Incredible Hulk Roughness | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Roughness

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 15, 2012
Am I the only one who thinks some serious work needs to be done with this attraction? Its gotten rougher over the years, to the point where I can only ride it once before needing a break (no other ride does this to me). Its easily the roughest B&M I've ever been on.

I thought it was getting rough on my last rides, and those were a year ago.

But once you go on Space Mountain at DLP, nothing will ever feel rough again.

On another subject, Busch Gardens Williamsburg has the smoothest coasters I have ever been on. Phenomenal. MAGICal!:tinkerbell::pixiedust:

I thought it was getting rough on my last rides, and those were a year ago.

On another subject, Busch Gardens Williamsburg has the smoothest coasters I have ever been on. Phenomenal. MAGICal!:tinkerbell::pixiedust:

Except for Loch Ness

I dunno Spirit. It didn't bother me in April. It was rough, but it wasn't terrible. I think Hulk is worse than it. But I was sad to find that Morey's Piers in Wildwood, New Jersey, which has been a "home park" for me since I was a child, their coasters have become intolerably rough. Sad. They're a well run place for the most part.

Yes, yes they do. All of their coasters are phenomenal. Verbolten is a great addition.

I think you be younger than I, Skip.

But I have found Space Mountain in Paris to be nearly intolerable to me now ... I don't want any brain damage. No jokes, please.:look:

It is getting new trains and some work next year, so hopefully it will get better. Hulk definitely wasn't worse when I rode it, but that was May of 2011, so it's been a while. It could be very bad now.

And, yes, Verbolten, is really terrific. I think I rode it about 10 times over three days and I am not one to do rides so many times.

I think you be younger than I, Skip.

But I have found Space Mountain in Paris to be nearly intolerable to me now ... I don't want any brain damage. No jokes, please.:look:

It is getting new trains and some work next year, so hopefully it will get better. Hulk definitely wasn't worse when I rode it, but that was May of 2011, so it's been a while. It could be very bad now.

And, yes, Verbolten, is really terrific. I think I rode it about 10 times over three days and I am not one to do rides so many times.

I'd really like to see Hulk get the Spider-Man treatment soon.

As for Paris, it's a shame that the best Disney coaster I've been on, their BTM, is pair with a rough Space Mountain and a terrible Indy Coaster.

I was at Verbolten's opening day by a lucky happenstance, and I rode it 3 times, getting lucky and seeing all the stories.

I'd really like to see Hulk get the Spider-Man treatment soon.

As for Paris, it's a shame that the best Disney coaster I've been on, their BTM, is pair with a rough Space Mountain and a terrible Indy Coaster.

I was at Verbolten's opening day by a lucky happenstance, and I rode it 3 times, getting lucky and seeing all the stories.

Doncha know UNI can't do anything with the Hulk because Disney owns them and is going to make them retheme it to ... like Batman ... and ... ugh ... I can't even play it up for a new audience. What's wrong with me?:pixiedust:

And you are making me miss DLP, even though show quality was absymal in May (Martin was there a month ago and reports much better on many fronts!), but BTMRR was absolutely near perfect and oh, how I love riding it in (almost) darkness. That shows you how a 'family' coaster can be a great and thrilling ride. It absolutely is the best version ... I do want to try the new Grizzly Gulch coaster in HKDL, though. Have heard great things and that's a whole new take on the runaway mine train deal.

And I was at BGW the week after Memorial Day and except for Saturday, lines were not long at all! And I hate to wait for anything!

One or two rides by some of you does not make the coaster as a whole rough. What in hell do you think could make Hulk rough "all of a sudden"??? It is probably just the end of the ride for the wheels which are replaced all the time. The supports aren't wobbling, the cars aren't rattling apart. That isn't how it works in a world class theme park.

The wheels on your one particular car might be at the end of their game and merely need to be swapped out. Why threads such as this are started is beyond me when Hulk is still considered a top coaster. It isn't falling apart as the OP and some others might suggest.

One or two rides by some of you does not make the coaster as a whole rough. What in hell do you think could make Hulk rough "all of a sudden"??? It is probably just the end of the ride for the wheels which are replaced all the time. The supports aren't wobbling, the cars aren't rattling apart. That isn't how it works in a world class theme park.

The wheels on your one particular car might be at the end of their game and merely need to be swapped out. Why threads such as this are started is beyond me when Hulk is still considered a top coaster. It isn't falling apart as the OP and some others might suggest.

Teebin, I did not mean to suggest that the coaster is falling apart, far from it. But it is rougher than I remember and is the roughest b&m I've been on. I am wondering if I'm imagining this (same thing when I visited in February). Just because its a world class coaster doesn't mean it could't use a train rebuild.

I think the intensity of the ride contributes to the perceived roughness. Also, I know from personal, hands on experience that if they're playing with new wheel compounds, rides can be consistently rough. Perhaps they're playing with some new wheel compounds, which is actually fairly common when it comes to large coasters, at least in my experience. There are a lot of variables with the individual wheels that can cause a rough ride for a certain few seats/rows.

That said, I have also seen wheel assemblies that are not seemingly kept as "snug" with the track as time wears on, even when wheels are replaced, and even a minute, almost invisible (widening) gap developing between the wheels and track can result in a lot more roughness.

I have been under the impression that the cars get rebuilt all the time. We know the wheels are replaced all the time. We also know that every bolt is wax sealed for inspection. We also know that they replace sections of the rails from time to time. When it comes to Hulk, the point I am making is that it has never been a HRRR story which seems to be fraught with design issues. So, unless you ride five times a visit for 5 days in a row, it is a bit harsh to call it rough.

As Teebin said, trains get rebuilt once a year, which is standard on ALL roller coasters. There are so many variables that can make the ride rough one time vs another. I've experienced this first hand. It depends on what train, car, seat, which wheels are worn down, how many left handed people there are in the park, etc.

Why would Hulk need new trains? Every other B&M is still running with their original set. Being a year round park may be par of the reason, but Kumba is still in good shape and has it's original trains.

I have been under the impression that the cars get rebuilt all the time. We know the wheels are replaced all the time. We also know that every bolt is wax sealed for inspection. We also know that they replace sections of the rails from time to time. When it comes to Hulk, the point I am making is that it has never been a HRRR story which seems to be fraught with design issues. So, unless you ride five times a visit for 5 days in a row, it is a bit harsh to call it rough.

Just because someone is suggesting that the ride is rougher now than it was before does not mean that they are suggesting that the coaster is going to collapse. You are making it seem like people are accusing the ride to be some sort of hazard or something. Perhaps the roughness the OP is experiencing is something as simple as lack of maintenance for whatever reason. There was a time when the Hulk was brown, basically covered in rust, but having said that, pointing out that "every bolt is waxed sealed for inspection" and mentioning HRRR's design issues is going a bit overboard. No one said the Hulk wasn't designed properly.

I don't think the coaster is rough at all. It just needs new over-the-shoulder restraints, the one's it currently has are pretty hard with little padding.

That's more of what I was referring to with new trains. Newer, more comfortable seating can go a long way. No one is suggesting the ride is anywhere near unsafe. But there's always room for improvement.