Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Little Known Hotel Perks

Trick? I know of no magic in these parts?!?
As in slipping a $20 to the front desk clerk? Works in Vegas but not so much in Orlando.

It worked for me in Vegas last year. $50 tip at the front desk in the Cosmopolitan resulted in a 6 night upgraded room at a $100 a night value plus a free dinner buffet at the Wicked Spoon for 2, not bad at all.

I wouldn't have thought it would work in Orlando, I'm tempted to try but don't want to embarrass myself.

It worked for me in Vegas last year. $50 tip at the front desk in the Cosmopolitan resulted in a 6 night upgraded room at a $100 a night value plus a free dinner buffet at the Wicked Spoon for 2, not bad at all.

I wouldn't have thought it would work in Orlando, I'm tempted to try but don't want to embarrass myself.

Just say it's a Scottish thing and mutter something unintelligible.

Would anybody recommend staying at the Swan and Dolphin? There's a relatively good price for a week just now.
I believe they charge Resort & Parking fees. So you'll need to add that to the cost to get the true price. They're not Disney owned hotels. But I believe they now have 60 day fastpass privileges, added a few months ago.

I believe they charge Resort & Parking fees. So you'll need to add that to the cost to get the true price. They're not Disney owned hotels. But I believe they now have 60 day fastpass privileges, added a few months ago.

The parking charge is the same as the parks so I’m taking that as cancelling each other out. The resort fee is £133 and the exchange rate has been going up so it’s not too bad all in.

I want to stay on site and all in this hotel is working out about the same as the cheapest Disney hotels but the location is obviously far superior. The FP+ privileges is the big selling point for me. I’m thinking that TSL and Avatar will still be a nightmare in September.

Do S&D get all the same perks as the Dis on site hotels?

Do S&D get all the same perks as the Dis on site hotels?

The only perk I don’t see is Magic Bands. You can still park for free at the parks, have your shopping delivered to your room, transportation and advanced dining and FP+ reservations.

The parking charge is the same as the parks so I’m taking that as cancelling each other out. The resort fee is £133 and the exchange rate has been going up so it’s not too bad all in.

I want to stay on site and all in this hotel is working out about the same as the cheapest Disney hotels but the location is obviously far superior. The FP+ privileges is the big selling point for me. I’m thinking that TSL and Avatar will still be a nightmare in September.
They're a big upgrade from the tacky Disney Value hotels, so it sounds like it's worth it if the total package price is OK. Great location. You can walk to Epcot/DHS or take the very slow boats.

SD is in a great location! I’ve enjoyed stays i’ve had there and I also felt their rates are better than similar rooms at Disney hotels.

Easy walk to EPCOT you enter in the countries so it is easy access to many Restaurants at night...toss in what is over at Boardwalk, B&Y, not to mention the hotel itself. It really is a good choice if you want to be in that area!

My friend from England always stays at Swan. She has done a May trip for many years and swears it is the best value. Well she swears a lot but does like staying there...

Swan and Dolphin are pretty nice, we've stayed at them several times. They do feel different than the Disney hotels but that may not necessarily be a bad thing. They were getting refurbed a year or two ago which is good because some of the rooms were getting to be a little rough.

All the perks are pretty much the same now since they are charging for parking at the Disney resorts, but the real big win that several have brought up is the location is great. Being able to walk to Epcot is pretty awesome, the walk to Hollywood Studios is a bit of a hike though.

I’ve forgotten to mention that they added a music loop to the water taxis. There are not that many songs on it. Anyway, for the older folks around here, you don’t have to stay at one of the hotels to take the taxi, but some may consider it a perk to hear ‘Rock the Boat’ while traversing the waterway.