Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Iger Stepping Down, Chapek Replaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bit, unimaginative and boring member berries consumption fodder. And that is me reacting very mildly.
Unlike Star Wars...the movies based on Flash Gordon, Samurai films and Westerns and the force is based on the Voice in Dune

If you don't like it fine but to in anyway not see that Mando is the most by a country mile successful SW property since Disney bought it and basically making a character so loved I'm sure at this point Grodu is one of the top ten selling merch for Star Wars Characters and also getting people back into Star Wars and making its own mini Universe within Star Wars that people like but who ever green lite the idea I hope got a raise.

If you don't like it fine but to in anyway not see that Mando is the most by a country mile successful SW property since Disney bought it and basically making a character so loved I'm sure at this point Grodu is one of the top ten selling merch for Star Wars Characters and also getting people back into Star Wars and making its own mini Universe within Star Wars that people like but who ever green lite the idea I hope got a raise.
That is a very capitalistic approach to what should be considered art and that is exactly what Disney is doing. It's not making art, it's making content for consumers to make money, it doesn't mean it's good. I predict in 5 years time no one will have fond memories about the Mandelorian series, it happened and everyone went to the next thing that is offered to the consumer and they will eat whatever crap is served because it's never fulfilling as art does.

Unlike Star Wars...the movies based on Flash Gordon, Samurai films and Westerns and the force is based on the Voice in Dune

I mean, when you put it like that, I'm kinda with @tielo here. Star Wars was a once-in-a-lifetime combination of a ton of different influences, both obscure and populist (I'd also throw in the war movies of the 1950s to your list - compare the opening of Empire Strikes Back to the opening of Where Eagles Dare, for example), to create something wholly new. Sure, it drew inspiration from many different movies, but who would've ever thought to put all of them together?

Contrast that with The Mandalorian - a show I ultimately like, to be clear. In a very literal sense, it does bring in new influences to Star Wars. The plot seems to cribbing from Lone Wolf & Cub, a trashy-but-fun Samurai film series from the 70s. But is that really bringing in anything truly new when it's just drawing from the same pool of influences that has always informed Star Wars? Like, this is an extremely diverse world with infinite possibility for new locales and stories. Where's our Star Wars noir? Where's our Star Wars horror movie or comedy?

Contrast that with The Mandalorian - a show I ultimately like, to be clear. In a very literal sense, it does bring in new influences to Star Wars. The plot seems to cribbing from Lone Wolf & Cub, a trashy-but-fun Samurai film series from the 70s. But is that really bringing in anything truly new when it's just drawing from the same pool of influences that has always informed Star Wars? Like, this is an extremely diverse world with infinite possibility for new locales and stories. Where's our Star Wars noir? Where's our Star Wars horror movie or comedy?
You do have a point about how all SW is at it's core very same-y. We don't see it in different genres than "Space Westerns" really. I do think Andor has a chance of providing some new things, but we'll see.

Either way, this conversation is happening in the wrong thread. Create a new one if you guys want, but that's enough for this thread.

I feel like speculation about a CEO's departure hits bigger when it comes from the Hollywood Reporter.

"It is unclear at this point whether Chapek, 61, can execute a reset with Disney staff and creative partners. A cartoon hanging in the production offices of The Simpsons seems to suggest an opinion: It has Chapek in the “In Memoriam” section of the Oscars show. "

I feel like speculation about a CEO's departure hits bigger when it comes from the Hollywood Reporter.

"It is unclear at this point whether Chapek, 61, can execute a reset with Disney staff and creative partners. A cartoon hanging in the production offices of The Simpsons seems to suggest an opinion: It has Chapek in the “In Memoriam” section of the Oscars show. "

That was my favorite part of the article. Glad to see the Simpsons are still the Simpsons.

Hard to say this but I hope the cash starts to dry up soon (inflation and pandemic demand now used up) as it's the only way I can see him being ousted.

As for the board, they don't appear to be taking a long term view of the reputation of the business. You need to maintain that reputation if you want the cash to continue flowing. Having Chapek in place is the worst possible PR move.

I have my complaints about Iger, but he did keep Disney's employees happy, and most importantly, proud. You can be mad at decisions, but if you work for Disney you're proud to. Chapek seems to be bringing the worst of corporate culture to his tenure: out-of-touch PR, failing their employees, not standing up for what they believe in, and making people ashamed to work for the company.

I think the biggest issue is, they couldn’t find a replacement for Iger after looking for what like 2 years? So for now they have to buy time publicly to protect the stock as much as possible by showing their support in Chapek until a replacement falls in their lap.

I think the biggest issue is, they couldn’t find a replacement for Iger after looking for what like 2 years? So for now they have to buy time publicly to protect the stock as much as possible by showing their support in Chapek until a replacement falls in their lap.
They never did find a replacement for Iger. Chapek lucked into the job because he was the closest to it at the time when Iger decided he was going to abruptly retire because he didn't want to be blamed for the company's downward spiral due to COVID. He knew how big of a deal it was way before we all did. He has a lot of political connections and we know many politicians were selling stocks before any big news on just how bad this was could break.

Its because Chapek fired his replacement Time Rice giving him more time to stay
More like Catherine Powell, but yeah.

Problem is, for as “poorly as the company is being run” WDW is poised to make ungodly amounts of money this year, literally making 2019 look like peanuts, and that’s what the board cares about. Hopefully it’s only a two year extension so when the hangover from whatever this is being called hits, revenge travel or something, the board will decide to move on.
making people ashamed to work for the company.
If someone can’t get a job where they’re both way happier and also making a ton more money than Mickey is willing to pay with the way the job market is right now, Chapek ain’t the problem.

Problem is, for as “poorly as the company is being run” WDW is poised to make ungodly amounts of money this year, literally making 2019 look like peanuts, and that’s what the board cares about. Hopefully it’s only a two year extension so when the hangover from whatever this is being called hits, revenge travel or something, the board will decide to move on.

If someone can’t get a job where they’re both way happier and also making a ton more money than Mickey is willing to pay with the way the job market is right now, Chapek ain’t the problem.

Not according to the trades...The trades all had the next two choices being Tim Rice or Kareem Daniel and if Disney was going to go with the first female CEO, it would likely be Dana Walden.

Chapek got rid of Tim Rice last week promoting Dana Walden.

Not according to the trades...The trades all had the next two choices being Tim Rice or Kareem Daniel and if Disney was going to go with the first female CEO, it would likely be Dana Walden.

Chapek got rid of Tim Rice last week promoting Dana Walden.
Right, Catherine was years before those. She absolutely was a threat to him on the Parks side and would have been in the correct chair when Iger stepped down. And she was a threat because she actually “got it.”

A zebra doesn’t change its stripes.

I'm not 100% convinced Chapek's contract is getting renewed. Disney can find another stooge with Iger's "guidance" to lead the way forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.