Is USF still a 'Studios' Park? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Is USF still a 'Studios' Park?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Is it still a "Studios" park?

• Yes

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 48.1%

• Total voters
I would say that it also seems part of the problem is that there is no clear-cut definition of what a "Studio" park.

To present a flipside, no one would argue that USH isn't a Studio park yet they pretty much have the same line-up as USF save for the Studio Tour (which admittedly does a lot of heavy lifting). You enter the world of Hogsmeade, Jurassic World (to a lesser extent), and WaterWorld is presented in the same way as Bourne.
If I recall, the Waterworld preshow acknowledges it is a show ( warning guests about the splash zone, warming them up, etc) and then features non-diegetic narration explaining the story of the IP. Bourne contorts its narrative in hilariously awkward ways to make everything - guests, exposition, theater - part of the Bourne “reality.” One is explicitly a show, one is presented as “real.”

But the appeal of USH is that it actually is a busy studio…when you go to see the ugly show buildings on the Lower Lot, it’s because there are actual shows being produced next door. USF’s production center was manufactured from the get-go as a failed ploy to bring movies to Florida…it was never organic and definitely isn’t now.

Let’s put it this way…if I came here to justify the hodgepodge of themes and IP at Epcot by saying “oh, look at the new parking lot sections…they’re rebranding as a studio park,” people would lose their minds :lmao:
In that case, does the level of busyness of the studio define whether it's a studio park? While it's obviously no where near the quantity of USH's filming, filming still does occur in the park/soundstages. (FWIW, I have no skin in this game and could not care less one way or another. Genuinely asking here.)

In that case, does the level of busyness of the studio define whether it's a studio park? While it's obviously no where near the quantity of USH's filming, filming still does occur in the park/soundstages. (FWIW, I have no skin in this game and could not care less one way or another. Genuinely asking here.)

Filming takes place every year at MK for Christmas Parades and other special events... so Magic Kingdom is technically a studio park if that's how we go about classifying a studio park.

I still think a studio park is entirely dependent if the guest themselves experience any filming or educational experiences that allow them to learn about the film process.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Filming takes place every year at MK for Christmas Parades and other special events... so Magic Kingdom is technically a studio park if that's how we go about classifying a studio park.

I still think a studio park is entirely dependent if the guest themselves experience any filming or educational experiences that allow them to learn about the film process.
Sure, but that's Disney filming a Disney event. Universal has outside companies regularly using their studios for filming. Not quite comparable.

I get that latter point completely, but like it was mentioned earlier, I'm not sure that definition fully works in 2023 as those types of experiences seem to continuously be phased out of parks.

Sure, but that's Disney filming a Disney event. Universal has outside companies regularly using their studios for filming. Not quite comparable.

I get that latter point completely, but like it was mentioned earlier, I'm not sure that definition fully works in 2023 as those types of experiences seem to continuously be phased out of parks.
I still don’t see the production facilities as part of USF (and, internally, neither does Universal Orlando). If the Disney studios in Burbank (?) were relocated next door to Disneyland, it wouldn’t give Disneyland the all-clear to start building “soundstages” along Main Street.

I still don’t see the production facilities as part of USF (and, internally, neither does Universal Orlando). If the Disney studios in Burbank (?) were relocated next door to Disneyland, it wouldn’t give Disneyland the all-clear to start building “soundstages” along Main Street.

I'd disagree on that regard.

It’s a completely separate business unit dude :lol:
I mean, they still consider it part of Universal Studios Florida. Their own words (including a first paragraph that might just be their own definition of a "studio park"):
In 1988, Universal Studios Florida was conceived as a "working" studio for feature films, TV, and commercial production. The studio would provide added entertainment value to the Universal Studios Florida theme park by allowing guests of the park to become part of studio audiences and spectators while a production was filming in the parks.

Universal Studios Florida Production Group's ("USFPG") sound stage operations opened for business in October 1988, as the first operating division at Universal Studios Florida. The first building was The Producers Building (B22A), which provided production offices for the USFPG staff and outside production companies. Then came stages 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24, followed by 18, 19 and B17 (to support Nickelodeon's Florida Network Operations). The last stage added was stage 25, originally housing America's Health Network (Discovery Health) and, currently, the DAVE School.

The facilities at Universal Studios Florida are globally well known within the entertainment business and, since its inception, thousands of high-profile feature films, television shows, commercials, and print productions have utilized its sound stages and backlot.
They specifically state that the facilities are at "Universal Studios Florida". Not Universal Orlando Resort, CityWalk, Islands of Adventure, etc. Especially apparent as the "backlot" listed is just the park itself which has also had filmed productions.
There have also been hundreds of music videos, print, and television commercials shot in the stages and on the backlot since its inception.

The Backlot Locations section is literally just areas of the park:

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian G.
I mean, they still consider it part of Universal Studios Florida. Their own words (including a first paragraph that might just be their own definition of a "studio park"):

They specifically state that the facilities are at "Universal Studios Florida". Not Universal Orlando Resort, CityWalk, Islands of Adventure, etc. Especially apparent as the "backlot" listed is just the park itself which has also had filmed productions.

The Backlot Locations section is literally just areas of the park:
Granted, the part of my career I spent there was not in Park Operations…but that was never how I understood it at all. From my 30,000 foot view they operated as a separate cost center, HR zoning, ID access, etc.

As far as what the “parameters” are, they’re all arbitrary…the whole conversation is! I don’t think it’s about understanding or not, just an interesting thought exercise… @Brian G. you asked for opinions on whether or not we considered the park a studio or not, these are the opinions you can take or leave ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Jake S
Granted, the part of my career I spent there was not in Park Operations…but that was never how I understood it at all. From my 30,000 foot view they operated as a separate cost center, HR zoning, ID access, etc.

As far as what the “parameters” are, they’re all arbitrary…the whole conversation is! I don’t think it’s about understanding or not, just an interesting thought exercise… @Brian G. you asked for opinions on whether or not we considered the park a studio or not, these are the opinions you can take or leave ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Truth be told, it wasn't for my curiosity but to move the discussion from the Minions thread to a dedicated one. As I said, it's not a clear "black and white" answer but some of y'all answers are odd to me.

Reactions: Michael S
Truth be told, it wasn't for my curiosity but to move the discussion from the Minions thread to a dedicated one. As I said, it's not a clear "black and white" answer but some of y'all answers are odd to me.
Not gonna lie, in the middle of typing some of these responses out I even caught myself going “wtf are you talking about it’s not that deep”… but I’m working from home with not much better to do and its been nothing if not an interesting discussion I really wouldn’t have anywhere else!

Not gonna lie, in the middle of typing some of these responses out I even caught myself going “wtf are you talking about it’s not that deep”… but I’m working from home with not much better to do and its been nothing if not an interesting discussion I really wouldn’t have anywhere else!

It's about where I'm at
Patrick Stewart Cheers GIF by Blunt Talk

Same, theme park discussions like these are my water cooler lol

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
The World you have entered was created by The Walt Disney Company and is dedicated to Hollywood- not a place on the map, but a state of mind that exists wherever people dream and wonder and imagine, a place where illusion and reality are fused by technological magic. We welcome you to a Hollywood that never was-and always will be. - Michael Eisner, 1989

While this is DHS's dedication plaque I feel this lines up pretty well with USF too. DHS opened with the fantasy upfront celebrating movies, while in the back was... the backstage! That's where all the behind-the-scenes learning and themed items went. USF was the same, but backward, and took their tram tour and directed it into individual attractions. USF flips the concept with the backstage areas being the entrance (Hitchcock, Murder, HMU, etc) while the fantasy-focused (JAWS, BTTF, ET, etc) attractions are in the back.

USF has always had attractions and shows that explained how movies were made AND others that were traditional fun rides. The park can both still be a studio park in content and theme yet also have fewer making-of attractions. It's ok to be disappointed in that and not be "it's not a studio park now".

Wait… USH is a studio park, and we agree on that, right? But with the removal of AA and the Special Effects show (leaving the studio tour as the lone behind the scenes attraction in the park) USF has more behind the scenes attractions at the park: Animal Actors and Horror Make Up Show. Even on the Universal tour, Supercharged is presented as something actually happening, not a behind the scenes look into the film franchise.

I saw @Casper Gutman say Waterworld is presented as a “show.” Well that’s because it IS a show… and they make an announcement to warn guests about pyrotechnics, for those who may be sensitive to that sort of thing. Just like warning graphics for Harry Potter attractions will refer to them as… rides, not a “tour of Hogwarts.”

But once the show starts, everything is “real.”
Same as when we had T23D, you were walking into Cyberdyne, but signs would be posted around notifying guests it is a show with pyrotechnics and loud noises, sudden flashes, things like that. I’m sure Bourne has some signage labeling it as… a show

I really don’t care about whether or not USH or USF are “studio” parks, but I just see a lot of contradictory statements in some posts that add even more confusion, to this fun, but ultimately trivial discussion.

No… filming at Disney doesn’t make a park a studio park. But maybe advertising/labeling the park sections as the Backlot of the functioning production center, as universal has, would.

Filming at Disney, we consider a location shoot. Filming on the backlot, is considered a studio shoot. And those labels are very important, as our union(s) have different rules for each. And our Studio contract would be in effect, if we film at USF, inside the park.

*lemme hop off my soap box now*

Last edited:
Yes, still a studio park to me. I spent a year studying at the backlot of Universal Studios Hollywood. I was able to film movies in the backlot, use their props for my own films, and walk around areas of the studio. There are parts of New York at Orlando that still remind me of the New York portion of the backlot. There are many features that remind me of the backlot. For that reason, the overall theme of the park is a studio and will be until they get rid of the soundstages. The “how to make movies” attractions was a plus but for me the aesthetics is what made it match the park’s name.

Yup. Horror Makeup, Animal Actors, E.T., Mummy, and HRRR all have at least one aspect that aligns with the behind-the-scenes and production angle that some (certainly not all) of the 90s attractions relied on, and New York is an actual working backlot set. This doesn't even count the real functional soundstages that I just found out are apparently not part of the park anymore after reading this thread.

But to @ImaginerdMike and @Chumpieboy points - USF has always been a hodge podge with a Studio Lot aesthetic, which lets them get away with cheating a little bit. They aren't confined to the "Theme Park rules" - which is why you had "Behind-the-scenes" mixed with "in the movies" even during the 90s.

What I don't get is why we're changing the parameters of a "Studio" because it doesn't do it as much as it used to. It still has "behind the scenes" attractions, still has film sets in the park, and still has filming productions. A rose is a rose and all that.
To me the difference is that, when Nickelodeon was there, the Studio was a big part of the park. You got to go and see the slime geyser where Slime Time Live was recorded every day (and park guests were invited to be in the audience or even be one of the kids who got slime dumped on them). There was also a Nick Studios tour. All of this made was included with admission to USF and really made it feel like it earned the title of being a "Studio" park.

With the Studio being it's own thing now and most of the park losing that Studio theming little by little over the years, I just don't consider it as a "Studio" park. As i've said, I think the theme is more "Hollywood Entertainment".

I consider it the same for DHS. Once Animation and active production stopped there, I didn't consider it a Studio park anymore. This was in the early 2000's when it was still MGM. DHS really lost it's identity for quite some time. Now it's sort of in that same "Hollywood Entertainment" space as USF with a few exceptions (Indiana Jones being the most obvious thing). DHS still has ugly unthemed soundstage buildings, but you'll never hear me defending those. I desperately want them to demolish (or at the very least theme) a large swath of them. :lol:

I would say that it also seems part of the problem is that there is no clear-cut definition of what a "Studio" park.

To present a flipside, no one would argue that USH isn't a Studio park yet they pretty much have the same line-up as USF save for the Studio Tour (which admittedly does a lot of heavy lifting). You enter the world of Hogsmeade, Jurassic World (to a lesser extent), and WaterWorld is presented in the same way as Bourne.
I argued that if they took away the Studio Tour I wouldn't consider it one like a page back...

It's a studio-themed park, not a studio park.
Nailed it here. Almost like Universal wants the flexibility to be lazy if they want because they always have the soundstage “theming” to fall back on if they want to cut costs.

Last edited: