Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

ICON Park

I thought this was a Wheel of Fortune thread. :lol:

This sounds pretty cool. I was looking at some of the pictures already built and this looks like a great addition to I-Drive.

We recently went on a giant wheel at Niagara Falls, nothing like the size of this one though. 40 people per car, that is friggin huge! It's cool though that will be a great addition to the Orlando skyline and anything new and family oriented can only improve I-drive.

Deader than me, sadly.
Yes, deader is a word.
I always wanted to see this become a reality. I have a huge fear of heights, but I love going into tall places just so I can work away that fear. I love the rush of it, but I never really get to sit and enjoy it all. Now, we do have the sky tower at Sea World, but I haven't been on that for years, haha.

From the Orlando Sentinel:
Merlin Entertainments Group, the company developing Legoland Florida in Winter Haven, said it is working with two other companies to bring some of its other attractions to the long-vacant Mercado property on International Drive.

Merlin said Wednesday it plans to bring at least three of its global attraction brands to Orlando, as part of a retail and entertainment complex called I-Walk Orlando. The attractions will include Madame Tussauds and The Orlando 'Eye' – a 425 foot high observation wheel. The third attraction is still under discussion, a spokesperson for the company said.

Merlin is working with Circle Entertainment Inc. of New York, and Orlando-based developer Unicorp on the project. Discussions are "well-advanced" according to the British attractions company. If an agreement is reached, the attractions will be a key part of the development, which is scheduled to open in 2013, Merlin said.

Merlin, the company behind the famed London Eye, said it will provide the global "Eye" brand to the project, as well as development and management expertise. The wheel itself would be owned by Circle Entertainment, which has licensed the technology from local ride developer Bill Kitchen of US Thrillrides.

"I-Walk Orlando is destined to be a 'must visit' destination for Orlando's millions of visitors," said Nick Varney, Merlin's chief executive officer. "With this project we believe Merlin, Unicorp and Circle Entertainment will be bringing an exceptional group of new attractions to what is undoubtedly the best and most exciting location for family entertainment anywhere in the world."

In an interview with the Sentinel earlier this year, Varney said he felt some of the company's smaller attractions would fit well in Central Florida.

"We do see Florida generally -- and Orlando specifically -- as a location where we would put some of these midway brands," said Varney in mid-January. "In particular, we're thinking of Madame Tussauds as an interesting proposition because, you know, it is a global brand that is the celebration of celebrity."

The Mercado property, located about a mile-and-a-half north of the Orange County Convention Center, has been vacant for years after the failed Mercado shopping-and-dining center was knocked down in 2007 to make way for a 350,000-square-foot complex of retail and restaurants. That project never got off the ground.

This could be interesting. I've been to both the NYC and London Tussaud's and they are both fun and interesting.

Bank on this one having a Walt Disney figure for sure in it.