Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Knott's Scary Farm 2020

It's always been weird to me that they never went through with it, was just talking to a friend last night about how much of a missed opportunity it is in fact. Could easily make it a pseudo sequel to the original maze, with guests sneaking into Hayden Hill years after the initial incident, coming across the abandoned and dilapidated equipment from the show's crew before accidentally reawakening the spirits with our presence.

Also, on the topic of the special ops guns, I know they'd never do it since licensed properties really aren't knotts' thing, but I had the idea a few months back that a Half Life themed maze where the guests take the place of the military from the first game would work really well in that format.
love the urban exploring angle, could really add a new life to the maze.

On another note, any big changes anyone’s heard about for this year? Last year’s Hanging could’ve just had a twist ending, but if it’s not continued this year, could we see another outdoor show? I’m sure puppet up will return due to its super positive reception, same with Conjurers, but Hanging seems up in the air. For new mazes, I’m predicting that it’ll follow the 2016/2017/2019 trend of having a maze that directly connects to the Ghostown story after Origin’s success and a clear larger emphasis on the Sarah Marshall story. I’d love to see a maze about a coven of witches trying to resurrect the Green Witch in some way. It could be way more tenuous, like Red Barn, but that’s all if it’s connected, which is still a question.

On another note, any big changes anyone’s heard about for this year? Last year’s Hanging could’ve just had a twist ending, but if it’s not continued this year, could we see another outdoor show? I’m sure puppet up will return due to its super positive reception, same with Conjurers, but Hanging seems up in the air. For new mazes, I’m predicting that it’ll follow the 2016/2017/2019 trend of having a maze that directly connects to the Ghostown story after Origin’s success and a clear larger emphasis on the Sarah Marshall story. I’d love to see a maze about a coven of witches trying to resurrect the Green Witch in some way. It could be way more tenuous, like Red Barn, but that’s all if it’s connected, which is still a question.

I would love to see a continuation of the Ghost Town story with a new maze over at Mystery Lodge. It would also be nice to have whatever maze is replacing Shadowlands bring back the Carnevil theme along with Dark Ride.

Right now I'm a little more interested in how the event will operate this year. I know it is still a little while out but if anyone has any insight on that I am all ears.

I'm personally a little bit doubtful we'll see the hanging this year, both due to the ending of last year's show and the fact that its a particularly hard show to distance people for since people tend to just stand in a big clump once the benches are full, although given how many crazy things have happened this year I have no doubt they'd have plenty of things to reference.

On the topic of lore based mazes, I am 100% in favor, though I'm not really sure what kind of thing they could do in ghost town that isn't more Sarah Marshall, but I still really like that knotts has been doing a few mazes that tie into the theme of the adjacent scare zone (Origins for Ghost Town, Pumpkin Eater for The Hollow, Dark Ride for CarnEvil). I can't really think of what else they could do with that unless they find some space to bring back the Gunslinger location and do a Forsaken Lake based maze.

Also, does anyone else find it strange that the Waxworks facade is seemingly missing based on the footage we have? I feel like in the past when it was trick or treat the facade stayed up between years, as most mazes do. Do you think we just havent gotten a good angle of it or its being retouched, or could Waxworks have been a one and done theme?

I'm personally a little bit doubtful we'll see the hanging this year, both due to the ending of last year's show and the fact that its a particularly hard show to distance people for since people tend to just stand in a big clump once the benches are full, although given how many crazy things have happened this year I have no doubt they'd have plenty of things to reference.

On the topic of lore based mazes, I am 100% in favor, though I'm not really sure what kind of thing they could do in ghost town that isn't more Sarah Marshall, but I still really like that knotts has been doing a few mazes that tie into the theme of the adjacent scare zone (Origins for Ghost Town, Pumpkin Eater for The Hollow, Dark Ride for CarnEvil). I can't really think of what else they could do with that unless they find some space to bring back the Gunslinger location and do a Forsaken Lake based maze.

Also, does anyone else find it strange that the Waxworks facade is seemingly missing based on the footage we have? I feel like in the past when it was trick or treat the facade stayed up between years, as most mazes do. Do you think we just havent gotten a good angle of it or its being retouched, or could Waxworks have been a one and done theme?

If they wanted to branch away from the Sarah Marshall story they could maybe tie something into the Calico River Rapids. Thankfully there are much more creative people working on that kind of stuff than me!

Regarding Wax Works my guess would be that since the facade has moving components, it's probably just safer for them to dismantle it so it isn't destroyed by the elements.

If they wanted to branch away from the Sarah Marshall story they could maybe tie something into the Calico River Rapids. Thankfully there are much more creative people working on that kind of stuff than me!

Regarding Wax Works my guess would be that since the facade has moving components, it's probably just safer for them to dismantle it so it isn't destroyed by the elements.
Seconding Wax Works not being a one and done. Miller apparently wanted to do it for a while and they even delayed it a year, just so it could be a good representation of his artistic design.

In regards to a forsaken lake maze, it would make complete sense, but that would only be if the zone is returning, which silver bullet zones are a bit inconsistent year to year. Anyone think they could be getting rid of/creating a new zone this year?

Seconding Wax Works not being a one and done. Miller apparently wanted to do it for a while and they even delayed it a year, just so it could be a good representation of his artistic design.

In regards to a forsaken lake maze, it would make complete sense, but that would only be if the zone is returning, which silver bullet zones are a bit inconsistent year to year. Anyone think they could be getting rid of/creating a new zone this year?
I think forsaken lake still has a few years left in it frankly, I don't think it's really risen to its full potential in the way The Hollow has in terms of newer scare zones.

I think forsaken lake still has a few years left in it frankly, I don't think it's really risen to its full potential in the way The Hollow has in terms of newer scare zones.

Totally agree. I think Forsaken Lake still has a lot of life left. I wouldn't mind seeing the the DJ go and scare zone return in Fiesta Village.

Pretty unfortunate and very likely true, though on the bright side we likely wont lose anything in the process since they only do originals, and usually leave a lot of mazes up between years anyway. I could totally see them doing some kind of halloween thing like theyre doing for Taste of Calico since they already know it can work and be popular, and they usually have a handful of special food items for Scary Farm as is.
Main thing that bums me out is that I missed out going last year, thinking that I'd have the chance to go this year, but clearly thats not gonna happen. Guess i'll finally get my chance to see Waxworks and Origins in 2021, assuming all goes well.

What do we think, at least prematurely, we’ll see for 2021 then? Since Knotts makes so much from KSF and Cedar Fair is losing basically half a year of income, could we see more than 2 new mazes at the event? I’d love to see 4-5 new mazes in 2021, but, while not entirely unrealistic, I don’t think it’d economically make sense. We’ll definitely see a new maze near xcelerator, mystery lodge, and perhaps some of the older mazes that would probably leave this year (Pumpkin Eater and paranormal)

What do we think, at least prematurely, we’ll see for 2021 then? Since Knotts makes so much from KSF and Cedar Fair is losing basically half a year of income, could we see more than 2 new mazes at the event? I’d love to see 4-5 new mazes in 2021, but, while not entirely unrealistic, I don’t think it’d economically make sense. We’ll definitely see a new maze near xcelerator, mystery lodge, and perhaps some of the older mazes that would probably leave this year (Pumpkin Eater and paranormal)

I think all you have to do is look at the past couple of years to see how things will most likely be. My guess is the trend of getting one to two new mazes a year will most likely continue. For 2021 that would be the replacements for Shadowlands and Special Ops: Infected.

The only mazes that I'd think are on the chopping block would be Paranormal Inc, Pumpkin Eater and maybe Dark Ride (admittedly my favorite, so I'd hate to see it go). However last year they made a point to mention that Special Ops: Infected and Shadowlands were in their final year and even sold merchandise so that is something they may do in for future mazes as well. Knott's Scary Farm has a dedicated fan base and I find it hard to believe they would go into 2021 after all of this with a new slate of mazes without doing some kind of farewell for the fans.

I think Cedar Fair is gonna be hurting hard enough from covid that we're only gonna see the 2 new mazes we were likely gonna see as is, but who knows. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say as a bonus theyre gonna finally do Paranormal Inc: Lights Out alongside 2 new mazes, which has been rumored pretty much ever since trick or treat left and I think would be a good way to either rejuvinate it since its 5 years old now, or to act as a final hurrah before taking it out for 2022. Other than Paranormal I'm gonna say that the 2 most likely to be next on the chopping block are definitely Pumpkin Eater and maybe Dark Entities. Its possible that Dark Entities has some room to grow and improve over the next couple years, but compared to a lot of the other mazes, including Dark Ride which is starting to show its age a little, I think Dark Entities has kinda been a weaker link in terms of newer mazes, plus I feel like they wanna keep most of the Cooke mazes that are still holding up well around as long as they can.

I think Cedar Fair is gonna be hurting hard enough from covid that we're only gonna see the 2 new mazes we were likely gonna see as is, but who knows. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say as a bonus theyre gonna finally do Paranormal Inc: Lights Out alongside 2 new mazes, which has been rumored pretty much ever since trick or treat left and I think would be a good way to either rejuvinate it since its 5 years old now, or to act as a final hurrah before taking it out for 2022. Other than Paranormal I'm gonna say that the 2 most likely to be next on the chopping block are definitely Pumpkin Eater and maybe Dark Entities. Its possible that Dark Entities has some room to grow and improve over the next couple years, but compared to a lot of the other mazes, including Dark Ride which is starting to show its age a little, I think Dark Entities has kinda been a weaker link in terms of newer mazes, plus I feel like they wanna keep most of the Cooke mazes that are still holding up well around as long as they can.
PI:Lights Out sounds great and I know it’s been a priority of Jon’s for awhile, but I don’t know if we would see the return of the flashlight tech, mainly due to its unreliability, mass discontinuation, and small already owned amount (they were putting cheaper, simpler flashlights in the maze just to handle capacity within its last year)

PI:Lights Out sounds great and I know it’s been a priority of Jon’s for awhile, but I don’t know if we would see the return of the flashlight tech, mainly due to its unreliability, mass discontinuation, and small already owned amount (they were putting cheaper, simpler flashlights in the maze just to handle capacity within its last year)

They may shy away from anything that has to be touched by large amounts of guests for the next couple of seasons as well.