Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN Hollywood 2021 Construction Thread

The sad thing is the refit of the old facade makes this a horrible recreation of the actual location in Halloween 4.

The sad thing is the refit of the old facade makes this a horrible recreation of the actual location in Halloween 4.
i imagine that'll be true for most of the maze, since no matter how much repainting they do, you cant really get the H3 locations to properly fit H4s story.
Frankly, with how different it'll probably be, I'd be surprised if they use Halloween 4 in the name at all, rather than just naming it "Halloween" and some kind of subtitle to differentiate it.

The funniest thing to me, is the fact that *this* is the first time a Netflix IP has had any form of an exterior backdrop of any kind. Really hoping for those who get to go to this years event; that it'll be a Roanoke like aspect.

Can we even call this a facade?
Well, it is technically a false front.
EDIT: Honestly one of the most concerning aspects of this is if you remember 2020 construction, this was pretty much the facade they had planned from the start.
Anyhow, as objectively bad as this facade is, I can't say I'm looking forward to the amount of Hollywood/Murdy bashing this will inevitably bring from people with misconceptions about how things behind the scenes work.

Last edited:
Well, it is technically a false front.
EDIT: Honestly one of the most concerning aspects of this is if you remember 2020 construction, this was pretty much the facade they had planned from the start.
Anyhow, as objectively bad as this facade is, I can't say I'm looking forward to the amount of Hollywood/Murdy bashing this will inevitably bring from people with misconceptions about how things behind the scenes work.

I agree about the bashing, but yes the fact that this maze was planned to be in a tent with this entrance from the start is the most concerning part to me.

I remember Krampus, Exorcist, and TCM all having decent facades in 2016. This isn’t even trying.
2016 was a year where they blew out the budget so bad it led to 2017 having massive cuts.
Given the fact that we're still in lower profit covid times, and it really doesn't seem like they didn't really add onto the assigned budget for 2020, I'm not entirely sure what people expected. They absolutely could've done better, but I have a feeling the reason we're getting what we're getting is because they felt the inside of the maze was a much more important place to spend the budget.
I think people have the right to be upset about this, but the blame shouldn't be placed on Murdy's team for simply not being given enough money.

2016 was a year where they blew out the budget so bad it led to 2017 having massive cuts.
Given the fact that we're still in lower profit covid times, and it really doesn't seem like they didn't really add onto the assigned budget for 2020, I'm not entirely sure what people expected. They absolutely could've done better, but I have a feeling the reason we're getting what we're getting is because they felt the inside of the maze was a much more important place to spend the budget.
I think people have the right to be upset about this, but the blame shouldn't be placed on Murdy's team for simply not being given enough money.
I understand that the event has only so much money to spend, but if you as a creative director think that cardboard cutouts that should belong at a fairgrounds haunt and hallway after hallway of black plywood hallways are acceptable, I think you deserve to get some flack. Home haunters have a FAR more limited budget and I see them getting far more creative than what Murdy and his team have at their worst.

It’s extremely frustrating because when Hollywood hits, hey HIT. But when they miss, they MISS. Like, not even trying miss.

I understand that the event has only so much money to spend, but if you as a creative director think that cardboard cutouts that should belong at a fairgrounds haunt and hallway after hallway of black plywood hallways are acceptable, I think you deserve to get some flack. Home haunters have a FAR more limited budget and I see them getting far more creative than what Murdy and his team have at their worst.

It’s extremely frustrating because when Hollywood hits, hey HIT. But when they miss, they MISS. Like, not even trying miss.
I doubt he thinks its acceptable. It was likely out of necessity for distribution.
I'm saying they likely had a certain pool of money to use on the maze, and they spent a majority of it on the inside, leaving not much for the facade itself. Obviously I can't say that for sure, since I haven't seen the inside yet, but it's my hunch. And if I'm right, I think I'd much prefer a maze with a bad facade and a great inside than a maze with a good facade and an ok inside.

I doubt he thinks its acceptable. It was likely out of necessity for distribution.
I'm saying they likely had a certain pool of money to use on the maze, and they spent a majority of it on the inside, leaving not much for the facade itself. Obviously I can't say that for sure, since I haven't seen the inside yet, but it's my hunch. And if I'm right, I think I'd much prefer a maze with a bad facade and a great inside than a maze with a good facade and an ok inside.
You'd be surprised.