Horror Movies Thread | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Allison

Staff
Apr 18, 2018
uArJWvt.gif

Let’s discuss all things horror films!

Please use this thread to share your favorite scary movies, recommendations, or maybe some horror films you’re looking forward to seeing.

I'm an unashamed lover of all types of genre fare, be it films, video games or musicals. Which is funny in hindsight because I don't have the usual background of a typical horror fan, at least I don't think. Instead of being fascinated with the darkness as a youngin, one viewing of some parts of Child's Play 3 late at night had me sleeping with a night light on until I was a teenager. That gnawing itch to devour the genre didn't develop in me until I was a young teenager, well into high school but once it did, I couldn't stop.

I love horror films and the genre in general because it is such a tremendous medium for channeling my own fears, facing and defeating them. They are my happy place and offer such a release from the tense world we live in.

I'm a sucker for horror comedies and they are the pinnacles of my personal favorites. Evil Dead 2, House, Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Behind the Mask: the Rise of Leslie Vernon and Cabin in the Woods are some the classics in my eyes. It's damn artful to be able to blend the splatters of horror with the release of a laugh.

Two recent recommendations I'd give would be Netflix's His House and Shudder's One Cut of the Dead. His House seems like a very under-the-radar film but it deserves tons of praise and acclaim as a modern classic. It's poignant, meaningful, scary and you will be rooting for the main couple in droves by the end of the film. One Cut of the Dead is a supremely heartfelt zombie movie with a fun twist (seriously, the more in-the-dark you can go into it, the better) that will have you cheering for it's cast by the end. It's neck and neck with SotD as far as heartfelt, comedic zombie projects go for me!

Reactions: Allison
I actually saw the original Japanese horror film Dark Water on Tubi, and surprisingly I think I like it more than the US adaptation with Jennifer Connelly.

I actually saw the original Japanese horror film Dark Water on Tubi, and surprisingly I think I like it more than the US adaptation with Jennifer Connelly.

If you’re looking for other originals to watch, the original Thai version of Shutter is streaming and I found that one to be so unsettling.

I just saw the JJ Abrams produced Overlord the other day. Wyatt Russell looks so much like his dad, but for a move that held most of its marketing around Nazi zombies, they really made it a slow burn. Entertaining, but nothing earth shattering.

Any recommendations from the forum crowd for something on Amazon Prime?

Cool idea for a thread.

My favorite horror movie is unquestionably THE EXORCIST, which I think is not just the pinnacle of the genre, but one of the greatest films ever made. Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING is a very close second.

Boring picks, I know!

La Llorona is a great horror movie with a social conscious, from Guatemala.

Host is a modern classic. Great horror shot over Zoom that's less than an hour long. More visually dynamic than Unfriended.

Blood Quantum is a badass gory zombie movie.

Terrified (Aterrados) is a great supernatural horror that's like Conjuring but much, much gorier. Seriously recommend that one, it was one of Shudder's highlights for the longest time.

Satan's Slaves is a great horror flick from Indonesia.

So Watched all the Scream films back for Halloween.

My favorites were the 1st one and 4th one. 3 is in some ways the darkest because of the backstory but kill wise is the most PG (if you look into it it had to do with the school shootings of the late 90s)
Scream 2 is fun but kinda prefer 4 over it, so I'm excited about the next Scream.

While not a Scary movie...also looking forward to Resident Evil 8 because its been a long time now since I have had a new Horror experience...no mazes last year, Saw new film has been pushed back...so excited to be scared again...soonish

Reactions: belloq87

So I know it is a superhero show, but in terms of gore and just brutal visuals on par with some of the best horror out there (not to mention some horrific character morals) I would recommend The Boys if you haven't seen it yet.

Hell House LLC is recommended often by people, and I enjoyed it enough to recommend too if you like found footage and more low budget horror! I think being on the haunt side of things myself kind of took me out of it though, only given that I would have been tiiiiicked if I had paid to go through that low rent haunt :lol:

Finally, if you are looking for a weird one, I'd go for Come to Daddy. Elijah Wood is sort of a stunted millennial who travels back to try and reconnect with his father after years of estrangement, and I literally cannot tell you more than that. I HIGHLY recommend going in blind though (meaning no trailers, discussion videos, anything), because this thing takes so many left turns it might as well be a NASCAR race.

These are just three off the top of my head!

Reactions: Allison and Grabnar
Anyone have some good Shudder recs that I might not have heard of? Looks like I’ll have plenty of time to watch stuff over the next 10 days

Tigers Are Not Afraid is a pretty solid ghost story that's reminiscent of early Guillermo del Toro works.

This looks like absolutely bonkers fun and is getting good reviews. On Amazon Prime too. Described as a mix of Hellraiser, Wishmaster, and Power Rangers. I plan on watching it soon.

Edit: Well, looks like its Prime Video, so you'd still either have to rent or buy. Still, looks amazing.

Reactions: rageofthegods

Anyone have some good Shudder recs that I might not have heard of? Looks like I’ll have plenty of time to watch stuff over the next 10 days

Host is a recent one on Shudder that I really enjoyed.

As far as Amazon Prime, I’ll second the Hell House LLC recommendation (Hell House LLC 2 I found was also pretty creepy), and a weird, little known sequel When A Stranger Calls Back even if just for the super unsettling first half hour.

a weird, little known sequel When A Stranger Calls Back even if just for the super unsettling first half hour.

The opening sequence is excellent. Just about on the same level as the classic opening from the original movie.

And just like that original movie, ...CALLS BACK peaks too early and never gets that chilling again for the rest of the film!

The opening sequence is excellent. Just about on the same level as the classic opening from the original movie.

And just like that original movie, ...CALLS BACK peaks too early and never gets that chilling again for the rest of the film!

Yep, I think the sequel has it’s moments
the hospital scene is really disturbing to me, the body paint scene I find to also be pretty creepy
but the first half hour is really, IMO, one of the most tense things I think I’ve ever watched. It definitely doesn’t get enough attention.

Yep, I think the sequel has it’s moments
the hospital scene is really disturbing to me, the body paint scene I find to also be pretty creepy
but the first half hour is really, IMO, one of the most tense things I think I’ve ever watched. It definitely doesn’t get enough attention.

There's definitely some good stuff after that first act, just nothing that packs quite the same punch.

Meanwhile, I've never bothered with the 2000s WHEN A STRANGER CALLS remake, but I assume it's easily the worst of the three movies.

There's definitely some good stuff after that first act, just nothing that packs quite the same punch.

Meanwhile, I've never bothered with the 2000s WHEN A STRANGER CALLS remake, but I assume it's easily the worst of the three movies.

I haven’t watched the remake in ages, but, iirc it’s just a long, drawn out version of the first 15 minutes of the original, although, nowhere near as suspenseful and interesting.

Neat short! And yeah, CHOPPING MALL is definitely a fun, goofy time for schlock fans.

1984's THE INITIATION is a semi-underrated "horror in a shopping mall" quasi-slasher movie, as well, with some pretty wild plot developments! Streaming for free (with ads) on Tubi, if anyone's curious.

Reactions: JaySalahi