Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Iger Stepping Down, Chapek Replaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Succession planning is near perpetual... it's not like they were just like, eff it, Bob C, you're up. I was expecting a minimum of 12 months of overlap transition no matter what.

Regarding the potential political rationale, Iger also thought he could waltz in and own an NFL team and look how that went for him so I can see how that could be his (poor) thinking.

One final note, the who's up next for Bob C's role talk on the thread that went poof... didn't see Colglazier's name mentioned. He was the other half of the Catherine Powell level. Pretty sure Josh doesn't have international experience.

Here’s how it would have gone in a healthy situation: during the last conf call Iger announces he’s stepping down this summer or fall and Chapek will transition over to running by then. During this time Iger will take more hands off role but remain CEO and final say man.

Staying on as a Chairman is pretty standard and NOT a transition plan.

You do not want this dude to touch the high end animation built on a multiple decades to come in try to cost cut and outsource.

The only potential silver lining is Chapek bungling this so badly that other studios have a chance to make up ground against Disney's total dominance in the entertainment industry. Otherwise, buckle up. Chapek's track record is terrible.

That's for Disney's board of directors to decide. Iger is staying on as creative chairman for a long while, though. Just the way they sprang this on the world was so bizarre, like he was letting Chapek take those coronavirus decrease bullets.

I’m not going to pretend like I know all the people who work at Disney and could have been eligible for this, but really? Bob Chapek? I guess the SWGE bundle isn’t hurting his chances. Get ready for the Disney brand to be incredibly cheapened under his reign. Disappointing news

I mean, SWGE especially at DHS has reversed any misfortune at this point now that ROTR is open. IIRC, Iger blamed himself for the phased opening.

That's for Disney's board of directors to decide. Iger is staying on as creative chairman for a long while, though. Just the way they sprang this on the world was so bizarre, like he was letting Chapek take those coronavirus decrease bullets.

I don’t believe for a second he’s going to actually work on anything as chairman.

So you think he's just retiring and collecting a paycheck for nearly two years Lasseter-style? It's too early for me to say if that's a possibility, but I do think for the sake of the shareholders that at least initially he will remain active.

So you think he's just retiring and collecting a paycheck for nearly two years Lasseter-style? It's too early for me to say if that's a possibility, but I do think for the sake of the shareholders that at least initially he will remain active.
I think he will be available if Bob C needs a shoulder to cry on but I doubt he will be sitting at the table when the decisions are made.

I mean, SWGE especially at DHS has reversed any misfortune at this point now that ROTR is open. IIRC, Iger blamed himself for the phased opening.
Can still blame Chapek for the lack of Streetmosphere though, its clearly been and still seems to be a major issue on the land.

BoD is still a job it’s just not some magical creative job. BoD offer a buffer for large decision making and approval for the company but he’s not doing much day to day. This whole creative angle sounds like a new way to say “I’m spending time with my family” and to calm investors.

On Magic, it's "the world is ending" for this move. On a certain site that has "Review" as the last word of its Theme Park name, they have a tweet from the site owner "Bob Chapek has brought many amazing attractions to Disney Parks & Resorts! Looking forward to what he does running the entire company!" Different perspectives.

On Magic, it's "the world is ending" for this move. On a certain site that has "Review" as the last word of its Theme Park name, they have a tweet from the site owner "Bob Chapek has brought many amazing attractions to Disney Parks & Resorts! Looking forward to what he does running the entire company!" Different perspectives.

Robb most likely got that talking point from someone.:bored:

Iger explains wanting to focus more on creative side of things and overseeing a smooth transition. They're saying all the right things, if this wasn't just dropped out of the blue randomlyon a Tuesday, I think we'd less likely be searching for answers:

Iger explains wanting to focus more on creative side of things and overseeing a smooth transition. They're saying all the right things, if this wasn't just dropped out of the blue randomlyon a Tuesday, I think we'd less likely be searching for answers:

Well, yeah. On a Tuesday three weeks after a quarterly earnings call. Plus the whole EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY thing. He can say transition but it ain’t a transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.