Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hulk Coaster First B&M Launch Coaster?

Skold

VIP Member
Feb 17, 2016
So, @Yung1522 posted this awesome amazing video about the opening of IOA. It is fantastic - there's even a commercial from the original VHS recording! XD

About 31 minutes in

There is a bit about UC researching ways to launch Hulk. This got me wondering - why did they even have to research this? Was it the first launched coaster? From what I understand (very little, ba-dum-dum), it is the first (and maybe only) tire-launch coaster. But what about LSM? Invented after?

I know we have more than a few coaster enthusiasts on here - would love to hear more about the history behind this. :cheers:

So, @Yung1522 posted this awesome amazing video about the opening of IOA. It is fantastic - there's even a commercial from the original VHS recording! XD

There is a bit about UC researching ways to launch Hulk. This got me wondering - why did they even have to research this? Was it the first launched coaster? From what I understand (very little, ba-dum-dum), it is the first (and maybe only) tire-launch coaster. But what about LSM? Invented after?

I know we have more than a few coaster enthusiasts on here - would love to hear more about the history behind this. :cheers:

They’re probably still laughing that they managed to convince the higher ups to let them weld some shipping containers together, put a go kart inside it attached to some weights and a pulley.

Like @JoeCamel said: it was the first B&M launch coaster but here don’t build the launch.

They’re probably still laughing that they managed to convince the higher ups to let them weld some shipping containers together, put a go kart inside it attached to some weights and a pulley.

Like @JoeCamel said: it was the first B&M launch coaster but here don’t build the launch.
When all they had was the launch set up during the rebuild I dearly wanted them to shoot something into the lagoon. Would have had worldwide airplay for years

When all they had was the launch set up during the rebuild I dearly wanted them to shoot something into the lagoon. Would have had worldwide airplay for years

This takes me back:

In case you were interested, it would launch about 56metres or it would land here.
tI9xLvb.jpg

Awesome! But this leads to so many more questions! XD

Why didn't B&M just reverse engineer the other ones? I mean, travelling the world, looking at coal cars and stuff, seems kinda "Joe Rohde", doesn't it?

And what about the magnets?

Why didn't B&M just reverse engineer the other ones? I mean, travelling the world, looking at coal cars and stuff, seems kinda "Joe Rohde", doesn't it?

At the time, I believe there were a lot of concerns about using LIMs on an incline. They didn’t want the train slipping back into the station.

It sounds like B&M is giving it a real go with the Surf Coaster potentially coming soon

But yeah, not the first launch coaster...and to add, launch coaster technology has...well...accelerated quite rapidly since the 90s

It's interesting to track the evolution of launches from Hulk to Mummy to Hagrid to Velocicoaster

I think there is a lot of smaller reasons why; the magnetic launch technology wasn't quite there yet and as was mentioned in the video, it would have used a ton of electricity which they managed to avoid by using the flywheel setup.

@Legacy point about the incline is also valid. If the LIMs fail and it starts to roll back, it's right into the station.

Another major point is going to be the weight of the trains. Plenty of other launches were on a level piece of track and were launching 2 across trains. 4 across on an incline is going to be using double, triple the force needed.

Even 20 years later, the Beijing clone is still using the tyre launch system.