Kumba Refurb? | Inside Universal Forums

Kumba Refurb?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 1, 2012
I cannot believe Kumba's turning 20 pretty soon. Rode her tons of time and will never stop. I still think Cheetah Hunt got nothing on her or Montu. Do you guys think Kumba should get a special treatment on her glorious mark? I was thinking floorless but that would ripoff sister park's Kraken and we have Montu and SheiKra on that catagory. Maybe a much better paintjob?

I think it needs a least a paint job… Floorless sounds interesting, but maybe not because of the two in that category already. However, if the really wanted to do something cool I'm sure they could make it floorless and still be completely different from Montu and SheiKra.

Kumba, as OF stated, was painted fairly recently. Kumba was the world's first B&M Sitting Coaster so it shouldn't be converted to floorless IMO. Besides, when they converted SheiKra to being floorless, they had tons of issues, and still do to this day. Not sure what it is about B&M Sitters but between Kumba and Hulk they tend to be more rough than others. Maybe they could do something.

Kumba, as OF stated, was painted fairly recently. Kumba was the world's first B&M Sitting Coaster so it shouldn't be converted to floorless IMO. Besides, when they converted SheiKra to being floorless, they had tons of issues, and still do to this day. Not sure what it is about B&M Sitters but between Kumba and Hulk they tend to be more rough than others. Maybe they could do something.

New shoulder restraints would be nice so its not such a head knocker.

I know it was the first, but I feel that a floorless design would breath new life into the coaster (not that it is dead)...If they keep the floor some new wheels would be fantastic

Just got a new style of wheels last year, it made the ROAR even louder. If they were to do something special for Kumba I would like to see an enclosed queue and enclose the helix at the end. Other than that leave it alone. It's one of the greatest coasters ever made and a model that worked so well coasters for the last 20 years have tried everything to plus it. Only one coaster ever did, Montu. But that's a conversation for 3 years from now :thumbs:

Does anyone know what wheel material it is that makes the coasters roar? With B&M coasters they use a combination of nylon and polyurethane IIRC. Kumba and Hulk are both coasters that roar intentionally...I wonder if that is what causes the roughness? :shrug:

Well the track spine is hollow which is what makes it roar and then add in the nylon wheels and your good to go. Still not 100% sure what was the exact "new" wheel material was in mid 2010 but I know for a fact it was so loud at one point employees wore hearing protection.

New shoulder restraints would be nice so its not such a head knocker.
Speaking of which, Anyone noticed Kumba and Montu sporting different color combos of shoulder restraints and seats? Ex, Some of the trains have black restraints rather the traditional light green (Kumba) and yellow w/blue seats (Montu; one train has black on black). Not that i'm complaining, gotta replace them ya know. :)

Speaking of which, Anyone noticed Kumba and Montu sporting different color combos of shoulder restraints and seats? Ex, Some of the trains have black restraints rather the traditional light green (Kumba) and yellow w/blue seats (Montu; one train has black on black). Not that i'm complaining, gotta replace them ya know. :)

I've noticed, just been ignoring it like usual... probably easier to buy 1 harness in black in bulk than the 3 different colors they were doing before...

I first noticed when doing Howl o scream last year. I thought the black restraints on Montu's look meaner.

I first noticed when doing Howl o scream last year. I thought the black restraints on Montu's look meaner.

They mentioned it on the tour I took recently. Figment is correct: it's just easier to buy the black in bulk, and it's a neutral color so it matches everything. I'm pretty sure the restraints are modular as well, so SheiKra harnesses can be used at Montu, etc. Not absolutely sure about that, but it'd be just another reason.

I think it looks fine on all but Montu; I prefer the yellow still. But since they replaced the awesome bogey covers, I'm okay with black. If they brought back the old bogey covers and the yellow restraints, it'd be beautiful.

I think SheiKra also has those restraints on one of the trains.

SheiKra always had black ones long as I remember. Hmm imagine they slap black restraints on the front Dragons at IOA, I dubbed them Chow Chows.

SheiKra always had black ones long as I remember. Hmm imagine they slap black restraints on the front Dragons at IOA, I dubbed them Chow Chows.

Well there grey but close enough :lol: