Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Indiana Jones Ride at Disney Hollywood Studios?

I suppose "fundamental" isn't the correct word but "hereditary" is more accurate. After Jaws and 1941 Spielberg was eyeing doing a James Bond film (in most interviews he references a "international globe-trotting film" but in the Making of Indiana Jones book its directly said that he wanted to do a James Bond film)....the powers that be wouldn't let him (probably something to do with going over budget on Jaws and 1941.) George Lucas tells Spielberg that he had something better, this was the Indiana Jones character, the idea of an adventure serial. Through story talks with Lucas, Spielberg, and Lawrence Kasdan the name "James Bond" ended up getting thrown out several times (along with Humphrey Bogart and Clint Eastwood.) This meeting really established the idea that this character was going to be Spielberg's James Bond. Before casting the idea was tossed around that they could cast multiple actors for the trilogy (assuming the first was successful), similar to James Bond...but they later rejected it because they felt it was too on-the-nose of an homage. However, they kept several aspects of James Bond in their films from the cold open in the midst of a previous adventure and the changing of love interests in each film. Indiana Jones films are James Bond films (with homages to adventure serials and Eastwood westerns) with a different skin.

I love the Indiana Jones franchise more than any other franchise...I probably know more about the character, movies, and EU material than I know about anything else. Being the massive fan that I am, given lectures on the subject, I even wrote my thesis about Hinduism and its use in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, I still think Indy could be recasted, because of the franchises roots and inspiration from the James Bond series.

While I find this interesting. The fact they decided to stay with Harrison Ford, and only release a trilogy followed by a fourth film several years later, they kind of trapped themselves.

I think crystal skull should have been the start, and the fact they are still considering bringing back Harrison again, that they haven’t learned from their mistake with Crystal Skull. That and those swinging monkeys of course.

While I find this interesting. The fact they decided to stay with Harrison Ford, and only release a trilogy followed by a fourth film several years later, they kind of trapped themselves.

I think crystal skull should have been the start, and the fact they are still considering bringing back Harrison again, that they haven’t learned from their mistake with Crystal Skull. That and those swinging monkeys of course.
It’s interesting because they screen-tested 250 actors and only liked Tom Selleck...lost Tom Selleck last minute and casted Harrison Ford 3 weeks before filming. I’m pretty sure it was abandoned when they realized they didn’t click with as many actors as they originally thought they would.

Crystal Skull is an ultimate failure because it’s less of an adventure movie and more of a 50’s B-movie and almost feels incongruent with the 30’s adventure serial idea.

It’s interesting because they screen-tested 250 actors and only liked Tom Selleck...lost Tom Selleck last minute and casted Harrison Ford 3 weeks before filming. I’m pretty sure it was abandoned when they realized they didn’t click with as many actors as they originally thought they would.

Crystal Skull is an ultimate failure because it’s less of an adventure movie and more of a 50’s B-movie and almost feels incongruent with the 30’s adventure serial idea.
Thats because it is emulating a 1950s B-scifi movie. That was the stated intent since the action moved into the 1950s.

In fact you could make an argument that one of Crystal Skull's big problems is that it was not enough of a 50's style B-sci-fi and too much of a 30's style adventure.

I suppose "fundamental" isn't the correct word but "hereditary" is more accurate. After Jaws and 1941 Spielberg was eyeing doing a James Bond film (in most interviews he references a "international globe-trotting film" but in the Making of Indiana Jones book its directly said that he wanted to do a James Bond film)....the powers that be wouldn't let him (probably something to do with going over budget on Jaws and 1941.) George Lucas tells Spielberg that he had something better, this was the Indiana Jones character, the idea of an adventure serial. Through story talks with Lucas, Spielberg, and Lawrence Kasdan the name "James Bond" ended up getting thrown out several times (along with Humphrey Bogart and Clint Eastwood.) This meeting really established the idea that this character was going to be Spielberg's James Bond. Before casting the idea was tossed around that they could cast multiple actors for the trilogy (assuming the first was successful), similar to James Bond...but they later rejected it because they felt it was too on-the-nose of an homage. However, they kept several aspects of James Bond in their films from the cold open in the midst of a previous adventure and the changing of love interests in each film. Indiana Jones films are James Bond films (with homages to adventure serials and Eastwood westerns) with a different skin.

I love the Indiana Jones franchise more than any other franchise...I probably know more about the character, movies, and EU material than I know about anything else. Being the massive fan that I am, given lectures on the subject, I even wrote my thesis about Hinduism and its use in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, I still think Indy could be recasted, because of the franchises roots and inspiration from the James Bond series.
This is a really good and interesting post. :thumbsup:

Thats because it is emulating a 1950s B-scifi movie. That was the stated intent since the action moved into the 1950s.
Yeah, that’s what I was implying. A 30’s adventure serial character dropped into a 50’s B-movie, with the format of an adventure serial, ends up feeling all over the place and ultimately resulted in a disappointing film with moments of greatness.

Yeah, that’s what I was implying. A 30’s adventure serial character dropped into a 50’s B-movie, with the format of an adventure serial, ends up feeling all over the place and ultimately resulted in a disappointing film with moments of greatness.
It wasn't designed as an adventure serial (although there were some still made in the 50s). It was supposed to be like the those "creature from the black lagoon" type movies. And contrary to popular belief it was successful financially and actually received good reviews (while the lowest for the series it still ranked 78% on RT). Myself, I rank it above Temple of Doom which seemed to consist solely of Kate Capshaw screaming.....

It wasn't designed as an adventure serial (although there were some still made in the 50s). It was supposed to be like the those "creature from the black lagoon" type movies. And contrary to popular belief it was successful financially and actually received good reviews (while the lowest for the series it still ranked 78% on RT). Myself, I rank it above Temple of Doom which seemed to consist solely of Kate Capshaw screaming.....
The Indiana Jones series is based on adventure serials from the 1930’s, the film still has adventure serial elements and the format of an adventure serial AND contains elements of 50’s b-movies.

The Indiana Jones series is based on adventure serials from the 1930’s, the film still has adventure serial elements and the format of an adventure serial AND contains elements of 50’s b-movies.
Well, that's wasn't the intention according to Lucas. It was supposed to be a straight sci-fi-B-level action flick.

I think the tension between the sort of movie Lucas wanted to make and the sort of movie Spielberg wanted to make is the reason why CRYSTAL SKULL just feels "off" for a lot of people. Spielberg never fully bought into Lucas' idea for the MacGuffin (which Lucas refused to budge on), and he was eventually worn down to such an extent that he basically threw his hands up and said, "Okay, George, fine."

In some ways, I think it's admirable that Spielberg values his friendship with Lucas to such a great extent that he'll basically make an entire movie just to satisfy what Lucas wants to see, and there's true humility in the way Spielberg has always deferred to Lucas when it comes to the Indiana Jones movies...

... but I think having Lucas out of the picture now will - hopefully - allow Spielberg to have a storyline that really engages him. If INDY V does happen.

I think the tension between the sort of movie Lucas wanted to make and the sort of movie Spielberg wanted to make is the reason why CRYSTAL SKULL just feels "off" for a lot of people. Spielberg never fully bought into Lucas' idea for the MacGuffin (which Lucas refused to budge on), and he was eventually worn down to such an extent that he basically threw his hands up and said, "Okay, George, fine."

In some ways, I think it's admirable that Spielberg values his friendship with Lucas to such a great extent that he'll basically make an entire movie just to satisfy what Lucas wants to see, and there's true humility in the way Spielberg has always deferred to Lucas when it comes to the Indiana Jones movies...

... but I think having Lucas out of the picture now will - hopefully - allow Spielberg to have a storyline that really engages him. If INDY V does happen.
George Lucas is going to be involved in Indy 5. Spielberg has said he won't do the movie without Lucas on board.

He'll be "involved" insofar as Spielberg will run ideas by him as a courtesy to get feedback. He will likely get a ceremonial "Executive Producer" credit.

He will not have any sort of veto power over the script like he has had in the previous four films.