Howl-O-Scream (San Diego) | Inside Universal Forums

Howl-O-Scream (San Diego)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 10, 2013
No man's land: SoCal
Was kind of surprised to see that there's no SWSD HoS thread (Could've sworn there was one), but I guess I'll start it with a review.

Drove from LA to San Diego in the early afternoon for HoS, but did some detours before the event. Went to Phil's BBQ for lunch (HIGHLY recommend the place) and then went to Belmont to ride the Giant Dipper and see the beach. After we were done, we headed to the park and got in around 6:15.

Before the event started they had a big holding area where they would entertain you with a DJ and a bar while you waited for the opening ceremony and for the event to start. You can even start to line up for Nightmare Experiment before the event even begins, but we decided against that and went for the back of the park once all of the festivities began. More on that later, but to spoil what happens, it was a great call! Before I review the houses, please be aware that I'm not gonna shy away from spoilers as we're in the final week of haunt season. I don't spoilers will matter at this point unless you really want to make a last-minute trip to go. Reviewing in order of what I've accomplished:

Simon's Slaughterhouse: This was my least-anticipated of the three but this turned out to be my favorite one. Scares were quite intense and had a lot of great energy from the cast. It also helped that we were one of the few people in that entire section at the time so we had the house all to ourselves! Great way to start the night.

Death Water Bayou: This was my most-anticipated but turned out to be the weakest one for me! I would've enjoyed this house a lot more had I not gotten bunched in with several people. There was a healthy line of people that lasted about 15 min so they were trying to ram everyone through....well, I wouldn't say ram through, but more push people through with multiple groups going at once. We were literally supposed to be next with no one in front of us for a good while until two express people walked up and got most of the scares. Ugh. This was the most well-designed house in terms of scenic though. I liked how the utilized the outdoor Wild Arctic queue for the "outdoor" portion and then used the inside of the building for when we go inside the shack. Very detailed and well-designed despite getting the short end of the stick for scares.

Nightmare Experiment: We were tempted to hit this one first seeing the healthy line in the waiting area before the event started, but we decided against it and went for Simon's at the back first. Turns out that was an excellent call. By the time we got back to this house, the queue was empty. We had the house all to ourselves and had a great runthrough. Great details and good use of the props for the rooms. I was really pleasantly surprised at the end with those multiple scares above your head of those audio trigger dummies lowering suddenly above your head. They didn't have to do that but I thought that was great to see an "over-the-head" scare like that!

The Vampire Circus show was pretty cool. There were some great acts in the show. I was really hoping to see the ferris wheel act that I saw in the videos but I guess it got cut. Booooooo. Oh well.

Scarezones were great! I also loved how they put an effort to have some scenic and cool sets for the scarezones. They really enhance the experience. It's also great to see the scareactors utilize some of them! I feel like HoS has a serious edge over HHNH with scarezones. In the toy scarezone, they had a dummy "puppet master" on top of one of the buildings while one of the scareactors was held by strings making it look like the dummy was controlling her. It was really neat! I also loved seeing La Llorona slowly walking on the grass area away from everyone. While not outright scary, it was very unsettling and made for great atmosphere.

Also did Atlantis, Manta (2x!), and Electric Eel at night. Manta is one of my favorite coasters in SoCal (And I believe the most underrated). Electric Eel is also really fun despite it being an off-the-shelf clone.

Overall, I had a great time at SWSD's first HoS! Is it worth the long drive from LA to SD? Eh, I think it was, but I really don't see myself spending all of that gas and mileage just to see it again this year one last time. If nothing else, I got to ride Electric Eel and Manta again! I was really curious to check it out and I'm glad I did! For their first year I would say it's pretty solid. This event was clearly for the local San Diegans who aren't hot to make the drive up the 5 to see HHN or KSF and want something local that doesn't outright suck (ahem, Terror Trail and Fairgrounds). The houses were surprisingly detailed and were pretty creative with some scares! I liked the dummy scares over your head in Nightmare Experiment. Even the simple drop door scares were well done. Those are scares you never see at HHN Hollywood, but a little variety in scares go a long way! It's nice to see another theme park haunt not locked into just boo hole after boo hole like HHNH is obsessed with. While the event not quite HHNH good (Even then, I only enjoyed HHNH just a hair more than HoS this year), it's a pretty solid start for an event that I could see getting bigger and better in the coming years!

If I had to look for improvements, I would say the event could've used just one more house. Starting off with three was just right for a starting event, but next year, but it's would be great if the event had four total. However, if they can only afford to do a fourth house that's just "meh", then they should stick with three. Also, it would be nice to see a bit more audio trigger scares used sparingly and use the bungee scares that HoS Orlando uses. Other than that, I can't really think of any glaring flaws that stood out for me. I guess it was kind of odd how the event closed insanely early for a haunt event (10:00!) Not a huge downer for me as I was able to do everything I wanted comfortably, but still.

I did get to check out SW Orlando's HoS as well! but I'll do a comparison on that thread since I've already written a LOT over here. But yeah, I really liked HoS SD! I'll most likely be back next year as I look forward to what they will have then! Also to give a spoiler for my comparison to this and Orlando's...well, I think I enjoyed this more by just a hair though. I'll say why over there.

Sounds like they made a good start east coast and west coast with HoS. Looking forward to see what next year brings and see if they expand the events in all the parks.

Glad you made this thread... we went about two weeks ago, and was surprised to find no real info here about it.

I pretty much echo what you said. I went in with low expectations, but the mazes were actually pretty good. We also skipped Nightmare Experiment first and went straight to the back, which was a good plan. While the theming not on the level of HHN or Knott's, it wasn't too much below, and above an elaborate home haunt. Also found most of the mazes relatively long, with dedicated talent. And I also enjoyed the show. And the lines for mazes are basically non-existent for the last hour of the park, so we were able to do each maze twice without the need for any sort of express pass. And I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard anymore mention their tribute store (by Simon's Slaughterhouse).... it was surprisingly good!

Scarezones were pretty minimally themed (though lighting was good), but again, scareactors were committed to their roles. I also found it interesting the scareactors would talk and engage, which generally isn't done at HHN or KSF, so that was fun. I didn't like how a few of the scareactors would use screaming right into your ear as a tactic, which happened in a few scarezones and a maze. Could do without that.

There's a few things that need work. On the whole, three mazes don't feel like enough, and I don't think I'd make the drive down from LA again until they added at least two more mazes. But I also gave them a pass for their inaugural year. I also didn't like how pretty much all the haunt happening were on one side of the park, making the other side of the park feel like an afterthought. And while we did get a ride on Manta, the lines for rides, much like Knott's, got really long really fast. It was the only ride we did all night. Still, a good value for the price, and the show alone was practically worth the admission. It's a good start, and if they continue to develop it, I'd likely return.

Oh, and my favorite place to eat is World Curry in the Pacific Beach area just north of the park. I try to visit it everytime I'm down in SD!

Just a heads up that HOS is having its "Mayhem Sale" for $37 each when you buy 2 or more. No real details thus far on what HOS 2023 is going to look like though, or how it might differ from last year... Hopefully this year's event will have a bigger budget and staff than last year's.

Is anyone going to this event? I would like to go but I haven’t heard much.
I was going to but plans fell through

Also not a fan of the events where you have to exit the park and reenter again. Werid when the park needs AP but then makes all AP go line up again to get back in when they were already in the park

We’ll probably skip it again this year. I went the first year and it was pretty rough— might check it out next year, though.
I went the first year and enjoyed it. Flawed? Yes, but I took it for what it was. I understand why you don’t want to go.

Reactions: Rideguy70
I was going to but plans fell through

Also not a fan of the events where you have to exit the park and reenter again. Werid when the park needs AP but then makes all AP go line up again to get back in when they were already in the park
I was checking to see if anyone wanted to go but it seems this may be only SD ppl going lol

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I'll be going this year, but I'm not getting my hopes up lol. From looking at the event map, it looks like the only change from last year is that the main stage show has been replaced with a smaller Siren show near Arctic Rescue. That, and possibly some other smaller shows have been cut too. Here's hoping the returning houses and scare zones (which is all of them) have at least been upgraded with more actors and theming... Last year one of the "scare zones" was literally just one actor roaming around an empty pathway with some blue lighting.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I'll be going this year, but I'm not getting my hopes up lol. From looking at the event map, it looks like the only change from last year is that the main stage show has been replaced with a smaller Siren show near Arctic Rescue. That, and possibly some other smaller shows have been cut too. Here's hoping the returning houses and scare zones (which is all of them) have at least been upgraded with more actors and theming... Last year one of the "scare zones" was literally just one actor roaming around an empty pathway with some blue lighting.
Are you going opening weekend?

So whats going on with events and no Bag Polices

I don't understand security is staffed up at all these events, is it really just so people don't sneak in food/drinks? Or something else

But insane these super....super small bag and no bag polices at these events and USH has like 25+ thousand guests but allow bags in

I'd imagine it's more for alcohol and weapons, which rightfully so should be taken seriously.
So the current security measures.....don't work?

it's following a trend that has been going on for sports arenas for the last few years. I believe the stated goal is to make the security screening process quicker — that's why some events provide certain exceptions for clear bags.
I'm fine with clear bags, but no bags or like tiny bags that no human owns to me is just too far. We've had bag checks since the end of 2001, so not sure why they aren't worried people can sneak things in the day but at night it would be harder to check?

On the make it quicker, make two lines people with and without bags another thing that has been going on file at most parks

Are you going opening weekend?
I can't make it for opening weekend, so if you go let us know how it is. I've already got the tickets to go twice, but at least I'll know whether I need to temper my expectations in advance :lmao: My favorite part of the event last year was the amphitheater show and that's been cut for this year, so I'm not particularly optimistic, but maybe the park's new entertainment director has breathed life into HOS like he did with the spring and summer events. From the map the only new addition I see other than the siren show is the addition of "Vile Vignettes"... Not sure what those are, maybe photo ops? They've also eliminated (or stopped marking) the two "scareas" and one of the scare zones.

The bag policy seems unreasonable... Has there been an issue with people stealing stuff in past years, specifically during HOS?? Are they planning to be so understaffed that there will be no one to catch would-be theives? Idk what other rationale there could be that wouldn't also apply during the day. I always like to bring a backpack or drawstring bag in case I buy souvenirs or need a jacket; this basically just ensures I won't buy anything.

Last edited:
So I made it to HOS this weekend, and these were my thoughts:
  • The event footprint this year is the smallest yet. It's basically the layout from last year but the path near Nautilus pavilion is closed. Last year that area was technically a "scare zone" but it was literally just a woman walking around in fog, so not much of a loss there, but it is annoying that every path is now a dead end.
  • The houses were all repeats from last year. There might have been some minor updates, which I’ll get into in detail later, but otherwise everything seems pretty much unchanged.
  • Scare zones and atmosphere felt a tad better. It’s still sparse and almost everything is the same, but I do think there were a few new props and set pieces here and there, and they made good use of fog, lighting, and music to keep anywhere from feeling truly lifeless. There were a couple brief moments where I got a sense of the eerie, 'scary' feeling that I've always associated with HOS.
  • Entertainment was weak. I appreciated that were were several smaller “vignette” performances around the event which contributed to the atmosphere, but there wasn't a single true show. Nothing in a dedicated venue, and even the Siren's Song “show” was just a one song choreographed dance routine with a handful of performers. I’m not aware of any other HOS that doesn’t have a major show of any kind, and the event definitely suffered without it.
  • Death Water Bayou: seemed like a slight improvement. Last year I remember most of the maze was just 7' walls with no ceiling or any sort of covering. This year, it didn’t seem as noticeable, and I noticed a lot of mesh, moss etc hanging overhead.
  • Area 64: still my favorite maze here, as it’s the only one that doesn’t feel like it was recycled from another park. The decor has definitely been changed because the speakeasy entrance looks different from last year.
  • Simon’s Slaughterhouse: didn’t seem much different. The maze is pretty short and simple.
  • Circus of the Damned 3D: well, they ran out of the 3D glasses before I went through, and let’s just say you’ll definitely want them. You’re basically walking through a bare maze of wooden wall panels covered in trippy paint, and I just have to assume that looks really cool with diffraction glasses on. The speakeasy was a nice touch, and I don’t know if they had it last year. Otherwise, this was my least favorite house; it feels like something you’d find at a county fair.
  • Nightmare Experiment: still feels like half of a discarded house from BGT, but it’s also still thematically one of the strongest houses. Looks like they cleared out a Spirit Halloween to spruce it up with animatronics, and while they don’t have the same impact as the human actors they’re likely replacing, they do at least bring some simulacrum of energy to rooms where there would otherwise be nothing happening.
  • Food and merch were about the same. Overpriced—with the exception of the speakeasy cocktails—and pretty unspectacular, which is a shame when the other SeaWorld parks often have some pretty cool stuff. Interestingly, some of the houses now force you to exit through a gift shop, but none of the merchandise is theme-specific.
This definitely seems like an off year for HOS. I hope for next year it can get the budget needed to be as good as other SoCal haunts or HOS at other parks in the chain. This would be my wish list to drastically improve the event:
  • Drop the circus stuff, it's a tired theme and doesn't fit SeaWorld
  • Give everything an overarching 'sea' theme like SWO does.
  • Group houses, bars, and scare zones into distinct themed zones that all tie together.
  • Have at least one headliner show.
  • More scare actors, both in the houses and throughout the park.