Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lionsgate World Resort

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think you guys are underestimating what these attractions are. They are state of the art tech from top tier companies. CAVU Designwerks, Thinkwell, Dreamcraft Attractions, Framestore and ETF along with Lionsgate writers and composers worked on these attractions. It's not just a cool motorcycle VR it is the world's first multiplayer, interactive, real time rendered motorcycle VR. Here is a good article from when Lionsgate Entertainment World opened last year.

I don't think they are only aiming to take on Fun Spot, D&B, and ICON Park. You don't put in Spider-man level attractions to take on Fun Spot. And I don't really think $44 for everything but the coaster is a bad price.

But those names mean nothing to the average Orlando visitor. This being positioned on a corner of I-Drive will inform their impression. This is going after OCCC business.

Thats an interesting strategy, I don't see UOR pricing out though. If anything its their prices that have made me fully team UOR as an adult for just so many reasons. They've invested heavily into value resorts, maybe I'm being hopeful but Id like to think Universal knows their pricing demo's and wouldn't ever budge from that for fear of losing part of that market share back. The last thing Id think they want is a price even remotely comparable to Disney, so if Im gonna be spending a F ton of $$$, may as well go the WDW which has more parks and dining options and maybe spend one night at Lionsgate. Idk, interesting strategy. If this opened in 2018 (taking Covid out of the situation), I think it would've been a bigger hit for the area but regardless of Post Covid, they're sooooo many other projects that standout over this, even if its better than expected.

Pricing out I mean day tickets. Note their market research talking points, they see a certain tourism demo that would come to FL for "other" activities outside of WDW and UOR, mostly those who keep free open days, stay on I Drive, Intl tourism, etc.

The actors are, but not the series themselves. They were a "moment in time" type phenomenon I feel that launched several careers.

Thats an interesting strategy, I don't see UOR pricing out though. If anything its their prices that have made me fully team UOR as an adult for just so many reasons. They've invested heavily into value resorts, maybe I'm being hopeful but Id like to think Universal knows their pricing demo's and wouldn't ever budge from that for fear of losing part of that market share back. The last thing Id think they want is a price even remotely comparable to Disney, so if Im gonna be spending a F ton of $$$, may as well go the WDW which has more parks and dining options and maybe spend one night at Lionsgate. Idk, interesting strategy. If this opened in 2018 (taking Covid out of the situation), I think it would've been a bigger hit for the area but regardless of Post Covid, they're sooooo many other projects that standout over this, even if its better than expected.
As it is, including taxes and food, Universal is a $1,000 day for a family of 4 if they get a 1 day park to park.

Hi everyone, long time no speak ...or post?

Anyways, spoke to the developer and here's the gist ... Best to know that while the leak is true, it's in no way solid in terms of timeline any more. Covid upended a lot ... not just Skyplex, but all sorts of projects across the region.

Long story short: There were a lot of discussions and presentations on Skyplex underway before Covid-19 and the pandemic pretty much derailed any incentive to invest big right now. The pitch was floating around in the investment market scene before Covid happened, and now it's paused as the developer concentrates on the health of their other businesses. Only time will tell if it gets back on track later.

That's all!

(Edited to clarify some stuff.)

Last edited:
Mildly intrigued by this, if not for having the presence of another studio and some interesting new IPs. I always wondered if a Paramount Park had made it's way down to Central Florida if it's theming might still be intact.

As it is, including taxes and food, Universal is a $1,000 day for a family of 4 if they get a 1 day park to park.

No offense here, but I always hate hearing this logic. That’s assuming one parent is paying for the everything. It’s an average cost of $250 per family member and $500 per parent.

Yeah, that's not how I see this. The city is trying to push those businesses away at the moment, so it makes sense that they are moving out while they're still in the city's good graces. The money from selling the property could cover a significant amount of the capital for Skyplex. Not to mention, the Orlando club does pretty well.

Yeah, that's not how I see this. The city is trying to push those businesses away at the moment, so it makes sense that they are moving out while they're still in the city's good graces. The money from selling the property could cover a significant amount of the capital for Skyplex. Not to mention, the Orlando club does pretty well.
I actually agree here. Them selling their Miami properties in no way tells me this isn’t happening.

No offense here, but I always hate hearing this logic. That’s assuming one parent is paying for the everything. It’s an average cost of $250 per family member and $500 per parent.
Trying to find a polite way to word this, but do you have a family with children? In my household, and every household I know of, that isn’t really how finances work. It’s still a $1000 day no matter how you slice it or dice it. It’s actually the reason why I had a lot of visiting friends and family (back when I lived in Orlando) not visit Universal too often. They viewed the parks as something that had to be bundled (largely thanks to HE) and they couldn’t always afford to drop the full $800+ on tickets, so we’d usually end up at one SeaWorld or a Disney Park for the day.

(While I personally disagree with the logic, and think IOA is a solid one day park, I had this happen on three separate occasions with different groups)

Trying to find a polite way to word this, but do you have a family with children? In my household, and every household I know of, that isn’t really how finances work. It’s still a $1000 day no matter how you slice it or dice it. It’s actually the reason why I had a lot of visiting friends and family (back when I lived in Orlando) not visit Universal too often. They viewed the parks as something that had to be bundled (largely thanks to HE) and they couldn’t always afford to drop the full $800+ on tickets, so we’d usually end up at one SeaWorld or a Disney Park for the day.

(While I personally disagree with the logic, and think IOA is a solid one day park, I had this happen on three separate occasions with different groups)

No I do not, but it doesn’t change the average cost unless it’s one person paying or budgeting for everything. That’s all I wanted to point out - it’s not one giant expenditure, it’s an average per person.

No I do not, but it doesn’t change the average cost unless it’s one person paying or budgeting for everything. That’s all I wanted to point out - it’s not one giant expenditure, it’s an average per person.
But average per person does not show up on your bank statement. If you are a family of 4, like mentioned above....its $1000. Arbitrarily saying in your head "huh, its only $250 per person", does not magically magic $1000 less than $1000. If you think $1000 is a lot of money, but say that its $250 per person and that suddenly makes it feel less expensive.....I will not make a further comment on what kind of person you are.

TL;DR $1000 is $1000 no matter what.

Average cost is average cost and it makes sense to view at a per person level, but I would still see it as 1K for the family. When it comes time to buy passes/APs, they are all purchased together. The bill at the table comes to one person. Sure, a family may give their children some spending money or a set budget, but at the end of the day, I bet one person is paying most of the expenses so the spending is truly not split amongst four folks.