Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mardi Gras 2019

Tbh, Epcot isn't even putting on many 70s/80s acts anymore outside of Flower/Garden and even then, Flower & Garden has gotten more modern with 90's and 00's acts. Well, i'll give you 80's, but for the most part, the 70's aren't represented.

Yeah, goes with the market aging. And the artists dying off.

Yeah, goes with the market aging. And the artists dying off.
Well yeah. But as I said, Epcot's Festivals are popular enough on their own and the American Gardens Theater isn't all that big. So Disney only needs those has been's that carry nostalgia to make people have a good time.

The best thing that's been done on that stage in recent memory though is that Guardians show, though.

On our podcast, one of our recommendations after last year's event was to turn this event into their own version of Food & Wine. Last year, the Courtyard was pretty hellacious with crowds. I was hoping they'd expand out since Mardi Gras is celebrated throughout the world, not just down in the bayou. Brazil has their Carnaval, Italy has their own, and a few other countries have their own take on it.

Either way, I hope they added a few more tents and spread the area a little more out.

This is a legitimately impressive lineup. Macklemore's a big get, and while Pitbull may be a bit tired at this point, he's a huge draw.
Macklemore was here last year as well, so they already had a relationship together and he seemed to really enjoy performing at Universal last year. Talked about riding the rides during the concert, etc.

On our podcast, one of our recommendations after last year's event was to turn this event into their own version of Food & Wine. Last year, the Courtyard was pretty hellacious with crowds. I was hoping they'd expand out since Mardi Gras is celebrated throughout the world, not just down in the bayou. Brazil has their Carnaval, Italy has their own, and a few other countries have their own take on it.

Either way, I hope they added a few more tents and spread the area a little more out.
The problem is it's meant to be a recreation of NO in a way. Universal actually goes down to New Orleans to look at their floats to make sure what they build at USF is authentic.

That's not a problem. They can still predominantly celebrate the New Orleans version while also mentioning "Hey, this exists too!"
True. They could extend the tents all the way down the street leading towards the Transformers entrance. I would suggest they add some over by Central park too, but I know that Universal wants to keep the party towards the park entrance.

Well yeah. But as I said, Epcot's Festivals are popular enough on their own and the American Gardens Theater isn't all that big. So Disney only needs those has been's that carry nostalgia to make people have a good time.

The best thing that's been done on that stage in recent memory though is that Guardians show, though.
Living Colour was legit the best show I've seen in at least ten years

Maybe Run The Jewels is one of those TBAs.
That would make it entirely worth going.

Okay, here's a question: insanely talented pop acts are sprouting up like rabbits these days: Sigrid, Ava Max, Billie Eilish, et al., alongside newer but not completely new acts like Marina (and the Diamonds) and Charli XCX. Why not add them in, or even roll them up into one night? I guarantee there'd be interest.

That would make it entirely worth going.

Okay, here's a question: insanely talented pop acts are sprouting up like rabbits these days: Sigrid, Ava Max, Billie Eilish, et al., alongside newer but not completely new acts like Marina (and the Diamonds) and Charli XCX. Why not add them in, or even roll them up into one night? I guarantee there'd be interest.

I must be getting old. Literally have never heard of any of these.

Didn't even bother with HHN pins, but I really, really like this one. Perfect AP give-away.

The sweet spot seems to be three songs that were hits at least within genre. Unlike EPCOT, Universal seems to eschew one-hit wonders, because this is a full hour to 90 minute show. Also remember they want fans old enough to buy $12 drinks--the acts are always going to skew a little bit older, more for young 30s than teens.

I’ll throw a little wild card out there too - Pentatonix.

They overpacked Busch Gardens’ 10,000 capacity concert yard twice in a two year period in 2014 and 2015, they have a huge fan base and they offer something completely different from everyone else on the list. Also, their touring schedule is open.

I’ll throw a little wild card out there too - Pentatonix.

They overpacked Busch Gardens’ 10,000 capacity concert twice in a two year period in 2014 and 2015, they have a huge fan base and they offer something completely different from everyone else on the list.
Not saying I'd see them, but totally.

Y’all don’t sleep on NF either. I know he’s only big on mainstream radio for two songs right now, but he’s gaining massive popularity quickly.

I’m highly impressed by the lineup and if I were still a local/APH, I would make several trips.