HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2014 | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2014

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
While I'm guessing Murdy has little control over the mazes, I can't wait for a fresh mind to take over the event. He's had a good run but I'm excited to see what direction the event will go after he's out of the picture. That writer who started the Bill and Ted "scandal" probably got a thank you letter from Universal. It's clear they don't want to deal with putting on a show. Will the backlot have any more space for 4 mazes? Imagine the crowds...

As Jon said, they are big time overselling the event. I think that is the major issue. I can deal with mediocre properties but when they charge top dollar and give you just mazes and overfill the park, most of the fun is lost. It turns into stress trying to do everything. The value for the price simply isn't there. While Knott's production value of its mazes isn't on par with HHN,they offer a real bang for your buck and a fun, energetic atmosphere. In fact, the mazes can have a more creepy feel since they aren't so highly constructed. The Ghost Town scareactors are top notch. All in all, this goes back to what Brover Jon and others have stated, the tone of the event is more dull than previous years.

William, in Fall of 2013 at the media preview for HHN I remember saying how stoked I always am for the event and Chris telling me that won't always be the case. I told him he was crazy. Look at me now! It stinks to become cynical over something you've always enjoyed.

Yeah they are saving costs by not doing a show, but that's not how theme park operations should work at all. Florida understands this. It's one of those times I kind of wish we had the "One Disney" approach in regards to both parks. Comcast regulates what Universal gets in terms of big-time attractions, but it's still problematic when it comes to situations like these. 

Reactions: Freak and Jon Fu
Another thing I'm curious about is how long will branded horror work for HHN? Will we see more original mazes? For Murdys final year I would love to see Halloween, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street return. Based on the original series.

Reactions: William
Last edited by a moderator:
While I feel like this year was the best in terms of mazes, there's no denying that this is the worst year....by FFAAAAAAAAARRR for crowds. By MILES. Seeing how quickly the event is selling out, They need to go all the way to maximize guest enjoyment and capacity. They should have no problem bringing back Bill and Ted, and adding capacity in some way. Having to put up with the backlot mazes reach up to an hour in just fifteen minutes after the event opening is outrageous. It sickens me that Universal is so cheap every year and will NOT expand footprint to increase capacity. It just down-right pisses me off.

What I suggest demand for next year is this: BRING BACK BILL AND TED. I don't care what your excuse is, You better have Bill and Ted back or a show of some sort. For Pete's sake, EXPAND THE FOOTPRINT FOR THE BACKLOT!!!!! Look, I get that renting out the backlot for the event can get pricy, but is it too much to ask to expand the foot traffic into the actual streets? It would make a far better scarezone and allow more capacity for guests. Have Silly Swirly open for the event. People will ride it. Replace the Terror Tram with an eight house on the backlot and have a Fast and Furious Express tram through the backlot. I grantee this will be more popular than the Terror Tram. It can be run all night without having to close early. 

If Universal is still stupid enough to figure out that they need shows to spread out the crowds, people are going to be so fed up, they'll just stop going. Even if people are going to go back despite the crowds, people who are enjoying themselves and are satisfied will spend more money. It's proven fact. It works. Invest more in upping capacity and adding stuff for guests to "take a break" and to spread crowds. Just do it Universal. We say this every. Single. Year. Maybe after seeing the 160 minutes wait times for everything on the backlot, maybe you'll finally learn. Oh, and seeing the line for AVP (Thank God for the guest assistance pass I was able to score with my party), nobody should EVER have to wait in line for a house, or anything for that matter....EVER.

I know this is a super-long post, but I'll close with this. I think Murdy has made some really great houses under his reign. I REALLY do. I even got to talk to him and tell him how much I loved AVP and AWiL, some of the best mazes he and Chris have designed. However, I do notice that a lot of his style is becoming repetitive and monotonous (The "gutting" gag, the body bags, the drill noise, etc.). I feel like his style is stuck a little bit in 2006. While I look forward to, what I assume, is Murdy's final year as C.D. for 2015, I'm ready for some new blood. It would be cool if we got the guy from Singapore or even Aliello (I HOPE!!!!). If Hollywood adapts the same gags as Orlando, Hollywood will be amazing. In Orlando, even for their "throwaway houses" (i.e. Afterlife), they still find some cheap and effective ways to make a great house under a stingy budget. That's where I feel Hollywood needs to improve on.

*Gets off soap box* On that note, I'll be going back to HHN Thursday.

Reactions: Ryan and Jon Fu
^ You raise some pretty good points. I've never had an issue with the creative direction of the event myself since I'm a jaded fan at this point, but it does seem like certain effects are reused constantly despite the change in theme. Knott's seems more creative in that regard, but that could because I'm a first timer.

Having said that, the wait times this year are outrageous. How could someone wait that long? I'd be curious to hear what the general public thinks.

Can Jason Ramsburg come back to USH and take over our HHN? His work in Singapore is absolutely amazing! Honestly though, I'd love to see Chris Williams take the helm. The guy has crazy talent and seems to be the one that likes to try more ambitious things. The mazes he's produced (La Llorona, TCM 2007, AVP) are pretty awesome and for the most part broke away from the usual "boo hole, loud noise and strobes" mazes.

I'd love if Aiello or Ramsburg took over. That would be fantastic.

They need a show back. Period. The event is hurting badly without it.

That said, I'm lock set on Thursday. Thrill me, Murdy.

Reactions: Freak and Aaron
They could easily put a new 3D movie in the Shrek venue. Then they would have a show that is cheap to operate. They could also split the cost production with Orlando and have it at both events.

I just watched a video of Ramsburg's work at Singapore. THAT is what I have wanted our HHN to be. Getting "out if the box" and branching out on new concepts and ideas. Those mechanical effects are really cool and I live the "half house half scarezone" concept for Boogieman. That's something our scarezone a could really use or Terror Team if they insist in keeping it.

If we get a Dark Christmas maze, I really hope Chris designs it. Seeing what he did with the stuff he's done would be amazing.

Hey Brover, if you see a tall guy with a mustache and a gotee this Thursday, don't be shy to say hi. :)

Reactions: BernardMesa
Sorry for double posts, but I have more thoughts on the matter.

Can Jason Ramsburg come back to USH and take over our HHN? His work in Singapore is absolutely amazing! Honestly though, I'd love to see Chris Williams take the helm. The guy has crazy talent and seems to be the one that likes to try more ambitious things. The mazes he's produced (La Llorona, TCM 2007, AVP) are pretty awesome and for the most part broke away from the usual "boo hole, loud noise and strobes" mazes.
I think Chris would make a very good creative director. I think it would especially awesome if he teamed up with Ramsburg. MAN that would be an awesome combo. I notice Chris is more "behind-the-scenes" when it comes to interaction. In that case, if Murdy steps down, I feel like Chris might as well. It would be a shame since I think Chris is a great art director.

Also, since AWiL is currently the highest-rated house of the event, I wonder if that will open the door for more lower-awareness properties? Hellraiser and Trick 'r Treat would be amazing. While Murdy did say that he's waiting for new movies to come out for the ones I just mentioned, I think rthey could be more likely since AWiL has done so well.

Oh, and AMC is advertising their sweepstakes for the season 6 premire in LA for next year. Lincoln said in an interview that the reason they always have it in LA is because Universal hosts it. *SIGH* I'm sick of all Walking Dead merch.

Well it was a long 24 hours, but we did it. And... hey it wasn't that bad. In fact, it was downright smooth, and for that I'm elated.

However, that was solely due to strategy, luck and persistence. Without any we would have been screwed. Even on a Thursday night you can not do this event easily without basically winning a triple jackpot, and that's not a good thing.

So, anyways, here goes. My sister and I headed off from Vegas about 10:30 AM expecting to hit traffic, delaying our arrival to Universal. Here's where luck hit us first: I realize upon driving that for the first time in a long while, I had a passenger alongside me so we scooted into the carpool lane and missed a good thirty minutes worth of traffic. Instead of the planned 3:30, I found myself parking at Citywalk at 2:30. 

Upon entering, "luck" hit us again. Originally we planned on having lunch with my sister's friend in Los Angeles which would've had us getting to early entry about 5-ish. He ended up cancelling, and we quickly found ourselves bored after mulling around CityWalk for an hour and a half. Naturally we just headed to the entrance and scrambled into line, second runner-up. Thanks to this persistence (and my knowledge of where early entry exactly "empties" out), we kept finding ourselves right after the front edge whenever the line moved forward. 

After a nice conversation with a park services lead on the unfortunate (and misguided) replacement of HoH, they let us in and this was probably the worst part of the event for us. Years of confident theme park striding both employed and as a tourist had me swiftly making my way forward, but my sister wasn't exactly prepared for it so she basically hung onto me. And yeah, this was a mile-long walk that just took the wind out of us. It was bad enough marching down the StarWay, but then you're faced with the fierce bursts of running energy by the crowds to the edge of the lower lot. We were already sweating bullets and the hilly nearly half-mile walk to the backlot seemed near impossible... but y'know, to do this event enjoyably you HAD to tough it. Luckily the numerous team members along the way wondrously put a halt to the devilish runners, giving us a welcome slow pace to the backlot. Still, it was rough. A nice break of a tram ride would've been nice right about here, just saying.

By the time we made our way through Terminus (I guess... twice? Jeez I think you can go through it a total of four times in this event!), our crew (which included a nice couple we met while waiting upstairs earlier) were a wheezing, coughing, sweaty mess. Yet The Walking Dead was a walk-on (heh), so there is literally no time to lose. If you're in amazing shape, go on a Thursday, love patiently waiting for two hours with great navigation of USH and have incredible persistence, you can have a terrific time at HHN this year without an FOL! 

Yet breathlessness be damned, we trudged through the prison. I immediately had a sense of deja vu, but it was a good one... because that two-story prison scene is just as awesome as it was last year. This also had a better back half, and that might just be because season 4 was a better season than 3. Lots of neat moments, and a good length to it (my sister, not used to haunts, thought it was short at first)... yeah the brand is tired but hey at least they keep improving on the maze portion. And the Terminus scare zone (the real one, not the strobey one) was nice but not nearly as fantastic as last year's. My sister, a huge Walking Dead fan, thought everything was absolutely amazing. So maybe there's something to be said for the fans.

So we climb out of TWD and early entry briefly leads you straight into the AVP queue. And yeah... now I was stoked. Everybody in line was anxiously awaiting going in. Earlier when the mic girl was getting the crowds riled up on the upper lot prior to release, the loudest wailing cheer was for this maze. You could feel the excitement in the air. It was a brisk ten minute wait and allowed myself to cool off and wipe down all the sweat on my forehead. But man, the adrenaline rushed right back in upon entering. I was expecting it to be awesome. And guess what? It was not awesome.

IT WAS EXTREMELY, RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME! Hands down the coolest haunt I've ever walked through in my entire life. The build-up in the forest with no scares was brilliant, and the detail was out-of-this-world. (hah) I just love the execution of all of the scares (the Alien/Predator gauntlet ones especially), and including just about everything you would want out of this kind of maze. The puppets were fantastic, and that queen at the end was breathtaking. We actually just... stood there when coming upon it. It's rude and holds up capacity and never in a million years in any other maze would I do that. But this deserved that rule-breaking, just for a moment. Absolutely pure wow. I both feel like they should and shouldn't bring this back next year. On one hand, I'd go nuts to see it again, on the other hand there's no way they could top it. Might as well be a one-hit wonder than something that becomes tired.

So we're just absolutely re-energized, and early entry being kinda awesome despite the workout gave my sister and I a chance to hop into a short, ten minute wait to experience Walking Dead again. This was neat since we were kind of out-of-it for the first go-around of this maze. We got to appreciate it more. Upon exiting we considered doing AVP again, but it was already a well-deserved 35 minute wait and our momentum was way too grand to slow it down like that, even on such an amazing maze.

Til Dusk Til Dawn had a 10-minute wait and it just reached 7:00, so we decided "what the hell?" and gave it a go. I made a note of Murdy's password and repeated it to the Gecko brothers. They responded by... showing me a drawing in their book. This held up the line and made me scratch my head. I guess little souvenir business cards were just too expensive for ol Universal this year. So we headed inside the seedy strip joint, and tried making sense of it. The storyline was simple, the scares good and the details were absolutely fantastic but overall the maze didn't leave a huge impact on us. My sister and I joked slightly about how much that stripper in the beginning must be groped throughout the night, and that was basically the highlight from TDTD for me. (...okay the half-naked girl helped a little too) Not bad, just a bit forgettable.

So we make the hike back to the lower lot and I fish around Transformers for some possible passes. A no-go, apparently only top tier managers have access to them this year due to capacity issues. Yikes. But as always we get sent through Gate A and end up giving our feet a well-deserved four minute rest in Evac. I literally spent the entire ride appreciating the sensation of not walking.

By this time it's 7:30, and we gear down the path for surely a long wait for American Werewolf in London. The event will finally catch up with us and this is where we grind to a halt, right?

Nope. Luck strikes again. AWiL was a five minute wait! We all know the JP extended queue maze has a ridiculously lengthy line to walk thru no matter what, which basically composed of nearly all of our waiting time. The maze was almost as great as the Orlando version, with its amazing storytelling guiding you straight through the movie. The werewolf transformation scenes are absolutely incredible, and the Nazi dream sequence scene was fantastic. Then the wolf puppets came... and yeah, they are good and do the job well. However, you can tell they had to pump more money into AvP's puppets, since they weren't quite the complex ones from the prior Orlando maze which took it a bit of a notch down. Still, I throughouly enjoyed it and it remains my second favorite of the event.

Wanting to rest a bit more, we decide to take advantage of the walk-on Jurassic Park in the Dark and have a good laugh. Because the combination of unexpected water splashes, malfunctioning effects and strobe light dinosaur raves set to Guns n' Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" is just the thing for an immense amount of hilarity. (my sister didn't believe me when I told her the ending of the HHN version of JP) It was a welcome eight minute moment of calm, funny brevity in our night, not to mention the sitting aspect. I mean, I miss when that used to be over forty minutes long but mmmmmmmmaybe I'm getting ahead of myself.  ;)

I was wrestling on whether or not to just do Clowns 3D by myself, as my sister who was nervous about being nauseated by the effects refused to go. I had already viewed the maze on YouTube and it looked like an uninspired mish-mash of previous 3D mazes and the old Klownz scarezone of HHNs past. When passing the exit earlier in the night we heard nothing but disappointed comments (along with that annoying honking noise), and almost inexplicably had a 35 minute wait next to AWiL's 10! (what is wrong with people?!) I didn't want to destroy our amazing momentum by waiting for something I most likely would not care for very much, so it was the only thing we fully passed on that evening. Looking back on it, I have zero regrets. I have felt that 3D mazes and clowns need to go away from HHN if they carry on like this for a long while, and so I figure a boycott nicely fits that opinion.

Heading upstairs while briefly mocking the gigantic crowds descending, we immediately bolted for a 10-minute Terror Tram wait. The time was about near 8, so we were doing excellent. Shortly enough we were seated in the tram and on our way. Now remember: my sister is a huge Walking Dead nut, and absolutely adored both the maze and the backlot scare zone, and has never done Terror Tram in her life. And yet she did not care for it at all. (she said the season 4 clip on the way out was the best part) The main issue was that in a seeming effort to help capacity, trams were unloading faster than usual and very little maze hosts actually tried enforcing people to keep walking, resulting in humongous crowds bottlenecking it up at several points. People would just stop in their tracks if they felt like it and nobody said anything. While I was of course grumbling about the thing being old and tired, we both were frustrated at being sardine canned with a bunch of rowdy teenagers trying to act edgy and clever at every single moment, which also includes treating a maze line like a mosh pit. 

Add this in with the fact that you have to go uphill which seems redundant and infuriating after having done the backlot walk twice... well yeah we really didn't enjoy the experience very much. At the very least the scareactors were very enthusiastic, which was nice. It was bad enough to the point where my sis, once again pretty much brand new to HHN immediately recognized a dead spot where a scare should've been, and she was 100% on-target. Embarrassing. The highlight for me? Walking off the tram and marveling at the sheer size of Hogwarts, now enclosed. There's something to be excited about.

We decided that the method of maze/ride/maze/ride was working out well for us, so we darted to The Simpsons Ride which hosted a 30-minute wait, figuring that we were fine at slowing down significantly for the rest of the event. (it was 8:45 by now, so yeah!) Wouldn't you know it but luck came upon us yet another time. Not only were we quickly ushered in the downstairs, more sedate basement queue, but we were a group of 2 behind large groups of nine and ten, so we waited... maybe four minutes at best before we took our spot in the midway. My sister enjoyed the ride and that's all that matters, it was sure The Simpsons Ride but we barely waited for it and that was a miracle that I can't really swat at.

So it's 9 and we're nearly done to our disbelief and we decide to finally take it real slow and grab some food. We speed over to Hollywood Grill (not before I shed a manly tear at the sight of the darkened Castle Theater, of course) and grab some chicken tenders. I really wanted Pibb Xtra but the Coke Freestyle machines were down (what a shock) which was a bit of a bummer, but whatever. Our next maze up on the list was Face Off, which I wanted to do solely to say goodbye to HoH. My sister is a fan of the show which helped her cause of wanting to see it as well. When we reached Hollywood Grill the wait time was 35 minutes. To our amazement, during the course of the meal, luck joined us one last time that evening as we watched the queue plummet from 35 to 10 minutes!!! All in the course of a simple 15-minute span. So we tossed our food, headed across the street and went straight in.

It's sad HOH is leaving, and I really wanted to like this one. Heck, I got the most scared out of this maze than any other. But it's not because it did its thing well, it's because the entire thing was incoherent as hell. The entire maze is predicated off the idea of showing off these costumes, yet over half are unable to be witnessed due to the horrid strobe lighting effects and sudden pitch black darkness. Sometimes I got the chance to appreciate the lovely House sets but mostly it was just wondering what was going on and being surprised by a scare actor who I honestly wasn't sure who they were because I can't make sense of anything. But I saw that flux capacitor one last time so that's okay I guess? Meh. We both agreed this one was a hot mess.

We decided to loop around to the scarezones. Dark Christmas was just absolutely a joy in every which way. One stilt walker refused to let my sister into the bathroom, which was hilarious. We couldn't get enough of the darn thing and it needs to come back next year as a full blown maze. It's too good not to. Just the exact type of twisted humorous merriment this event needs. (although a SHOW would help)

Mask-A-Raid was neat but kind of just there. I can say the same thing about The Purge since very little scareactors seemed to be roaming. We watched a tiny bit of the auctioneer which was a neat little piece of entertainment, but not quite enough. After a Dippin Dots purchase, we plunged into the 40 minute wait for Dracula Untold. This was the longest wait we had to do for a maze all night, and it wasn't even 40 minutes! The actual waiting time seemed to be more in the ballpark of 20.

I'm not sure if 20 minutes was worth it. I mean, I went in with low expectations and the maze both managed to frustrate me and surprise me. For every neat, innovative scare and set pieces (the catacombs, the paintings, the outdoor scenes), there was an amazingly incoherent mess right next to it (the black hallways, the burning TV set walls, and my favorite: the purple drapes scene)... plus nothing in the maze past the challis scene really made much sense story-wise. We walked out confused, for sure. It's not the worst thing the event has to offer and certainly has good along with bad... but wow. And we thought Face Off was a hot mess!

Not wanting to end the night on a sour note, and the fact that it was 11 made me suggest Despicable Me. My sister had not ridden it yet and the wait time was 40 minutes. Knowing how lucky we had been all night, we decided to take the risk. And yeah... luck ditched us. The line ballooned to 50 minutes while inside when five minutes in it went to a dead halt and theater one was shuttered, slashing capacity in half. We had already committed, so we found ourselves watching the queue loop over and over while the line rarely moved. I weep for anyone who waits in line for Orlando's version. My sis thought the ride, after we finally made it in after what seemed like an eternity, was funny and cute but we both agreed that the wait wasn't worth it. Heading out, I looked over to Silly Swirly as people looked over to it almost like they would ride it... and y'know... take people... off the streets. Hmm.

So we headed out just prior to midnight and my sister really liked it. Oh, if only she could've seen Bill and Ted.  :(

Anyways, overall I quite enjoyed this event despite many misgivings but I feel like if we weren't so lucky and so persistent that it could've easily have been different. And that shouldn't be the case... it should be great no matter what. The mood feels stifled by both the construction walls and the lack of a show, so while there was energy, it wasn't exactly the same as years past. The event's energy and fun seemed contained to the backlot and was intermittent everywhere else.

I feel like a broken record but I really, really don't care. Despite what Murdy said, bring back Bill and Ted. Make Horror Nights not about being lucky and strategic to have fun, but about just... being fun. 

Mazes from favorite to least:

1) Alien vs Predator

2) American Werewolf in London

3) The Walking Dead
4) Til Dusk Til Dawn

5) Face Off (if only for HOH)
6) Dracula Untold

7) Terror Tram

And of course, I didn't experience Clowns so it can't count. But I have a feeling it would've been right above Terror Tram. Especially if I waited over thirty minutes for it. 

Now I must sleep... 

...bring back Bill and Ted.

By the way, Brover, From Dusk till Dawn has two password receivers this year: the Gecko brothers who will let you see Richie's notebook, and the Doorman (loud, drunk-looking, Hispanic man in a hat) who will give you business cards with Santanico Pandemonium on them. I can post a photo of mine if you want. I managed to grab two, actually.

Santanico is love. Santanico is life.

Reactions: BernardMesa