Illumination & Nintendo nearing deal for The Legend of Zelda | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination & Nintendo nearing deal for The Legend of Zelda

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
From Jeff Sneider, Illumination is close to finalizing a deal with Nintendo/Nintendo Pictures on an animated adaptation of The Legend of Zelda. It would be their next big animated project following Sing 3 and Despicable Me 4 as a result.

• Sad
Reactions: malice
Hmm, Super Mario Bros was a much better fit for Illumination honestly. That movie was quite a bit better than anticipated, but also the series just flows into Illumination's brand pretty well. Zelda feels a bit more aged up, if this was to happen I'd have hoped for a different studio but hey, we'll see what happens with it.

I still think a BotW show in the style of The Last Airbender would be the best use of the property for movie/television. An amnesiac and more talkative Link goes across Hyrule with some friends learning about the past of the Calamity and his destiny, helping out Hyruleans in need, and training to defeat Ganon by the series finale. That'd be sick.

Reactions: BriefCasey
Hmm, Super Mario Bros was a much better fit for Illumination honestly. That movie was quite a bit better than anticipated, but also the series just flows into Illumination's brand pretty well. Zelda feels a bit more aged up, if this was to happen I'd have hoped for a different studio but hey, we'll see what happens with it.
I think what'd be interesting--is if this was the first project for Moonlight. To show the difference between Illumination and Moonlight in the types of animated content that they'd be making as a result for Universal as an end result.

Dreamworks, I think we can all agree would make the better film but....sadly Illumnation makes more money on most films so they will be getting more Nintendo films

As much as I think it should’ve gone to dreamworks, I’m not willing to completely write-off illumination just yet. If Nintendo is working closely with them they can make it clear that the film needs to have some substance and meaning. Illumination is capable of making meaningful films like the first despicable me, but it seems like they just don’t like making them very often.

I also wonder what part of the timeline they’ll use. BOTW/TOTK are selling well, but they’re in a very odd part of the timeline. If they want to appeal to the masses and hit most of the traditional Zelda beats found in most games (dungeons, Triforce, Ganon), they should set the movie a little further back in the timeline.

As much as I think it should’ve gone to dreamworks, I’m not willing to completely write-off illumination just yet. If Nintendo is working closely with them they can make it clear that the film needs to have some substance and meaning. Illumination is capable of making meaningful films like the first despicable me, but it seems like they just don’t like making them very often.

I also wonder what part of the timeline they’ll use. BOTW/TOTK are selling well, but they’re in a very odd part of the timeline. If they want to appeal to the masses and hit most of the traditional Zelda beats found in most games (dungeons, Triforce, Ganon), they should set the movie a little further back in the timeline.
the Mario movie was a fun 7/10 film

But they have made....one.....one film that kinda has deeper themes and that was the first film they made

Not saying the Zelda film will be bad but....I doubt it will deep. They have a formula that works make stupid minion type side characters, add jokes little kids will laugh at and add for no reason popular music to every scene they can

I don't like it but clearly it gets people to watch there films with. The only films made within the last few years not to do very well were SLOP2 and Sing 2 both came out around covid so its hard to judge those films but most the time they make a cheap film that appeals to everyone

Dreamworks seem to be hitting another golden age with Bad Guys being very fun and Puss in Boots 2 being wayyyy better then anyone thought it could be and especially Puss in Boots 2 shows how well they can do family adventure film, they would knock it out of the park but Illumantion is the "safer" bet

Reactions: GA-MBIT
You mean Nintendo trusts Chris Melenandri with their IPs to the point they put him on their board of directors and would go with the same studio that made them a film that made over 1 billion USD despite people screaming it wouldn't do well and chris pratt can't be mario etc....

Illumination is fine. The mainstream stuff they do may be what you all see...but they did a lot of stuff behind the scenes

they have the ability to do a lot.

You mean Nintendo trusts Chris Melenandri with their IPs to the point they put him on their board of directors and would go with the same studio that made them a film that made over 1 billion USD despite people screaming it wouldn't do well and chris pratt can't be mario etc....

Illumination is fine. The mainstream stuff they do may be what you all see...but they did a lot of stuff behind the scenes

I'd loveeee to be wrong but if Zelda a better adventure film then Puss in Boots 2....color me very shocked

But I think Nintendo see's how Illumnation knows how to make the public want to see their films which include ignoring the amazing soundtracks from Mario and Zelda....and for some reason using generic music like take on me....for literally no reason but it sells for some reason

I'm sure they have the ability, but do they have the willingness to make something that's more aesthetically and narratively daring as a feature, given their previous and near-term feature output.

Disney had the ability to make something that looked like Paperman for nigh on a decade. Pixar too. But just because they have the ability to do something doesn't mean people with decision making power will view it as financially viable to do so.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I'm sure they have the ability, but do they have the willingness to make something that's more aesthetically and narratively daring as a feature, given their previous and near-term feature output.

You mean like what Nintendo put out before?

Has Zelda evolved in something more "serious" than before sure...but its not as high art as everyone here is making it out to be.

and this is 100% in illumination's wheelhouse to make a running joke

Reactions: Cygnus
You mean like what Nintendo put out before?

Has Zelda evolved in something more "serious" than before sure...but its not as high art as everyone here is making it out to be.

and this is 100% in illumination's wheelhouse

If we got a feature-length version of the Zelda tv show I would be very happy. I like seeing Link with a personality instead of the silent and emotionless knight they portray him as

Reactions: quinnmac000
So you say Illumination can do more serious work...but it doesn't matter because Zelda is not serious?

It seems like you're trying to have two different arguments here.

Dreamworks while hit or miss has Shrek, Shrek 2, Puss in Boots 2, HTTYD, Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2 which are all amazing or at the very least great films

Illumination has DE 1 and The Mario Movie (which I would only say is good but I'll throw it on the list). Thats it SLOP and sing are good but are not amazing. Grinch is also just good, they do not have a track record you can look at and be like they are perfect for Zelda.

So you say Illumination can do more serious work...but it doesn't matter because Zelda is not serious?

It seems like you're trying to have two different arguments here.
What I'm saying is....

Just like how Zelda the IP "evolved" from that show to what it is now, Illumination will change with what fits the time and energy of the public. Also, the almost excessive complaints about Illumination for the past five years have a reached a place of annoyance. Sony Animation made a lot of bad films before they made Into The Spiderverse yet no one says omg sony is making abc NOOO. Yet Illumination, it reached a point of extreme groupthink.

Reactions: imagin78
What I'm saying is....

Just like how Zelda the IP "evolved" from that show to what it is now, Illumination will change with what fits the time and energy of the public. Also, the almost excessive complaints about Illumination for the past five years have a reached a place of annoyance. Sony Animation made a lot of bad films before they made Into The Spiderverse yet no one says omg sony is making abc NOOO. Yet Illumination, it reached a point of extreme groupthink.
If you want less complicates about illumination then they can start making better films

They make money but as films most are very average and most to me are unwatchable when I have animated films that are trying

Sony animation sucks but the two Spiderverse films destroy anything Illummstion has ever put out, it’s not even close

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. while I agree that studios make good movies and bad movies (there's a reason Pixar's incredible streak of hits was so ... well, incredible), there's nothing to indicate that illumination "plays up" or "plays down" to its stories.

and that's besides the fact that even the first despicable me doesn't touch either of the spider-verse films for quality. will this make a boatload of money? probably! but as we brought up time and again about the Mario film... don't y'all want more than a commercial success?

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
What I'm saying is....

Illumination just makes a lot of bad movies that have mass appeal. They can be a successful animated studio and still be deemed as low quality.

What I'm saying is....

Nobody will argue that Sony didn’t make garbage in the past. But between Spider-Verse 1 & 2, Mitchell’s vs The Machines, and Vivo, they’ve actually made an impressive turnaround in quality.

Maybe Illumination has the capability of doing a truly wonderful film, maybe not. Making an experimental short film is certainly less risky that an experimental feature film. All I know is, speaking for myself, they seem content to just stick with “good enough” for their movies. And I’m kind of over it by now since mediocrity rewarded only invites more mediocrity.

If Sony can go from The Emoji Movie in 2017 to Spiderman Into The Spiderverse in 2018, I'm sure Illumination can find a way to do a good Zelda movie. Also depends on the talent involved.

Reactions: BriefCasey and Nico