Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Iger Stepping Down, Chapek Replaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we have to worry too much about Disney stalling expansion on the parks.

Universal is officially fighting them on almost every theme park front. Universal has a growing park in every place Disney has a resort (except Paris and HK).
And Paris and HK are the two most troublesome resorts for Disney so Universal hasn't gotten in there for good reason.

Read the news earlier, not really a surprise as it has been on the cards for a while. I don't believe there are any underhand reasons for bobs decision, I firmly believe he wants to quit whilst he's ahead and leave a good legacy, his over the top streaming service is the pinnacle of this. . I don't buy into the political reasons, the timing just doesn't fit, not this time anyways but I wouldn't count it out in the future.

I liked him, I think he did Good job and Disney will miss the weather man, Chapek on the other hand not so much, let the budget cuts begin.

I won't pretend to know the business ins and outs of Chapek's theme park decisions as well as some of the people in the know here on the forum. But honestly, I cannot imagine the absolute immediate backlash if Chapek tries to apply that cheap amusement park mentality to film and TV. If he cheapens out on something like The Mandalorian's budget or a Marvel's film slate, the backlash will be quick and deadly.

I personally don't believe anything will go worse for the parks. As for Marvel/Star Wars, that's honestly more on Kennedy and Feige who definitely have enough pull and weight to not be talked down by Chapek. And Lucasfilm has obviously seen troubles without him. Marvel is poised for a downturn since Endgame, as it's a battle to get back up. 2020 won't be nearly as big as 2019 for Disney's box office, and coronavirus will effect returns. I get why Iger wants to jump ship, I just think it's bizarre they decided to do it in this fashion.

But I'm not here to discuss conspiracy and hypothetical, because what's the use in being worried over that when all we can see in front of us is pretty much there for the moment. Bring me some meaty, actual news of what Chapek's strings pull in for the company whole and then I'll be convinced. I do think, however, this could be beneficial to the parks. A more savvy leader is what the department needs, hopefully one that can navigate Chapek's eye for budget reduction. (yes, yes, I know you all are scared that a yes man will be plopped in)

I do think that Iger will still have a hand in things for the most part until at least the end of this year. I guess we will see what happens, but the doom and gloom is amusing for sure, especially by parks fans. New boss, same as the old boss.

New boss, same as the old boss.
I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I quoted this part as it's the only part i'm semi-concerned about. We know Iger's managerial style was to basically let his people do their own thing. Let Alan Horn run the Studio and from there even further, Fiege be a creative leader at Marvel and Kathleen Kennedy run LucasFilm (for better or worse). Iger let Chapek run the parks how he wanted. etc, etc. Remember Iger even let Alan Horn handle the James Gunn fiasco. We saw that he has continued to let Twentieth Century and Searchlight do their own thing as well even post-buyout.

Iger was focused on making sure that what those people were doing was making money and as long as they were, he didn't care. Sure there were a set of rules because Disney, but he never micro-managed or cut-corners from the top. I just really hope Chapek follows Iger's lead on that and doesn't start micro-managing because if he does, he WILL do great damage to the company and lose valuable talent. He's never been in charge of a studio, broadcast network or streaming service before, so that's what worries me the most is how he handles with that side of things.

Talk about a rough start for Chapek as CEO.

3 of the international resorts are closed. Paris could potentially be next.

A boat sinks at MK along with Haunted Mansion closing indefinitely.

Movies are going to be in for a tough year with people not going out or movies getting pushed back.

Disney stock has dropped almost 25%.

And we're only at day 8.

Movies are going to be in for a tough year with people not going out or movies getting pushed back.

And we're only at day 8.
Chapek's CURSE. ....continues ;)

And we're only at day 8.

Yikes this is bad especially with the coronavirus and movies. You make your return on investment from international markets and because of that Mulan is going to have a rough release, I wonder if they’ll push it back like no time to die did.

Not to speculate but I can't find the source I was reading, but apparently the virus is only deadly in unhealthy people/ people with weakened immune systems.

And we're only at day 8.
Chapek's CURSE. ....continues ;)
Add to the movie release and show impact. Dis on whatever is going to be paying people not to perform and screens not to be viewed. I don't like what he has shown as yet but he is being handed a plate of worms. Bob I just might be physic.

Yikes this is bad especially with the coronavirus and movies. You make your return on investment from international markets and because of that Mulan is going to have a rough release, I wonder if they’ll push it back like no time to die did.

They already pushed it back in China

Whether they push the US release back I guess is to be seen. I think that the bond release was a smart move, but they have the room to do that. Disney's release schedules are so tight that if they push anything back it'll cannibalize their other movies OR shift the entire schedule back x months.

The longer the coronavirus stuff goes on, the more I understand Iger’s sudden departure.

The coronavirus panic isn’t going away for the next couple months at least and the repercussions will be around for multiple quarters.

I’m thinking Iger saw the writing on the wall and bailed ahead of schedule.

The longer the coronavirus stuff goes on, the more I understand Iger’s sudden departure.

The coronavirus panic isn’t going away for the next couple months at least and the repercussions will be around for multiple quarters.

I’m thinking Iger saw the writing on the wall and bailed ahead of schedule.
He wanted to get out when he still looked good and when he could freeze his stock while it was still high.

This is going to be an incredibly tough hill for Chapek to climb, but COVID does provide him some cover as it gives him an excuse for why business sectors are underperforming.

He wanted to get out when he still looked good and when he could freeze his stock while it was still high.

This is going to be an incredibly tough hill for Chapek to climb, but COVID does provide him some cover as it gives him an excuse for why business sectors are underperforming.
Cover to cut cut cut while raising prices

Unfortunately you're right at the Parks level. They're gonna lose a lot of money on the Studio side though.

They just get to write it off on their taxes

It's really hard to truly lose money when you're at that level :/

What depends is how Chapek responds: if it's to maintain an illusion of profitability and growth that's bad, if it's to take the punches and lean into the market narrative already that's better.

I’m thinking just due to potential losses form this year alone, selling my stocks doesn’t sound like a bad option honestly. Not that I have a ton but I mean idk, I can’t see the films doing as much business as they used to

I’m thinking just due to potential losses form this year alone, selling my stocks doesn’t sound like a bad option honestly. Not that I have a ton but I mean idk, I can’t see the films doing as much business as they used to
I've been in the stock market since 1974. I've never sold during low confidence or panic times, and I've always come out ahead in the long term. Word of advice: Never sell when bad news causes a drop in the market. The panic talking head pundits are 'always' wrong. Hold on to your stocks and you'll prosper in the long run....The stock market is not the place to be if you're there for short term gains.

I've been in the stock market since 1974. I've never sold during low confidence or panic times, and I've always come out ahead in the long term. Word of advice: Never sell when bad news causes a drop in the market. The panic talking head pundits are 'always' wrong. Hold on to your stocks and you'll prosper in the long run....The stock market is not the place to be if you're there for short term gains.
Due to a death I took a hefty amount to cash at the end of last year. Can't wait for things to stabilize so I can get it back in. I thought the last recession would be my last big buying opportunity. This won't last forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.