Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic Outfitters

Well, Jurassic Park doesn't typically get long wait times during HHN.

I just hate when a herd of obnoxious, sopping wet park-goers wearing XL ponchos just push on through the narrow aisles of the gift shop after they get off the ride.
Well actually...I went on Jurassic Park on HHN with a wait time of 40 minutes I think. Not too many people were wearing ponchos to be fair, and they didn't just push through...I still felt like it was open enough and had enough aisles for people to disperse as they make their way through it.

I feel that Universal/Amazing Pictures needs to update with the current generation and change all the ride photos to email purchases.  I understand losing the photo by people taking pictures of the screens, although Disney still allows that, but sometimes I want a small image of the photo sent to me and I don't want to pay $17 for a picture.

I feel that Universal/Amazing Pictures needs to update with the current generation and change all the ride photos to email purchases.  I understand losing the photo by people taking pictures of the screens, although Disney still allows that, but sometimes I want a small image of the photo sent to me and I don't want to pay $17 for a picture.
Yeah, I can see how with digital cameras and camera phones nowdays...people can just take a picture of the screens, particularly if the screen with the photo is not high up, but about desk level with the people behind it.  I think they should have it where you pay in advance for a picture if you want that, not before. 

I feel that Universal/Amazing Pictures needs to update with the current generation and change all the ride photos to email purchases. I understand losing the photo by people taking pictures of the screens, although Disney still allows that, but sometimes I want a small image of the photo sent to me and I don't want to pay $17 for a picture.
Then pay under $30 for the Unlimited Photos Annual Pass deal!!! Mine with a special coupon was $20 when I renewed a month ago! It's so worth it!

They should have a similar package for one day/tourists for $40-50. Unlimited pictures all day. They'd make a ton of cash.

But Universal's deal for Annual Pass members is the absolute best. Wish disney had something like that. They were on the right track when they recently tested the Free-$2 on ride texted pics deal, which they quietly got rid of again....

Disney knows that photographers will always try to take photos of the screen and - unlike Universal - they embrace it because they know it's free promotion.

Those that want a photo will get one.

Then pay under $30 for the Unlimited Photos Annual Pass deal!!! Mine with a special coupon was $20 when I renewed a month ago! It's so worth it!

They should have a similar package for one day/tourists for $40-50. Unlimited pictures all day. They'd make a ton of cash.

But Universal's deal for Annual Pass members is the absolute best. Wish disney had something like that. They were on the right track when they recently tested the Free-$2 on ride texted pics deal, which they quietly got rid of again....
Is there actually anyone who pays for ride photos? I always thought only one day tourists or first timers did the ride photo thing. I have a ride photo from the JP Ride...from waaay back when I was a kid. Thats the only one so far. 

And good on Universal for being willing to embrace it rather then pretend the problem doesn't exist.

I go like every 3 weeks to Universal and every single time I complain about Jurassic Outfitters.

I know for a fact Jurassic World is going to have a HUGE toy campaign. They really want to bring the popularity of dinosaurs to kids up again. I expect next summer the shop will be full with Jurassic merch. 

I go like every 3 weeks to Universal and every single time I complain about Jurassic Outfitters.

I know for a fact Jurassic World is going to have a HUGE toy campaign. They really want to bring the popularity of dinosaurs to kids up again. I expect next summer the shop will be full with Jurassic merch. 
I am aware of how huge Jurassic World's toy campaign is going to be. My complaint is not that, it is that Universal apparently fails to capitalize on it enough. I think once Jurassic World comes out this coming june, the despicable me stuff is going to have to share space with Jurassic not only in the main universal shops, but in city walk too. (I know Minions is going to lead to even more of the despicable me stuff and crowds resurgent at Minion Mayhem. I think once Jurassic comes out, all the other crap is going to be moved out of Jurassic Outfitters and put back in its proper place will be a smorgasbord of Jurassic World/Park merchandise to purchase.

Disney knows that photographers will always try to take photos of the screen and - unlike Universal - they embrace it because they know it's free promotion.

Those that want a photo will get one.
For Annual Pass holders, Universal's year long deal is a great way to make money, and also offer a great service.

For Annual Pass holders, Universal's year long deal is a great way to make money, and also offer a great service.
Okay?

My point was that penny pinching doesn't always result in a good guest experience. It boggles my mind how free and open Disney is regarding their photo policy.

Okay?

My point was that penny pinching doesn't always result in a good guest experience. It boggles my mind how free and open Disney is regarding their photo policy.
No I understand, and my point was that I think Universal found a good balance where they can offer an enticing package (for Annual pass members) that stops them from taking pics of the screen and instead have them have unlimited amount of pics for a year for a low price. I think THAT is smart, and is something Disney should embrace as well. I will gladly fork out up $100 if that means I can have unlimited on-ride pics for a whole year at Disney.

But the way Disney was testing it a few months ago was even better than Universal's deal. Offer the ride pics as an SMS image for $1, $2, or even free on some of those days.

Just like you said, that's practically free advertising. I think keeping the on ride pics at that cheap of a price will increase profits and make guests happier in the end, compared to having the same 1990s price scheme both parks have right now.

I simply love that you can access all the photos from the barcode on your annual pass for DLR.
Woah.....i completely forgot about that! We were using the PhotoPass cards the past few trips. Totally forgot our AP can hold it!

That's another thing Disney does right, and kills me that Universal is cheap about it: the quality of the annual pass. At Disney you have a credit card plastic type of pass, and at Universal you have the cheap paper ticket that's the same as a one day ticket. So cheap...

That's another thing Disney does right, and kills me that Universal is cheap about it: the quality of the annual pass. At Disney you have a credit card plastic type of pass, and at Universal you have the cheap paper ticket that's the same as a one day ticket. So cheap...
I don't think it's that cheap. It's more environmentally friendly.

Regardless, Universal's abrasive anti-photo policies have become almost laughable. I remember when they blocked off the Jurassic Park and Mummy monitors and began overlaying the Amazing Photos icon over the Simpsons photo kiosks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's that cheap. It's more environmentally friendly.

Regardless, Universal's abrasive anti-photo policies have become almost laughable. I remember when they blocked off the Jurassic Park and Mummy monitors and began overlaying the Amazing Photos icon over the Simpsons photo kiosks.
...ok, but there's a point where environmentally friendly also needs to be practical. Only the Premier Pass holders get an AP holder now, which is thick plastic (talk about unfriendly for the environment) and the rest have their AP left out to the elements.

What Disney has is environmentally friendly! They have now implemented that the Annual Passes, on all levels, are ours to keep and that any time we upgrade or renew, we have the same pass from a few years ago but the information in the bar code is updated. So you get to keep your thick plastic card and keep reusing that. I think that's great.

I do agree with you that Universal's no photos of the screens policy is laughable, but they also currently have the best Photo program for AP holders, so I'll cut them some slack.

But seriously, for Universal Annual Passes, for the prices we're now paying (and which are only gonna increase), they can afford to make the passes more high quality in my opinion and more sturdy.

I'll finally put my thoughts down since I have some time, without repeating too much of what was already said.

When I was younger this store was wonderland. I remember clearly all the JP merchandise and the excitement when new things arrived in shop.

...And then one day it stopped. And the generic dinosaur merchandise began to creep in. And then random tie die hippie/islander clothing. And then Mummy and general Universal merch came in.

Maybe the generic dino merch was to pinch pennies. It came at a time when the travel industry was hurting - I remember it being around the fall of 2001 when the changes really came to my attention. After the wetter than ever promo that same summer, it was a bad blow.

And now we've got a new movie coming, and I've seen some more JP merch come in, mostly cups and shirts and some generic toys, but there's some new things trickling in. I hate seeing other merchandise in there. I prefer ride gift shops to maintain one theme, and leave the general park stores for the mishmash of all the park's attractions. Let people continue to feel the ride experience out the door. Later, when they've actually ridden and seen more things, let them reflect on the entire day and shop with nostalgia. You'll sell more that way than just throwing it all in each shop.

Having each store sell duplicate merchandise just encourages people to NOT visit each store, because they're expecting to see the same things. You keep each ride shop special, and people will visit and linger to see the unique offerings.

Long story short, I'm hopeful that the new movie will allow for a new renaissance for Jurassic Outfitters, a new life into a store that I've cherished for years. I'm not happy about the movie, but I'm happy and hopeful for the positives it could bring to my favorite store, and my favorite movie.

I'll finally put my thoughts down since I have some time, without repeating too much of what was already said.

When I was younger this store was wonderland. I remember clearly all the JP merchandise and the excitement when new things arrived in shop.

...And then one day it stopped. And the generic dinosaur merchandise began to creep in. And then random tie die hippie/islander clothing. And then Mummy and general Universal merch came in.

Maybe the generic dino merch was to pinch pennies. It came at a time when the travel industry was hurting - I remember it being around the fall of 2001 when the changes really came to my attention. After the wetter than ever promo that same summer, it was a bad blow.

And now we've got a new movie coming, and I've seen some more JP merch come in, mostly cups and shirts and some generic toys, but there's some new things trickling in. I hate seeing other merchandise in there. I prefer ride gift shops to maintain one theme, and leave the general park stores for the mishmash of all the park's attractions. Let people continue to feel the ride experience out the door. Later, when they've actually ridden and seen more things, let them reflect on the entire day and shop with nostalgia. You'll sell more that way than just throwing it all in each shop.

Having each store sell duplicate merchandise just encourages people to NOT visit each store, because they're expecting to see the same things. You keep each ride shop special, and people will visit and linger to see the unique offerings.

Long story short, I'm hopeful that the new movie will allow for a new renaissance for Jurassic Outfitters, a new life into a store that I've cherished for years. I'm not happy about the movie, but I'm happy and hopeful for the positives it could bring to my favorite store, and my favorite movie.
Let me break down in response as well. Yes when I was younger, I remember seeing this store filled with Jurassic Park attractions and merchandise as well. I was overwhelmed, that there were things here that I would even have difficulty finding in stores. I was amazed as well, at the wide and varied selection that everything it had.  Even up to 2012, they had the 2k9 figures...even when stores like ToysRus had long since stopped carrying them.

Oh yeah, I remember the random dinosaur merchandise. At the time I hated it, but I was like..."at least the dino merch is at the front of the shop!" Because Jurassic Park was still being displayed predominantly due to the presence of the Jurassic Park items. But the general universal merch was also there, creeping in and I was still not worried, thinking it was going to be okay as long as Dino merch no matter how generic was at the front of the shop.

Im seeing new merch trickle in as well. I hope that cups, key chains etc is setting up for the flood of items that a new movie is sure to bring in. I do hate seeing other merch there, I hate seeing the front of the shop advertising unrelated items...and JP being pushed to the back third of the shop. Its a shadow of its former self. 

I agree, duplicate merchandise defeats the purpose. What is the meaning of having multiple stores carry the same thing? People will begin to shop at a generic store then over a themed one carrying duplicate merchandise. No incentive either to purchase something if they can buy the same thing at the upper lot. Why carry it up all these escalators when you can buy it just before you exit the park or in the universal experience store? Makes no sense. 

I too hope that Jurassic World can wake the marketing execs up to take the duplicate merch out and make Jurassic Outfitters a true JP experience.