Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Horizons: Resurrected

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
From Screamscape:

Fantastic news for fans of Horizons, Epcot’s once former premier dark ride experience that was sadly killed and replaced with Mission: Space. For a little flashback to the good old days of Horizons, you’ve got to check out the Horizons: Resurrected website. The plan here is to recreate a virtual 3D space version of Horizons… inside and out, include all the show scenes and animatronics so that someday we can all take a virtual POV ride through Horizons online anytime we like.

I’ve got to say I’m impressed with the quality of the work I’ve seen so far and can’t wait to take a virtual spin through Horzions again in the future. (And if you don’t like Horizons... well, your just wrong.)

I like this idea because it gives people like me who were too young to remember the attraction an opportunity to fully experience the attraction in some way. Most POVs don't feature the queue, post show or any other little details that I want to see.

If I could resurrect any one past attraction it would be Horizons, it was simply amazing. It represented everything Epcot stood for and for the life of me I can't understand why they didn't demolish UoE or WoL instead. For those who never got to ride it, you missed out on an E-Ticket like nothing else, it had moving vehicles attached to the ceiling which was different on its own, special effects, large "classic" sets and an interactive element with video screens. I accepted when Test Track replaced the World of Motion (which I enjoyed btw) but when I got off of MS for the first time all I could say is....why tear down Horizons for this???? I still don't understand and probably never will....IMO one of the worst moves in all of WDW's management teams history and a true middle finger from Eisner on his way out to fans and shareholders. Sorry end rant....now.

I really liked MS. But then I realized what it replaced..
Why not replace Ellen's Exciting World Of Fantastic Dinosaurs? ( :lol: I know that's not the name )

Personally I like MS. It's cool to feel what astronauts feel when they go up into space. Do I like it more than videos I've seen of Horizons? No, but I still like it.

To each their own but it was touted as the most expensive and most technological advanced as well as most intense ride in Disney history as well as being an interactive attraction. You would think somewhere in there a good ride would of came to be. The queue is really a good hype machine which only makes it worse.

What you get is a Disneyquest attraction(the way the view screens work) mixed with a Gravitron experience. How this thing had a larger budget than rides like Forbidden Journey is beyond me.

What sucks about the current Mission:Space is seeing the original plans for the pavilion. I'll try to find the article somewhere.

Wdwmagic's thread has some info on it. An imagineer who worked heavily on the attraction is on that thread and has given info on it. It was certainly different. Who knows if it would of been better, more than likely.

What sucks about the current Mission:Space is seeing the original plans for the pavilion. I'll try to find the article somewhere.

Please find this..... Or let me know the original plans I have no idea what they were.

Horizons is my all-time favorite theme park attraction, so I'm on board w/ your comments. However, I do have some slight, second-hand insight into why Horizons was demolished; my dad was on the Horizons maintenance team for a looonnngggg time. He told me that the geotech site work wasn't done properly and that a sinkhole was developing underneath the building due to the weight and size of the show building. Instead of repairing the foundation and building, Disney thought it was better served by spending their money on demolishing the building and creating a brand-new thrill attraction. It's sad because that ride sure inspired me and my imagination of the future, far more than a 2:00 centrifuge spin does; it's sad that my son and the new generation won't get to experience similar childhood wonder.

Of course, lack of sponsorship certainly didn't help Horizons survive the axe.

I HATE MISSION SPACE!!!!! I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::bang::bang::bang: The damn thing makes me sick to my stomach. The intense version is too extreme, and the tame version is too tame. the wait is never long, and it's akin to one of those lame simulators/centrifuges you can find in any museum or at Kennedy Space center. TRASH THE DAMN THING AND BRING BACK AN UPDATED VERSION OF HORIZONS...DO IT!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I HATE MISSION SPACE!!!!! I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::bang::bang::bang: The damn thing makes me sick to my stomach. The intense version is too extreme, and the tame version is too tame. the wait is never long, and it's akin to one of those lame simulators/centrifuges you can find in any museum or at Kennedy Space center. TRASH THE DAMN THING AND BRING BACK AN UPDATED VERSION OF HORIZONS...DO IT!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Take a deep breath and relax. That was kinda scary :lol:

:yikes: *goes into fetal position* I'm sorry, I'm sorry!