Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mako - 2016 SeaWorld Coaster

It looks like a fun coaster, sure, but the theming is very light and the shark exibit will be the same old little tank in comparison what other ocean parks offer.
Is this going to get the turnstyles turning? How many of the family's that visit Orlando are going to visit the park because of this?
I'd rather Sea World would get better at theming like this:
oceankingdom06.jpg

Chimelong-Ocean-Kingdom-03_M.jpg

Is a Disney-style dark ride going to get the turnstiles turning? You need to consider the competition...what can SeaWorld offer that Disney and Universal can't offer a better version of? The biggest roller coaster in Florida. Is it gonna make people fly across the country? No. But it'll pique the interest of nearby guests, and honestly not only is that all they'll need to recoup their investment (a roller coaster is cheaper than a Transformers or King Kong) but it's all they need to turn their attention away from Blackfish. Not everyone can be or wants to be number 1 in the market. They'll win their own smaller battles with this ride.

Interesting, no mid course brake run so only two train operations. It really is a smaller version of Nitro in many aspects, so it should be fast and fun!

There's totally a MCBR right in the middle of this thing. Honestly this looks like something straight up out of 2002. But thats ok, SeaWorld Orlando really needs to beef up their roster with rides that are exactly like this.

I think this is going to be an excellent ride. Nice smooth extended airtime with music. While it won't be a "white knuckler", it would be a heck of a lot of fun.

^ I hate to burst your bubble but this ride DOES NOT have on-board audio. When they mention the audio you need to think more along the lines of Manta. Mako actually has quite a few budget cuts in terms of design and function, so on-board audio has never been part of the final product. Here's what Mako is getting:

1. Original BGM for the realm
2. Station sound effects
3. Segue music that goes up the first part of the lift
4. Sound effects that follow the coaster when it's doing the twisting section in the realm.
5. A change of BGM everytime a train gets near the realm.

^ I hate to burst your bubble but this ride DOES NOT have on-board audio. When they mention the audio you need to think more along the lines of Manta. Mako actually has quite a few budget cuts in terms of design and function, so on-board audio has never been part of the final product. Here's what Mako is getting:

1. Original BGM for the realm
2. Station sound effects
3. Segue music that goes up the first part of the lift
4. Sound effects that follow the coaster when it's doing the twisting section in the realm.
5. A change of BGM everytime a train gets near the realm.
Oh, OK. More like Space Mountain.

Less excited.

Yeah sorry about that. But you should still be excited because just like how Manta has its iconic splash, Mako's big guest interaction is going to be created using sound. Although it doesn't seem like much on paper, in practice I think it's actually going to be pretty stellar.

The sad thing is most Florida theme park goers have never experienced a hyper. I've been on just a few in my lifetime before moving down to Tampa. Bizarro at Six Flags New England and one or two that I can't remember at Six Flags New Jersey.

The last time I was on a hyper was in 2004. All i've had for thrills are what Busch and Sea World provide me lately.

I've had to hold back as I was at Cedar Point this weekend!

Can't wait for this. I been saying for awhile that SeaWorld needs more rides. To top it off we finally get a Hyper in Florida. I don't have to go to Six Flags in Atlanta to ride one lol. Now SeaWorld just needs to redo Wild Artic and add about two or three more rides and they'll be good!!

I've lived in florida my whole life and went to seaworld once when I when I was around 6ish when they were constructing Atlantis. This coaster will be the one to make me go and probably get an annual pass for this coaster. Florida needs hyper and gigas.

AGREED. Glad SeaWorld is taking the plunge. :)lol:)

Can't wait for this. I been saying for awhile that SeaWorld needs more rides. To top it off we finally get a Hyper in Florida. I don't have to go to Six Flags in Atlanta to ride one lol. Now SeaWorld just needs to redo Wild Artic and add about two or three more rides and they'll be good!!

Very true..I've never understood why they never invested in attractions/coasters like BGT

It very well could be the new game plan. With the Blackfish backlash, they really need to diversify and get that audience. I've also wondered if SeaWorld will make their backstage tours a little more lucrative, so people can see firsthand how well the animals are actually treated.

Manta is the gold standard of SeaWorld attractions, combining a thrilling ride with animal encounters. If SeaWorld can do this with just a few more attractions, they will get the public's attention, show their commitment to conservation and quality animal care, and be more respected in the public light.

But seriously, screw PETA :lol:

Cedar Point and Carowinds are the two "Coaster Parks" I really want to find time to get out and see within the next few years. SW and Busch are nice, but I need a REAL thrills vacation :lol:

I would also add Six Flags Magic Mountain to your list if you have not been there. If you went West Coast you could make a nice trip for yourself between SFMM, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Hollywood, and Disneyland Resort.

Interesting, no mid course brake run so only two train operations. It really is a smaller version of Nitro in many aspects, so it should be fast and fun!

Actually there is a MCBR. Also it does not need one to run 3 trains. Fury 325 @ Carowinds does not have one and runs 3 trains. Mind you that's considered giga, but the manufacturer lists it as the same type coaster as the other hypers...it's just taller. It would only need a longer brake run at the end to provide the extra block.
f9e4d4241486471f92a3fea2c1a855c6_mako2_780x438.jpg

Last edited:
I would also add Six Flags Magic Mountain to your list if you have not been there. If you went West Coast you could make a nice trip for yourself between SFMM, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Hollywood, and Disneyland Resort.
I have not. The only time i've been out west I did Disneyland and USH. It was between USH and SFMM and I just decided on USH because I had comp tickets at the time and Magic Mountain is farther out in Valencia and I didn't have a car. It was a pretty quick trip too so I was trying to squeeze a lot in in a short time.

not to be a party pooper, but I've been waiting for a Hyper Coaster to come to Florida ever since I rode Millenmium Force back in 2002. When one finally comes, it comes to Sea World? My wife won't step foot in that park for "reasons", and to be honest I'm not crazy about going there either. I'm just kinda pissed that out of all the parks, this is the one that gets a hyper coaster.

not to be a party pooper, but I've been waiting for a Hyper Coaster to come to Florida ever since I rode Millenmium Force back in 2002. When one finally comes, it comes to Sea World? My wife won't step foot in that park for "reasons", and to be honest I'm not crazy about going there either. I'm just kinda pissed that out of all the parks, this is the one that gets a hyper coaster.

Universal probably isn't doing another big coaster until the third gate, this isn't Disney's territory, and Busch Gardens already has a bunch of coasters. SeaWorld was the logical place to put this IMO.

yeah I hear you. Was hoping they would tear out Doom Drop and put up a coaster.

I was actually expecting Bush Gardens would be the first park in FL to have a hyper.