Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Illuminations: Reflections of Earth

It's the same Reflections of Earth show they always do, then at the end the announcer voice says something about a special celebrating the holidays so and so and they play "Let there be peace on Earth" and do a whole additional fireworks display. It's really a great show, try to see it this year, I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Here's a video of the extra holiday finale I found on Youtube, this happens immediately after the regular Illuminations show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxd3C-aQtWA

Talk about zombies, but, they touched Illuminations within the past few days, and not in a good way.

When I went and saw it just three days ago, everything was as it should be. Tonight, I thought something was odd at the 15 minute announcement, and knew something had changed at the 5 minute announcement. They screwed with the pre-show music! While I wasn't always the biggest fan of certain selections in the pre-show loop, the entire thing set the mood for the show very well, especially from the 5 minute mark on. This new pre-show loop is very, very bright and far too happy sounding. It does not set the mood for an epic storytelling session, but feels more like a happy act or pre-show from a Cirque show, and right before the show starts is the worst part, they go into an Old West style theme. Just...why?

To add insult to injury, they screwed with the closing "narration" and it is now about three times as long and much too wordy, saying goodbye/goodnight in three different phrases. Thankfully they haven't touched anything else (at least, in a bad way). Can someone just tell people "Hands off!" of stuff at EPCOT until they have a good reason/idea?

I didn't really pay attention to the pre or post show music when I was there last week, but the lights on the pavilion facades flickering on and off with no rhythm or discernable connection to the music at the end of Act 2 is absolutely unnecessary. I've seen the show countless times and it really was a distraction from the fireworks. If they want to use that effect more, pulse the lighs during the beginning of Act 3, slowly as it builds to the chorus. That would make sense and have a "heartbeat" like quality that would further the emotion written into the score at that point signifying in another way all of the countries coming together as one to tell this story of the human experience.

My heart sank when I saw this thread light up haha...I thought it was time to see her off

Great video, this show is truly special, let's appreciate it while we can...Thanks for posting

My heart sank when I saw this thread light up haha...I thought it was time to see her off

Great video, this show is truly special, let's appreciate it while we can...Thanks for posting
Well, it may be that time sometime soon.

Current plan is new version before 50th.

The Making of Tapestry of Nations at Walt Disney World (1999)

The Tapestry of Nations was a parade at the Epcot theme park in Walt Disney World, Florida, that ran around the World Showcase Lagoon from 1999 to 2001, after which it was rethemed as Tapestry of Dreams. The parade had a unity and world peace theme and featured a variety of large puppets and massive rotating drum units. The puppets were designed by Michael Curry who also designed the puppets for The Lion King on Broadway and a variety of Disney theme park shows. The leader of the parade was the Sage of Time, who was represented as a stilt walker in an elaborate costume featuring alchemy symbols, gold trim on a white robe, a staff, and a headpiece resembling a sun with a face.

The Making of Tapestry of Nations at Walt Disney World (1999)

The Tapestry of Nations was a parade at the Epcot theme park in Walt Disney World, Florida, that ran around the World Showcase Lagoon from 1999 to 2001, after which it was rethemed as Tapestry of Dreams. The parade had a unity and world peace theme and featured a variety of large puppets and massive rotating drum units. The puppets were designed by Michael Curry who also designed the puppets for The Lion King on Broadway and a variety of Disney theme park shows. The leader of the parade was the Sage of Time, who was represented as a stilt walker in an elaborate costume featuring alchemy symbols, gold trim on a white robe, a staff, and a headpiece resembling a sun with a face.

God that takes me back to recording with @Joe back in September, and I think we went off on that parade for about 20-30 minutes.

Funny enough, I have only listened to the soundtrack of Iluminations but have not watched videos of it. Perhaps it's time to change that..

I know both Disney and Universal get knocked for their announcements. The ole "one says too much one doesnt say enough" argument. But Disney sure knows how to keep the hype train going.

"The new show joins several previously announced experiences coming to Epcot, including the highly-anticipated “Guardians of the Galaxy” roller coaster attraction, a “Ratatouille”-inspired attraction in World Showcase, a new table-service restaurant adjacent to Mission: SPACE and much more!"

They just keep everything front of mind.

I know both Disney and Universal get knocked for their announcements. The ole "one says too much one doesnt say enough" argument. But Disney sure knows how to keep the hype train going.

"The new show joins several previously announced experiences coming to Epcot, including the highly-anticipated “Guardians of the Galaxy” roller coaster attraction, a “Ratatouille”-inspired attraction in World Showcase, a new table-service restaurant adjacent to Mission: SPACE and much more!"

They just keep everything front of mind.
Universal's thought process has always been strange with announcements...Potter made them skiddish, I doubt that would ever happen again