Let's play being head of Universal Creative... | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Let's play being head of Universal Creative...

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Turn MIB into a Ghostbusters shooter dark ride. I'm pretty sure it's been brought up before, but it's a great idea lmao.
This is about the only way I’d be excited about MIB being rethemed/replaced, but I don’t know how they’d try to justify Ghostbusters being on the opposite side of the park as New York.

Edit: Unless it’s still a World’s Fair and their showing off Ghostbusting equipment for sale? Sure, it’s probably be a “training turns into the real deal” storyline like MIB, but it would somewhat fit this area of the park.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
This is about the only way I’d be excited about MIB being rethemed/replaced, but I don’t know how they’d try to justify Ghostbusters being on the opposite side of the park as New York.
Well MIB takes place in New York. I would keep the same type of facade from MIB where there's some sort of World's Fair or convention where the Ghostbusters are showing off their latest equipment.

The firehouse still stands in the NY area of the park, but it's not its former self. I don't think there would be a problem with GB over on the other side of the park, even with the firehouse still standing and NY quite literally being an area within the park.

Reactions: DodgsonHere
Well MIB takes place in New York. I would keep the same type of facade from MIB where there's some sort of World's Fair or convention where the Ghostbusters are showing off their latest equipment.

The firehouse still stands in the NY area of the park, but it's not its former self. I don't think there would be a problem with GB over on the other side of the park, even with the firehouse still standing and NY quite literally being an area within the park.
I’m sure if they really wanted to put Ghostbusters over there they could. Theming and placemaking are pretty fast and loose in USF outside of Diagon.

Another pitch on how to Transform USH's Simpsons area. This plan will involve using the Simpsons plot and the tram stop if they decide to relocate the stop to the lower lot or make it an upcharged experience away from the park. There is not a ton of land for a fully immersive land so the IP would not be in the A tier. This would use the Hanna Barbara IP. (pending the NBCU WBD merger if it's true) The Simpsons plot will be used to house a TSMM Scooby Doo attraction themed around a haunted theater. This would help tie into the LA street setting Springfield is likely to get reskinned into. A large scale family dark ride on par with MMRR would go into where the tram is now. It would be trackless (yes Universal is seemingly not interested in trackless rides now but it's still fun to imagine a Universal trackless ride) and feature you teaming up with Blue Falcon and all major HB characters while you chase down Dick Dasdardly and maybe other HB villains and mythical creatures through time. It would be like MMRR except with more practical set pieces with projection mapped media in them.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Universal Park concept v3

Overall

This ditches the outdated and kinda irrelevant studio theme that only really works on Hollywood. Rather it’s akin to Islands of Adventure. Look at the very Universal logo itself. Why not have it themed as a trip through the world itself? Alternatively, the theme could that be of time itself, with Doc Brown serving as the park’s mascot.

Universal’s Harbor of Adventure
  • The entry plaza. It kind of ties all the lands together aesthetically. Characters representing each land (but NOT from those lands itself) are present.
  • One idea for presentation; is that it starts off mundane and low key; but the design grows more grand and fantastic as you go on; eventually leading to…
  • The world tree. Inspired by Yggdrasil; it’s not really a real tree, but a big ol mess representing the lands you are about to go to.
  • The Enchanted Oak Tavern would be present but with a different interior as it’s not in an medieval setting.

Jurassic Park
  • Overall the land is pretty identical to Orlando’s; however the scenery (or specifically the greenery) would be emphasized and the land may be longer if Pteranodon Flyers is a ride here (so that the ride isn’t so short).
  • Jurassic Park River Adventure is a hybrid of Orlando (overall ride design; second floor of building) and Hollywood (Falling Jeep, Canopy and entrance, T-Rex at roof).
  • Camp Jurassic and Discovery Center would remain identical to Orlando.
  • I think Japan’s version of Jurassic Outfitters has an animatronic raptor? If so this park steals that.
  • Dino Encounter features a variety of Dinos like Raptors and Triceratops, each week or day focusing on a different set.
  • The restaurant for this is themed to the center of the earth itself.
Egypt Timey Wimey
  • Storyline for the area is that a strange time paradox caused by a meteor caused the various ages of Egypt from various points in time to clash. So you’ll see explorers from the 1930s speaking with royals from the Old Kingdoms while decrepit tombs and grand palaces co-exist. In actuality this is just an excuse to not be specific with what the land should look like.
  • For all the attractions in this land, the various storylines and settings depend on which point of time the attractions are set in.
  • The water ride first takes a trip on the Nile River then descends into a drop. Either it transports guests into a world of mysticism or it takes them back into the Kingdom; a historical tour.
  • Either a haunted house or a Poseidon’s Fury style walk though; the storyline follows: hh1 is set in a museum ransacked with the army of the dead, hh2 is set in the Oasis of Ahm Shere where the Scorpion King and Anubis’s army waits, and hh3 takes guests into the Egyptian Underworld itself.
  • Revenge of the Mummy opened after 2004 in this; and is an original take that doesn’t repeat scenes from the Florida and Hollywood versions. Maybe it’s in a museum, maybe a tomb.
  • The restaurant for this is based in the Egyptian Palace itself. Grand architecture with high ceilings, giant statues lining the walls, exquisite food.
  • An actual museum of sorts would be present here. Either it showcases exotic animals associated with Egypt, actual Egyptian artifacts or props from the Mummy and Scorpion King movies.
  • Stage show either follows an historical storyline like Rome’s conquering of Egypt or a fantastical one like the stories of Sekhmet and Set.
Universal Horror or the Old World
  • Overall land takes you back into the worlds of DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA & THE WOLFMAN. 19th century, villages and dark streets.
  • Castle Dracula is an land in of itself; with either a haunted house or Poseidon’s Fury walkthrough exploring the corridors of the Count’s home and a water ride underneath taking guests down the murky depths as a homage to the defunct Wildwood attraction.
  • Wolfman Woods is a roller coaster down an forest where it simulates you either being chased by a werewolf or as a werewolf yourself prowling the countryside.
  • The Musical Show is set in an opera house and houses either a musical adaptaing THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA or FRANKENSTEIN. Instead of a traditional theme park stage show which is normally a 30 minute show done repeatedly, this one has 30 minutes acts throughout the day; eventually leading to an ending, then it repeats itself until the show really ends.
  • The restaurant is themed on a Classic Monster not showcased in the other attractions (except the Mummy). Or it’s an original place that still is appropriate for the gothic mood for the rest of the event.

Amity Village
  • Overall land and JAWS is identical to the Orlando and Osaka versions.
  • Amity Village Restaurant is the same as Osaka’s.
  • Instead of carnival games though, we get carnival rides here homaging either lesser known or hard to translate IPs like the Blues Brothers.
  • A classic dark ride haunt is themed to Chucky of the Child’s Play series. Brad Dourif reprises his role.
New York
  • Overall land is not a replication of New York like the other parks. Here New York is a war zone with super villains rioting and super heroes fighting and protecting. The vibe wouldn’t be depressing but the architecture would still be gnarled, smashed, and broken.
  • The Amazing Adventures of Apider-Man is identical to the IOA version.
  • Xavier Institute is either a 3-D Movie like Terminator or an actual ride (probably a Top Spinner). Storyline is either the Danger Room has gone berserk, a Sentinel is on a rampage, or Magneto crashes the party.
  • Fantastic Four would be set in the Baxter Building and features a Reed experiment gone wrong.
  • Either King Kong Encounter or Kongfrontation is recreated exactly as they were from the original parks they came from.
  • Same thing with Safari Outfitters with Kong prop. And Finnegan’s.
  • Of course this would be the place of a Marvel comic shop.
  • The Big Apple eatery is either a homage to New York or is set in a LITERAL big apple caused by super powered hijinks. May involve giant insects.

Hill Valley Timey Wimey
  • Once again, the storyline is that weird time shenanigans happened. In actuality, this is to avert the problem with time; so that it stays relevant.
  • Characters like Medieval Knights, Samurai, 80s teenagers coexist and interact.
  • Overall land however is faithful to the version of Hill Valley from 2015.
  • Back to the Future the Rollercoaster uses actual sets for the coaster sequences.
  • E.T. Adventure is set as a spaceship mission and is more technically impressive than the other ones.
  • 3-D Movie may feature JAWS or another film relevant to the lore of BTTF.
  • Cafe 80s recreates the movie’s restaurant but with a bigger arcade and actual waiters (using the movie’s digital ones would be both creepy and impractical).
Currently lacking the passion to write descriptions for each of these, so here’s some more ideas and hypothesizes (not the correct usage of the word here) about this park idea:

• Another land that existed in this since it’s opening day is a land based on Ancient Rome, inspired by the films Spartacus and Gladiator. Guests would go through here right after the Egypt land, considering the historical context. Dunno if this would be anachronistic or not.
  • Super Nintendo World came here first years before Japan and the U.S. parks brought it. Universal tried to bring the Wizarding World to this park multiple times, but it was delayed it multiple times (first because of Nintendo), until Universal finally axed the idea. The Mario ride here would be fast paced here, maybe like Test Track (so far).
Considering rides based on Bloody Mary and SAW but the latter is a Lionsgate property and this park is supposed to mostly focus on Universal’s home-grown properties (sans marvel). To anyone who’s interested, let me know if you think they should be added.

Last edited:
Porting a discussion over here from the Springfield thread. Assume the contract expires, and we lose Springfield in a few years.

Springfield becomes Hawkins, Indiana.

Along with Springfield closing, the Coke location also goes. The entire Simpsons ride building comes down. Part of this space becomes the entrance to the main attraction in the land. The "entrance" includes the Byers house and a fairly thick wooded area that you need to loop through to get to the attraction itself.

Once you loop through the wooded section of the entrance queue, the attraction itself is revealed - Hawkins Lab (built in the sprung tent space). This is done to keep Hawkins Lab out of sight from the main pathways of Hawkins. The remainder of the indoor queue is in Hawkins Lab itself.

The attraction itself might depend on how the show ends - but if we're ignoring that kind of stuff, then the ride would be a fast-paced dark ride (preferably on bike ride vehicles) into the Upside Down. Not entirely sure on a story, but Will is probably just stuck in the Upside Down again lol.

The rest of the space from the Simpsons ride acts as the exit gift shop themed to the Hawkins High school store (the ride will spit you out of the Upside Down into the school).

Duff Gardens becomes the Hideaway Bar.

Bumblebee Man Tacos becomes the Hawkins branch of Surfer Boy Pizza.

Kwik-E-Mart, FFB, AND Animal Actors all close to make way for Starcourt Mall. A multi-level shopping and dining area (yes, Scoops Ahoy will be there).

Porting a discussion over here from the Springfield thread. Assume the contract expires, and we lose Springfield in a few years.

Springfield becomes Hawkins, Indiana.

Along with Springfield closing, the Coke location also goes. The entire Simpsons ride building comes down. Part of this space becomes the entrance to the main attraction in the land. The "entrance" includes the Byers house and a fairly thick wooded area that you need to loop through to get to the attraction itself.

Once you loop through the wooded section of the entrance queue, the attraction itself is revealed - Hawkins Lab (built in the sprung tent space). This is done to keep Hawkins Lab out of sight from the main pathways of Hawkins. The remainder of the indoor queue is in Hawkins Lab itself.

The attraction itself might depend on how the show ends - but if we're ignoring that kind of stuff, then the ride would be a fast-paced dark ride (preferably on bike ride vehicles) into the Upside Down. Not entirely sure on a story, but Will is probably just stuck in the Upside Down again lol.

The rest of the space from the Simpsons ride acts as the exit gift shop themed to the Hawkins High school store (the ride will spit you out of the Upside Down into the school).

Duff Gardens becomes the Hideaway Bar.

Bumblebee Man Tacos becomes the Hawkins branch of Surfer Boy Pizza.

Kwik-E-Mart, FFB, AND Animal Actors all close to make way for Starcourt Mall. A multi-level shopping and dining area (yes, Scoops Ahoy will be there).
I love this. Stranger Things not getting a ride has always surprised me quite a bit. It has a lot of staying power and lends itself well to a theme park ride. Wouldn’t be bad to get even on a larger level partnership with Netflix either.

I love this. Stranger Things not getting a ride has always surprised me quite a bit. It has a lot of staying power and lends itself well to a theme park ride. Wouldn’t be bad to get even on a larger level partnership with Netflix either.
I think the 80s aesthetic/music would fit in really well for a theme park, and will never really go stale.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
I think we have different definitions of staying power. Mine is based on the longevity of a property once it’s completed.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I think we have different definitions of staying power. Mine is based on the longevity of a property once it’s completed.
That is fair, at least during its airing across several seasons it has stayed very strong. The fact the main cast is so young and successful not just in the show, but outside too, will help the shows longevity. Until they truly break into another starting role they’ll always be known for Stranger Things.

Deciding to do this on this forum where I can discuss freely some ideas I came up with. In recent threads the idea of Pokemon taking over Simpsons was kicked around and for logic reasons. SNW is a hit at USH and the fact PF closed at IOA after the Mario Movie smashed all sorts of records has me and others on the forum thinking Universal wants to fast track more Nintendo for the parks. EU has SNW proper, IOA could very well end up getting Zelda, which would leave USF to get Pokemon. With KZ already going to DreamWorks that would leave Springfield and Simpsons as the logical spot it would go as It would probably be wise to leave the area MIB and the now deserted FFL stage unthemed so it could allow for an easy transition incase Uni wanted to use the land with the spring tents for USF expansion down the line. The types of rides I could see fitting into the current Simpsons plot (any replacement would probably expand in the current queue area) would be either the rumored omnimover ride from several years back where you snap photos of Pokemon, or if plans have changed maybe something like Web Slingers. Universal filed a patent recently for some sort of hand tracking system which could be used for you to throw Pokeballs to try to save Pokemon them from being captured by Team Rocket for some nefarious purpose. The ride vehicle will be open unlike Web Slingers so you can have a view of set pieces like the ones in SLOP.

Don't want to continue today on a bad note, so for the sake of posterity, positivity, and gaining a sense of the scope of Universal's expansion, I'm going to post all the projects Universal is rumored to undertake within the next ten years.

2024:
Dreamworks Land (USF)
New Nightime Show (USF)
New Daytime Parade (USF)
Donkey Kong Jungle (USJ)
Detective Conan Theater Show (USJ, T2 Replacement, First Anime Attraction)
Minion Land (USS, opening next year per interview with Chris Meledandri)

2025:
F&F Coaster (USH)
Epic Universe (11 rides, 3 shows, 14 dining locations w/o kiosks)
Universal Horror Unleashed (Area 15 Vegas Attraction)

2026:
Universal Kids Resort (12+ rides, 7 distinct themed areas)
Great Hall Dining Experience (EU)
Super Nintendo World (USS)

2027:
Zelda Land (IOA)

2028:
Simpsons Replacement
LA Olympics USH addition

2030-2032:
Universal Studios Great Britain

Indeterminate Timeline
USJ Spider-Man Replacement
USJ Backdraft Replacement
Nintendo Expansion at EU
Monsters Expansion EU (Possible Creature from the Black Lagoon)

Don't want to continue today on a bad note, so for the sake of posterity, positivity, and gaining a sense of the scope of Universal's expansion, I'm going to post all the projects Universal is rumored to undertake within the next ten years.

2024:
Dreamworks Land (USF)
New Nightime Show (USF)
New Daytime Parade (USF)
Donkey Kong Jungle (USJ)

2025:
F&F Coaster (USH)

2026:

2027:
Zelda Land (IOA)

2028:
Simpsons Replacement
LA Olympics USH addition

2030-2032:

Indeterminate Timeline
Nintendo Expansion at EU
USF needs a lot more attention.

2024:
Dreamworks Land (USF)
New Nightime Show (USF)
New Daytime Parade (USF)
Donkey Kong Jungle (USJ)

2025:
F&F Coaster (USH)

2026:

2027:
Zelda Land (IOA)

2028:
Simpsons Replacement
LA Olympics USH addition

2030-2032:

Indeterminate Timeline
Nintendo Expansion at EU
I'm going to guess a Simpsons replacement will be the 2028 addition to USH. Maybe a land on the lower lot replacing 16-24 and Mummy as well. But I personally think that highly coveted Lower lot expansion won't be until 2030 at the earliest.

Don’t want to spread out speculation talk too much throughout the forums, but feels like a good time to revive this thread a little. Mods if you disagree, send this post elsewhere.

With Epic Universe now about a year away, along with Dreamworks, new parade, and nighttime shows to be announced soon, if you are a die hard Universal fan it’s not that crazy to start looking post Epic Universe.

Some trusted insiders on here lately have been hinting at closures of HRRR, possibly Simpsons, as well as already EU expansions planned and rumored.

Knowing this forum, I assume you’re all gonna throw attention at USF, as I would too. If all were up to me, this is the timeline I’d love to see for the resort for the next several years:

2026: Fast and Furious coaster replaces HRRR, Great Hall dining experience at Epic Universe.

2027: Pokémon land replaces all of Springfield

2028: Luigi’s Mansion expansion at EU, Omnimover shooter ride preferred

2029: VB expansion

2030: Zelda at IOA

That all feels reasonable, beyond that I’d assume Potter expansion at USF or EU will become priority, I’d love a retheme of Toon Lagoon eventually, but outside SpongeBob I’m not sure what would replace that yet.

What do we all think, and what would you do if you had all the control over next few years? Let’s try to keep this conversation big picture, rather than focusing on big or small things we aren’t enjoying about the parks right now.

Reactions: TylerG and TheUniC6
Don’t want to spread out speculation talk too much throughout the forums, but feels like a good time to revive this thread a little. Mods if you disagree, send this post elsewhere.

With Epic Universe now about a year away, along with Dreamworks, new parade, and nighttime shows to be announced soon, if you are a die hard Universal fan it’s not that crazy to start looking post Epic Universe.

Some trusted insiders on here lately have been hinting at closures of HRRR, possibly Simpsons, as well as already EU expansions planned and rumored.

Knowing this forum, I assume you’re all gonna throw attention at USF, as I would too. If all were up to me, this is the timeline I’d love to see for the resort for the next several years:

2026: Fast and Furious coaster replaces HRRR, Great Hall dining experience at Epic Universe.

That all feels reasonable, beyond that I’d assume Potter expansion at USF or EU will become priority, I’d love a retheme of Toon Lagoon eventually, but outside SpongeBob I’m not sure what would replace that yet.

What do we all think, and what would you do if you had all the control over next few years? Let’s try to keep this conversation big picture, rather than focusing on big or small things we aren’t enjoying about the parks right now.
I think that timeline seems reasonable. If you want to go beyond that, Fallon, Supercharged and the entirety of MIB + FF would all be ripe for future expansion as well. Also does anyone know if Transformers has a licensing contract end date like Simpsons? All 3 rides would be pretty old by the 2030s using designs from the early TF movies.

I think waiting until 2030 for a shuttered land to be replaced is too far out. I would do Pokemon after Zelda and Luigi's last.

Reactions: mccgavin