Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Iger Stepping Down, Chapek Replaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go one step further: the failure of succession planning for such a large company is an abject failure of the BoD and Iger. From delaying his retirement time and time again, to letting go nearly half a dozen replacements, and then to think he'll be able to play in the sandbox when Chapek gets the blame. It's INSANE.

I do think though that there are a lot of publications going after Chapek because he isn't playing the game like Iger did. He isn't schmoozing or playing Hollywood, and I think these articles show it. What I worry about is the stuff they're talking about less - internal fissures, Yes Men, a creative drain, and customer frustration.
It's all part of the game to massage the image. Bob is no massage therapist

I'll go one step further: the failure of succession planning for such a large company is an abject failure of the BoD and Iger. From delaying his retirement time and time again, to letting go nearly half a dozen replacements, and then to think he'll be able to play in the sandbox when Chapek gets the blame. It's INSANE.

I do think though that there are a lot of publications going after Chapek because he isn't playing the game like Iger did. He isn't schmoozing or playing Hollywood, and I think these articles show it. What I worry about is the stuff they're talking about less - internal fissures, Yes Men, a creative drain, and customer frustration.
I think out of all of the choices Iger had, Chapek was by far the worst. I'd take Staggs any day over Chapek and i'd also take Kevin Meyer over Chapek. I think it's been said that Iger chose Chapek over Meyer because Chapek was more business focused and because he had the theme park experience (basically a numbers guy like Rasulo was).

However, i'd rather have someone like Meyer running the company who, much like Iger, came from the entertainment side of the business and understood Hollywood and how to have solid relationships with executives. To me, the most important part of Disney's business is their streaming + theatrical and he understood not only all of that but how to have good relationships with those people, unlike Chapek, who can't even muster a smile. The theme park business would be a learning curve, but it's not like Chapek particularly even likes the parks. He was only put at the helm of the parks to fill out his resume, just like they did with Staggs.

HOORAY!

I think he's only here to help stabilize the company and set a new path, but happy to have a more creative thinker vs a spreadsheet guy like Chapeck.
This is also a chance for him to properly pick a successor. Out of everything in Iger's tenure, I think he did a lot right, made some decisions that weren't necessarily good for parks, but his most obvious worst move was his last one - picking Bob Chapek to be his successor because he failed to properly groom someone else into the role.

Hilarious that they're doing this the Sunday night before Thanksgiving.

I honestly wonder if this is a mistake by Iger, though. Chapek was a bad CEO but many of his biggest challenges were outside of his control and some of his more unpopular decisions - streaming price raises chief among them - were probably gonna have to happen at some point.

Iger left having completely secured his legacy as a nice guy visionary who turned Disney into one of the most powerful companies on Earth. Now he'll have to figure out how to make money from streaming and keep the company afloat at a time when interest rates are high and cable TV is finally dying. Never count out Iger but I don't really see how you do that without pissing some people off.

Anyway, successor. Wonder if Peter Rice, who hasn't taken a new job since his ouster, was holding out for something like this to happen.

I’ve noticed most fans aren’t very happy about it, and want Micheal Eisner back as CEO, but I’d rather wanna see a new face with three things than Iger again.

1. A mentality similar to both Walt and Michael.
2. Staying apolitical at all times with no to little degrees.
3. Having the best knowledge of business strategies and decisions.

I’ve noticed most fans aren’t very happy about it, and want Micheal Eisner back as CEO, but I’d rather wanna see a new face with three things than Iger again.

Interesting contrast, because my Facebook feed (which has many AP holders and CMs in it) are overjoyed by the decision. I don’t put much stock in Facebook most of the time, but that’s because I don’t use it and instead use Twitter. But just found it interesting so many people I knew were talking about it and in a positive manner.

Also, it’s impossible, as Chapek found out, to stay apolitical at all times. He stayed apolitical then opened his mouth when it was too late and got hate from both sides. That’s hard to do.

So disappointing, Chapek did very well running Disney into the ground. It was so entertaining to watch.
I heard people aren't happy with Iger coming back, they want Walt, but Walt's frozen head said he felt, like himself, the company is missing a heart and soul and he doesn't recognize it anymore.
Anyway, next Kathleen Kennedy?

I think D’Amaro is/was the next pick

Status
Not open for further replies.