Lionsgate World Resort | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

Lionsgate World Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So a developer with a portfolio of nightclubs and zero attractions/amusement operations experience is lobbying to build an Intamin prototype that's 10 times bigger than anything else he's ever built. Meanwhile across the street the second largest themed entertainment company in the world struggles to keep their observation wheel open. I know we all get distracted by new shiny things, but can we please have an honest conversation of how realistic this project actually is? This smells like Hard Rock Park deja vu

So a developer with a portfolio of nightclubs and zero attractions/amusement operations experience is lobbying to build an Intamin prototype that's 10 times bigger than anything else he's ever built. Meanwhile across the street the second largest themed entertainment company in the world struggles to keep their observation wheel open. I know we all get distracted by new shiny things, but can we please have an honest conversation of how realistic this project actually is? This smells like Hard Rock Park deja vu
I won't disagree that this is slightly sketch but every time I hear the guy he just seems so excited about it that I believe it will happen. Anywho, the Eye and the complex its in are not booming in popularity but aren't struggling either. They get a steady flow of traffic and are profitable.

I know within the meeting the developers said the skyplex wont be seen from anywhere in the parks. But is that true. Has any other person confirmed that? Because if it could be seen from within the WWOHP I would be concerned.

Can anyone post the pic of the flyer sent out by Universal.

Last edited:
According to a website, a 600 foot structure can be seen from 30 miles. Universal is 2 miles away. I would see why they would be concerned.

According to a website, a 600 foot structure can be seen from 30 miles. Universal is 2 miles away. I would see why they would be concerned.
During their original presentation at the beginning of the meeting (the 45 min one), they showed that with the buildings and foliage at Universal it would only be a little visible from MIB's entrance and Seuss Landings Zax by Pass (a.k.a. That shortcut next to the center lagoon).

During their original presentation at the beginning of the meeting (the 45 min one), they showed that with the buildings and foliage at Universal it would only be a little visible from MIB's entrance and Seuss Landings Zax by Pass (a.k.a. That shortcut next to the center lagoon).

But then again, the people saying this are affiliated with the project. Information or evidence gathered by them can be biased or they can hide information. I want someone not affiliated with universal or Skyplex to confirm this. This thing will be seen from volcano bay. I'm for this project but just picture taking a pic of the volcano with this large building in the background.

Universal might have to update their website with this picture to not false advertise their skyline.

Last edited:
I half expect that the Skyplex guy will use this as a bargaining chip and basically force Universal to buy the land if they don't want it built.

Then again, he seems like a pretty successful guy and this isn't just a coaster but a shopping complex, hotel and Mango's nearby. I don't doubt he has the money to do this.

I half expect that the Skyplex guy will use this as a bargaining chip and basically force Universal to buy the land if they don't want it built.

Then again, he seems like a pretty successful guy and this isn't just a coaster but a shopping complex, hotel and Mango's nearby. I don't doubt he has the money to do this.
Really it could just as easily be used against him. If it's looking like the Skyplex thing is actually going to happen and Universal really wants to stop it all they would have to do is leak out a rumor that they are planning to build a 600 foot tall roller coaster on their new property. It would be pretty difficult to keep investors on board to build the worlds 2nd tallest roller coaster.

Really it could just as easily be used against him. If it's looking like the Skyplex thing is actually going to happen and Universal really wants to stop it all they would have to do is leak out a rumor that they are planning to build a 600 foot tall roller coaster on their new property. It would be pretty difficult to keep investors on board to build the worlds 2nd tallest roller coaster.
They can leak out a rumor all they want, but Universal would have to go through the same re-zoning process Skyplex did. It would likely get passed seeing as the precedent has been set, but that's a lot of trouble for Uni to go through if it's just a bluff.

Uni should just announce that they will build one bigger on the new property if they acquire it. They could capitalize on the size &all this publicity. Uni could always cancel later if this guy backs down due to anticipated competition.

But then again, the people saying this are affiliated with the project. Information or evidence gathered by them can be biased or they can hide information. I want someone not affiliated with universal or Skyplex to confirm this. This thing will be seen from volcano bay. I'm for this project but just picture taking a pic of the volcano with this large building in the background.

Universal might have to update their website with this picture to not false advertise their skyline.

This is the biggest exaggeration ever. You'll have to squint to the SkyPlex if anything. Sightlines at the height of the average human is easily blocked by almost anything. Do you know how hard it is sometimes to catch a glimpse of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas itself? That's because there's a crapload of buildings constantly blocking your view. Universal will be fine. Just put a tree or a small building here and there and boom: problem solved.

So if a hypercoaster is a coaster over 200 ft, a gigacoaster is a coaster over 300 ft, and a stratacoaster is over 400ft, what are they going to call this one?

This is the biggest exaggeration ever. You'll have to squint to the SkyPlex if anything. Sightlines at the height of the average human is easily blocked by almost anything. Do you know how hard it is sometimes to catch a glimpse of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas itself? That's because there's a crapload of buildings constantly blocking your view. Universal will be fine. Just put a tree or a small building here and there and boom: problem solved.

I completely agree, they will easily be able to obscure anything they need to.

The Shard in London is 306 m (1,004 ft), Because of the buidlings etc, you only capture glimpses down the streets every now and then and can't see it till the river. (Distance from the office as the crow flies 0.5 miles)

One Canada Sq in Canar Wharf London is 235 metres (771 ft), and again, you can never see it till the river. (Distance from the office as the crow flies 2.5 miles)

Even the London Eye at 135 metres(443 ft) is difficult to see until you get to the banks of the Thames. (Distance from the office as the crow flies 1.8 miles)

I can't see any of the buildings from my work

They can leak out a rumor all they want, but Universal would have to go through the same re-zoning process Skyplex did. It would likely get passed seeing as the precedent has been set, but that's a lot of trouble for Uni to go through if it's just a bluff.
The re-zoning process isn't required for generating rumors. I think we can already see what's happened just based on the news that Universal merely has a contract to buy the big piece of land. All it would take is a Universal representative to talk with some commissioners about "plans" they have for a 600 foot coaster. You don't really need more than a few rumors to get investors to back out. In any case I think Universal has shown there's more than one angle to blocking this with their lawsuit for the storm water runoff thing. I think they probably still have a few tricks up their sleeve. It's not going to be an easy road for Skyplex on many fronts.

I completely agree, they will easily be able to obscure anything they need to.

The Shard in London is 306 m (1,004 ft), Because of the buidlings etc, you only capture glimpses down the streets every now and then and can't see it till the river. (Distance from the office as the crow flies 0.5 miles)

One Canada Sq in Canar Wharf London is 235 metres (771 ft), and again, you can never see it till the river. (Distance from the office as the crow flies 2.5 miles)

Even the London Eye at 135 metres(443 ft) is difficult to see until you get to the banks of the Thames. (Distance from the office as the crow flies 1.8 miles)

I can't see any of the buildings from my work
Good points. And, if I remember my trip to London, it's flat like Orlando. But just a tad cooler. And quite a few less palm trees (except for the botanical gardens):smile:

Reactions: anihilnation
The re-zoning process isn't required for generating rumors. I think we can already see what's happened just based on the news that Universal merely has a contract to buy the big piece of land. All it would take is a Universal representative to talk with some commissioners about "plans" they have for a 600 foot coaster. You don't really need more than a few rumors to get investors to back out. In any case I think Universal has shown there's more than one angle to blocking this with their lawsuit for the storm water runoff thing. I think they probably still have a few tricks up their sleeve. It's not going to be an easy road for Skyplex on many fronts.
Yeah, but if i'm Skyplex, i'm not taking Universal seriously until they file for it and go through the process. That was my point.

I love Universal, it's the reason I'm at this site but some of y'all are just coming off as blinded by Uni Juice as Disney Mom Bloggers are with Pixie Dust wit all this Uin needs to build their own and or threaten it to kill financing. Who will build it. I'm sure Intamin and US Trill Rides have contracts with the Skyplex folks that give them exclusivity and no one else has even proposed a similar type ride. Universal just needs to take care of their business. It was clear when the Skyplex folks joined forces with Unicorn and came out with that masterplan that includes up to 13 hotel towers... oh and a 420 foot Star Flyer next to I DRIVE 360 that there was a lot of support for this from other developers, I'm sure Unicorp sees this as helping their stuff.

I love Universal, it's the reason I'm at this site but some of y'all are just coming off as blinded by Uni Juice as Disney Mom Bloggers are with Pixie Dust wit all this Uin needs to build their own and or threaten it to kill financing.

Can we stop with this ridiculous accusation already? There's a poll right above this thread that shows your claim isn't true.

Good points. And, if I remember my trip to London, it's flat like Orlando. But just a tad cooler. And quite a few less palm trees (except for the botanical gardens):smile:
Yes, central London is fairly flat. Yes the buildings are close together, but that proves you can block out buildings from the site lines if need be.

Once you get out in the open or above other buildings, they will obviously stick out!

IMG_8635 by Jon Ingram, on Flickr

IMG_8510 by Jon Ingram, on Flickr

IMG_8591 by Jon Ingram, on Flickr

Reactions: anihilnation