Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lionsgate World Resort

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It specifically lists the pricing and $59 is what they're considering for an unlimited day pass for just the coaster. But it does also say the coaster will have pricing tiers and promotional offers, so $59 is hopefully the worst-case gate price for people that just show up and don't seek out discounts. It's definitely way too high.

5pmccUQ.png
With that pricing, it looks like they are trying to up sell people into the $89 combo pass just to make a day of it and do everything.

If I was looking to develop a project like this, I'd first get an email address that isn't GMAIL. I also don't know if Intamin would be considered a strategic partner. They are a vendor.

Ive always thought Lionsgate best options for theme parks was to work with Universal.... this may just be proving that right! Not sure this needs its own resort in a city that has many of the same type of offerings. This seems expensive for what we're getting, and again, with other options in the area.

They’re looking to make $148M in revenue off of 2M attending people.

That’s $74 a person. I’m assuming that’s tickets, merchandise, food, parking, everything.

Not only that but it lacks substance. As a stand-alone tower it’d be fine, but junking it up with a motorbike vr arcade simulator and other outdated crap completely devalues it, especially when the two are priced similarly.

We all know how these types of things turn out in the end and it isn’t the direction I-Drive should be going, especially with all the new capital investment and improvements that have been added to make it less junky.

Not only that but it lacks substance. As a stand-alone tower it’d be fine, but junking it up with a motorbike vr arcade simulator and other outdated crap completely devalues it, especially when the two are priced similarly.

We all know how these types of things turn out in the end and it isn’t the direction I-Drive should be going, especially with all the new capital investment and improvements that have been added to make it less junky.
IDK, based on the one in SE Asia it looks like it would be a high quality product. Yeah, some of the IPs are past their prime, but as we always say, as long as the attractions are good, it really doesn't matter. And it looks like it could have some state of the art offerings. While a Star Tours and a Spider-men copy are now old school they are still fun and popular pretty high tech attractions. It also looks like they have a Pandora's Box type ride system in there. That would be unique to the market. It also, with the exceptions of the thrill rides on the tower, is all indoors. Great for either rainy, nuclear hot, or cold days.

Here is a look at the aesthetic tone of the one in SE Asia.

And here is an overall promo.

All that said, this plan was obviously pre-COVID, so we'll see if anything becomes of this.

I agree this seems better suited as a weenie to drive attendance to bars and restaurants (like the Icon) rather than the centerpiece of a park bound to look cheap next to the in-town competition. The prospectus seems to recognize their main competition will be the Starflyer, Fun Spot and D&B, but the pricing is Sea World level, bordering on WDW/Uni multi-day ticket levels.

Also, it's red apples to green apples, but Deezerland sits a couple miles up the street, fenced in and unopen. I-Drive a tough market to crack in the best of times. This property is counting on a resurgence in convention business in 2024 - 2025 which may or may not come to pass.

I think you guys are underestimating what these attractions are. They are state of the art tech from top tier companies. CAVU Designwerks, Thinkwell, Dreamcraft Attractions, Framestore and ETF along with Lionsgate writers and composers worked on these attractions. It's not just a cool motorcycle VR it is the world's first multiplayer, interactive, real time rendered motorcycle VR. Here is a good article from when Lionsgate Entertainment World opened last year.

I don't think they are only aiming to take on Fun Spot, D&B, and ICON Park. You don't put in Spider-man level attractions to take on Fun Spot. And I don't really think $44 for everything but the coaster is a bad price.

Last edited:
T
I think you guys are underestimating what these attractions are. They are state of the art tech from top tier companies. CAVU Designwerks, Thinkwell, Dreamcraft Attractions, Framestore and ETF along with Lionsgate writers and composers worked on these attractions. It's not just a cool motorcycle VR it is the world's first multiplayer, interactive, real time rendered motorcycle VR. Here is a good article from when Lionsgate Entertainment World opened last year.

I don't think they are only aiming to take on Fun Spot, D&B, and ICON Park. You don't put in Spider-man level attractions to take on Fun Spot. And I don't really think $44 for everything but the coaster is a bad price.
This line of thinking may be how we look at things, but looking at this and the other rides, this feels like a wanna be #3 to Universal/Disney. To me, they're trying to compete more with Seaworld in terms of offerings and hotel accommodations and pricing. Not less than that based on the tech we're seeing but also not more. They clearly want to make their mark here. Im not sure any of these ideas are appealing to me from a non local perpsepcitve but I can see/understand their approach more after getting more into this than I did the other day.

The overall issue is the number of vacation days is a finite resource. Is something like this going to be able to snag days away from the Globe and the Mouse? Not to mention SeaWorld, an already entrenched third wheel? I seriously doubt it.

While true, it's also banking on UOR pricing out a demographic AND an expanding market.

I do think Lionsgate's IP portfolio is weak at best for theme park applications. Are Twilight and Hunger Games even remotely still a thing in pop culture?
The actors are, but not the series themselves. They were a "moment in time" type phenomenon I feel that launched several careers.

While true, it's also banking on UOR pricing out a demographic AND an expanding market.
Thats an interesting strategy, I don't see UOR pricing out though. If anything its their prices that have made me fully team UOR as an adult for just so many reasons. They've invested heavily into value resorts, maybe I'm being hopeful but Id like to think Universal knows their pricing demo's and wouldn't ever budge from that for fear of losing part of that market share back. The last thing Id think they want is a price even remotely comparable to Disney, so if Im gonna be spending a F ton of $$$, may as well go the WDW which has more parks and dining options and maybe spend one night at Lionsgate. Idk, interesting strategy. If this opened in 2018 (taking Covid out of the situation), I think it would've been a bigger hit for the area but regardless of Post Covid, they're sooooo many other projects that standout over this, even if its better than expected.