Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Importance of indoor rides (in regards to weather)

As someone mentioned before, the old Questor building is still there and would be the perfect location for a new dark ride. They could theme it to Pharoahs and Mummies and it could just be a simple Sally dark-ride. It would also round out the Egypt section with three great attractions, a dark ride, a spinning family coaster and a high thrill invert. I think the thing is, none of these need to be large Antarcitca-style investments, they just need to be quality experiences that in the event of bad weather, people have options.

In terms of SeaWorld, there has been some discussion about using the simulator buildings of Wild Arctic to make a Sesame Street dark ride. I think it would be clever of them to take the Submarines from Submarine quest and use them in a Sesame Street underwater themed dark ride.

Sadly, it just doesn't seem like they're interested in adding much beyond coasters and (recently) flat rides. Dark rides are expensive and hard to market for a park that really doesn't have any IPs beyond Sesame Street. You can plaster Harry Potter on a billboard and people don't know/care what the ride is, they care about the character. It's easy for SWPE to plaster coaster stats ie. Tallest, fastest in Orlando blah blah to grab people's attention.

As someone mentioned before, the old Questor building is still there and would be the perfect location for a new dark ride. They could theme it to Pharoahs and Mummies and it could just be a simple Sally dark-ride. It would also round out the Egypt section with three great attractions, a dark ride, a spinning family coaster and a high thrill invert. I think the thing is, none of these need to be large Antarcitca-style investments, they just need to be quality experiences that in the event of bad weather, people have options.

In terms of SeaWorld, there has been some discussion about using the simulator buildings of Wild Arctic to make a Sesame Street dark ride. I think it would be clever of them to take the Submarines from Submarine quest and use them in a Sesame Street underwater themed dark ride.

Sadly, it just doesn't seem like they're interested in adding much beyond coasters and (recently) flat rides. Dark rides are expensive and hard to market for a park that really doesn't have any IPs beyond Sesame Street. You can plaster Harry Potter on a billboard and people don't know/care what the ride is, they care about the character. It's easy for SWPE to plaster coaster stats ie. Tallest, fastest in Orlando blah blah to grab people's attention.
I think a Sally dark ride would be a great addition to BGT

I can't help but wonder if we'll see a copy of Battle for Eire with an Egyptian theme (Battle for Egypt?) come to the Questor ride building. Knowing that SeaWorld Parks likes to clone rides from one park to another makes it seem so likely, provided they deem Battle for Eire a success. That would provide a cheap indoor attraction to round out the Egypt section nicely, give guests something to do besides leaving when it rains, and allow BGT to be 'edgy' for once.

Also, somebody pointed out that IPs help sell new rides, which is true. How much weight does the Wildlife Docs carry with the public? Maybe they could build a wildlife rescue-themed ride? Or -better yet- bring back Rhino Rally with a Wildlife Docs rescue theme, and have a Kong 360 style ending. Maybe they could even get Animal Planet to promote it. I'd think that would have a solid chance of being a hit.

Last edited:
Well considering that Wildlife Docs was about to be canceled. I don't know how interested BG is in keeping that IP around.

Also, as much as I'd love a simulator in the Questor building, it's something I don't see them adding, but wouldn't rule out either. They removed that old simulator many years ago. Simulators of that style don't seem to be something any parks are adding.

The ride building is literally perfect for a simple sally dark ride. It's completely leveled and they've been using it for HOS houses. It honestly could be a pretty cheap addition.

I think beyond Gwazi and Tigris, it will be interesting to see what route they take for new attractions. It's been mentioned quite a few times on here, but a scenic boat ride is something I really wish they would consider. The rhino rally section is perfect for it!

I don't think we'll ever see anything like Rhino Rally again at BGT

A trackless shooter ride would be amazing though haha

I think they're going to stick with their coaster niche though

I wouldn't be surprised to see Stanley Falls replaced after Gwazi
No way that ride is a classic, and they cant get ride of another water ride lmao. The lines are always really long for it, and its enjoyed by everyone. Tital wave wasn't to popular so that why it closed as well imo.

Wait, Wildlife Docs is being canceled? It looks like it's still on track for a new season. If true that's a shame, as it appears to be well-received (8.4/10 on IMBD), and I'm sure it's given the park some exposure with non-Floridians. It also gives BGT something of a brand to build on. SeaWorld has used the SeaWorld Rescue theme with great success, so a "Busch Gardens Rescue" would seem fitting here.

As the topic of this discussion points out, Busch Gardens really needs to invest in more than just roller coasters. The weather alone is a big enough factor to justify at least one indoor ride. But beyond just that, there's also the fact that many people won't or can't ride roller coasters, and for them Busch Gardens has fewer offerings than ever.

There's also the fact that the park's ride lineup is extremely lopsided, with as many as eleven coasters by 2020 and two (or fewer) of every other form of non-kiddie attraction. Their own advertisements ("Corks and Coasters" comes to mind) inadvertently point that out: You'd only be coming here to drink wine or ride roller coasters. Even Cedar Point, the "roller coaster capital", has a more diverse collection of rides. Focusing solely on roller coasters basically limits the potential audience to enthusiasts living in southern and central Florida who don't want to travel outside the state. A lot of people talk about a niche market for it in Florida, but they've already got that market cornered.
Also, with regard to merits like immersion and theme, coasters are just kinda... lame. That's why locals generally think of Busch Gardens as the "boring" and "trashy" theme park of Florida-- those are actual quotes. There's not a whole lot to differentiate Kumba from, say, Blue Hawk at Six Flags Over Georgia, at least in the eyes of the general public; they're (relatively) "cheap" thrills, by theme park standards. Busch Gardens will probably never be able to beat Six Flags and Cedar Fair in the roller coaster one-upsmanship game, and I wouldn't want to see them try.

What they should do is establish themselves as a high-quality theme park that offers a good mix of attractions catering to everyone. I've probably said this before, but SeaWorld Orlando and to some extent BGW are great examples of what the other SWPE parks should try to be. Not Disney/Universal per se, but decidedly classier and "themier" than a regional amusement park.

Wait, Wildlife Docs is being canceled? It looks like it's still on track for a new season. If true that's a shame, as it appears to be well-received (8.4/10 on IMBD), and I'm sure it's given the park some exposure with non-Floridians. It also gives BGT something of a brand to build on. SeaWorld has used the SeaWorld Rescue theme with great success, so a "Busch Gardens Rescue" would seem fitting here.

As the topic of this discussion points out, Busch Gardens really needs to invest in more than just roller coasters. The weather alone is a big enough factor to justify at least one indoor ride. But beyond just that, there's also the fact that many people won't or can't ride roller coasters, and for them Busch Gardens has fewer offerings than ever.

There's also the fact that the park's ride lineup is extremely lopsided, with as many as eleven coasters by 2020 and two (or fewer) of every other form of non-kiddie attraction. Their own advertisements ("Corks and Coasters" comes to mind) inadvertently point that out: You'd only be coming here to drink wine or ride roller coasters. Even Cedar Point, the "roller coaster capital", has a more diverse collection of rides. Focusing solely on roller coasters basically limits the potential audience to enthusiasts living in southern and central Florida who don't want to travel outside the state. A lot of people talk about a niche market for it in Florida, but they've already got that market cornered.
Also, with regard to merits like immersion and theme, coasters are just kinda... lame. That's why locals generally think of Busch Gardens as the "boring" and "trashy" theme park of Florida-- those are actual quotes. There's not a whole lot to differentiate Kumba from, say, Blue Hawk at Six Flags Over Georgia, at least in the eyes of the general public; they're (relatively) "cheap" thrills, by theme park standards. Busch Gardens will probably never be able to beat Six Flags and Cedar Fair in the roller coaster one-upsmanship game, and I wouldn't want to see them try.

What they should do is establish themselves as a high-quality theme park that offers a good mix of attractions catering to everyone. I've probably said this before, but SeaWorld Orlando and to some extent BGW are great examples of what the other SWPE parks should try to be. Not Disney/Universal per se, but decidedly classier and "themier" than a regional amusement park.
First of all Seaworld had to get it stuff together before we even talking about maintaining attractions and adding new ones. Cedar Fair/Six Flags are no comparison because they don't have the immersion and theming that BGT/BGW offer. Secondly being Florida thrill capital is actually a nice feat because the other parks in the state are not offering that. Whether the park is trashy or not is all based on opinion so I have no clue why you brought that up. I agree with you for the most part and believe they have better direction now with better management. Also you know roller coasters can contain themed elements you know like cobra curse's does with the snake and it's queue.

I think BGT has a great strategy right now, they're feeding into the thrill seekers, something not many other parks in central Florida region are doing. Yes, I'd love to see these elaborately designed rides, but reality is, they don't have the IP's to sustain expensive themed attractions that won't make a ROI, when they can add a coaster for the same if not less. I say keep doing what they're doing! Hopefully after Tigris, they will go back to the Cobra's Curse model of a great ride mixed with good themeing.

Last edited:
A new simulator would be fine, as long as they don't bring Questor back, lol. A good ride concept ruined by a very corny experience.

I think BGT has a great strategy right now, they're feeding into the thrill seekers, something not many other parks in central Florida region aren't doing. Yes, I'd love to see these elaborately designed rides, but reality is, they don't have the IP's to sustain expensive themed attractions that won't make a ROI, when they can add a coaster for the same if not less. I say keep doing what they're doing! Hopefully after Tigris, they will go back to the Cobra's Curse model of a great ride mixed with good themeing.
Exactly I mean they just closed the dark ride at BGW. Evidently those type of projects don’t always make sense for regional parks. Some flat rides would be welcomed and maybe adding a new area as well. Being the thrill capital in Florida is smart because their really isn’t any competition.

Exactly I mean they just closed the dark ride at BGW. Evidently those type of projects don’t always make sense for regional parks. Some flat rides would be welcomed and maybe adding a new area as well. Being the thrill capital in Florida is smart because their really isn’t any competition.
Agreed, now that being said, in my opinion, it doesn't mean that they shouldn't add indoor attractions. I still believe they should, I just don't think every indoor ride needs to be this mega dark ride with towering screens and fancy, expensive seats. There is nothing wrong with a simple dark ride.

No way that ride is a classic, and they cant get ride of another water ride lmao. The lines are always really long for it, and its enjoyed by everyone. Tital wave wasn't to popular so that why it closed as well imo.
Well, iStanley doesn't have great capacity...There are better ways to do log flumes these days

A new simulator would be fine, as long as they don't bring Questor back, lol. A good ride concept ruined by a very corny experience.
Akbar was tons of fun, and had a zany adventurous tone to it...Questor was odd to say the least haha