Bent-Neck Lady
Steven - His Wife Pregnant
Luke - William Hill

Last edited:
I loved Luke opening the house with the “blinking lights” telling him to come home, and then us stepping into his shoes and exploring the terror of the house.

Overall, the house was PACKED with people, and I was so pleased that it was able to succinctly tell the story of the show while firmly putting YOU in the shoes of the characters.

I have a question about the first sentence in your post:

I specifically looked for the blinking light and cound't see it through several walkthroughs. The sounds during that scene indicate it's from the final night years ago when the father takes the kids and leaves. We see and hear the kids talk about Abigail, we hear the father and Stephen say "that's not mom!".

Did I miss something in that first scene?

Is that related to the guy with the flashlight right when entering the facade?

He hasn't been there since like week 2 of the event.

Is that related to the guy with the flashlight right when entering the facade?

He hasn't been there since like week 2 of the event.

The father character that pops out from behind as you almost enter house through the facade? He's been there every time I went through (most recently last Thursday)

I believe you are correct. And he was still there during my last run last weekend.
That doesn't seem to match up with the timing of the show events as presented in the HHN house:

We walk in on the facade, hear some of the dialog from the night the family (minus Olivia) leave. We see Abigail in the window. Voice over confirms this ("I saw Abigail in the window!"). There was no blinking "come home" light I could see (but might have missed). As we walk to the front door of Hill House and are about to enter, the scareactor with the white shirt and flashlight come up behind us. I'm assuming this is the father.

If it is supposed to be Luke as he returns to the house to try to burn it (that is a weird place story-wise to start the HHN house BTW) there are other sound/placesetting clues that could be used to indicate that it's Luke alone at the house as an adult.

My impression was that it rotates. We saw Luke and who I assume to be Stephen all weekend. Only a few runs where no one was present.
Interesting. I guess I'm forgetting who had the flashlight in that scene in the show. Also with the flashlight shining in my face I may have missed some of the differences to show these were different characters (as opposed to different scareactors). For those who weren't blinded by the light, what was the difference between Stephen and Luke scareactors?

If I am recalling, the light in the entryway flashed right after the red light shift, as it shifted back to warm yellow. Could have been right before the shift to red though; I do know it was seen on multiple runs.