Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

I will never forgive this ride for not being in Animation Courtyard. Totally unnecessary to put this in GMR, as much as the ride was on life support as is. Some of the effects could be fun. But they're really limiting the benefits to DHS with its placement.

Also seems like a missed opportunity to not have Mickey go through different generic eras of cinema, and tell it through the eyes of the Fab 5.

My two biggest gripes are placement and art style. I hate the new Mickey animation style with a passion, so I'm sad they went with what's "hip" instead of what's timeless. I'm disappointed in the location because this would have been such a good way to revive Animation Courtyard, and I've always thought a Mickey-focused ride through the eras of Disney animation would be amazing. This, however...ugh. The ideas for the ride as an attraction without any specific theme are great, I love the ideas, but the theme (particularly its art style) and placement I hate. At least it sounds like they're not going to screw with the Chinese Theater facade, so there is that.

I agree to the general grievances. I love that we're getting a Mickey ride, but if it's going into the Chinese theatre at the center of the park, I would've thought it'd be styled like a classic Mickey short. I really do hate this new animation style :lol: It's so strange to me that they'd use that style, when Mickey doesn't look like that anywhere else in the resort. And I can't imagine this stylization will last very long. From what I've seen, they haven't used it anywhere other than the Disney Channel shorts (and likely a few pieces of merch). If this will never be the "official" Mickey Mouse, why use it for such a prominent attraction? Definitely agree that there were some missed opportunities there.

That being said, I am incredibly, incredibly intrigued by this ride and what it will entail.

There was a rumor floating around that they were originally going to put this in DCA as well. Well, it doesn't sound like we're getting it over here. I wonder if that's because TDA saw it and was like, "Nah, bro we're good. We don't want this."

If this whole ride is all digital mapping that what a wasted opportunity. This sounds like a very rushed replacement for GMR. I hope I'm wrong.

There was a rumor floating around that they were originally going to put this in DCA as well. Well, it doesn't sound like we're getting it over here. I wonder if that's because TDA saw it and was like, "Nah, bro we're good. We don't want this."

It was in the works for DCA. Still is to an extent. The issue is that this ride was going to be located where the current transportation hub is. Because the city of Anaheim is fighting Disney on building the new structure and bridge, the space will not be available when they need it.

It was in the works for DCA. Still is to an extent. The issue is that this ride was going to be located where the current transportation hub is. Because the city of Anaheim is fighting Disney on building the new structure and bridge, the space will not be available when they need it.
I would like to get this ride despite the fact that it could be a hit or miss. Hopefully Disney wins.

IMG_8471.JPG

So is this a 'screens' ride like TSMM (likely with usual wind, water, heat - runaway train)? TSMM is excellent in my view.

Seems really unecessary to replace GMR ride - it's classic content and central location made DHS still feel like a classic retro Studios park (in a good way), though perhaps that is another reason why GMR is being replaced?

Last edited:
I'm one hundred percent ready for this. I love the style of the new shorts, so I may be biased.

are we assuming this is all being done inside the current structure? Is it using the same ride system?
Same building, new ride system.

Trackless maybe.
This

Why did Disney spend time replacing the audio and scripts for GMR, what 2 years ago? If TCM paid for that then it must of been a short spondership deal. Seems this was not planned for long at least.
Disney paid TCM to terminate the sponsorship. it was supposed to last through the end of 2018.

Based on the test mockup video they showed, I'm expecting extremely minimal sets (if that) and no animatronics.

I hope that's incorrect, because my interest in the project is waning.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Of course if you loved GMR, this may never do it for you, but it should be a fairly long ride by today's standards (As @AliciaStella said, 8 minutes is the rumor)

This ride would be excellent if:

A) it were the anchor for an classic animation area
B) replacing Star Wars Launch Bay and the surrounding sections
C) showed Mickey and Minnie journeying through various shorts to get to their movie premiere (Runaway Railway) - Plane Crazy/Steamboat Willie/The Skeleton Dance/Flowers and Trees/The Three Little Pigs/Lonesome Ghosts/The Old Mill/The Brave Little Tailor would all be great and take riders on a journey through Walt and co's first 10-15 years of Disney animation.

Since it's replacing GMR and seems like a stopgap so the park isn't completely swamped by SWGE visitors and people disinterested in riding GMR regardless of the short wait (5-15 min), I'd say it's my least favorite announcement for WDW.

At least GotG should be fun and technically increase capacity since hardly anyone rode Ellen the past 10-12 years.

There is a reason this isn't going in the Animation Courtyard.

I can't help but laugh at most of the responses here. Ever since TSL was announced, everyone has been whining about flat rides and lamenting the lack of a family friendly dark ride. Then they announce one and more whining.

Calling it now, sleeper hit. Like Fallon, in that the GP is going to absolutely love it. "Real Fans" are going to complain about the art style, Screenz, and the loss of a sad, irrelevant/outdated and somewhat boring ride.

Last edited:

I can't help but laugh at most of the responses here. Ever since TSL was announced, everyone has been whining about flat rides and lamenting the lack of a family friendly dark ride. Then they announce one and more whining.

Calling it now, sleeper hit. Like Fallon, in that the GP is going absolutely love it. "Real Fans" are complain about the art style, Screenz, and the loss of a sad, irrelevant, outdated and somewhat boring ride.
I'll miss GMR in a "I can never ride it again" way, but other than that, I totally agree with you. I don't even think it should have to be a sleeper, from what i know, it should just be a hit.

I'll miss GMR in a "I can never ride it again" way, but other than that, I totally agree with you. I don't even think it should have to be a sleeper, from what i know, it should just be a hit.
If I really start missing the GMR, I'll have one of my daughters push me through Madame Tussaud's in my Mom's wheelchair. And with it being on I-Drive, there could even be an actual robbery scene.

And honestly, a Mickey ride that would've basically been the GMR: Mickey edition would've been the most boring thing. You guys do realize that Mickey hasn't been getting many gigs lately, right? Since Fantasia he's been on a real dry spell...

I like that they were actually original when coming up with the ride.

Calling it now, sleeper hit. Like Fallon, in that the GP is going to absolutely love it. "Real Fans" are going to complain about the art style, Screenz, and the loss of a sad, irrelevant/outdated and somewhat boring ride.

I take it you're suggesting the constantly rumored connection to Sunset? Yeah, no. That would require a ton of logistical and infrastructure changes that I expect they would have started on already if it has any chance at moving beyond rumor. Maybe in the distant future, but not in the next 10-15 years at least from the look of things.

And sorry, but the art style is horrible. I've never liked anything drawn in that style. Yes, this is subjective, but for me its a legit gripe. Honestly, I love the ideas for the attraction and think they'll make for a fun experience, but I just can't get over the art style.