Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey's Philharmagic (DCA)

Although I prefer the MK version, this version is still really good for what it is. My only small gripe is I wish they did something about the random black space on top of the screen.

I accept the screen now because of a moving duck butt.

July 17th for DCA and DLP.. "Later this year" for MK.

For us Coco fans... hey it's SOMETHING.

This not replacing any scenes is a huge plus for this type of show.

I'm curious what made them choose Coco for the new scene over something traditionally Disney. But good on them for more Coco representation.

Just don't forget about that Coco boat ride in the future.

EDIT: Also wasn't the rumor at one point that the attraction would receive a complete refresh, replacing some of the Renaissance Disney scenes with new scenes from Frozen, Tangled, and Moana?

Last edited:
Excited to see how this is incorporated, but I do think it's going to be jarring to see the Coco's segment presumably crisp and stunning animation next to the aging outputs in the other sequences...

Now if only we could get a proper iteration of the show in DCA. The presentation is pretty awful.

Excited to see how this is incorporated, but I do think it's going to be jarring to see the Coco's segment presumably crisp and stunning animation next to the aging outputs in the other sequences...

Now if only we could get a proper iteration of the show in DCA. The presentation is pretty awful.
Well, I wouldn’t say it’s awful. DLP’s presentation is awful. No, actually it’s freaking awful. It repurposes the Honey I Shrunk the Audience theater! At least DCA’s is tolerable IMO.

But yeah, it’s a nice addition to the show. The great thing about PhilharMagic’s premise is that it’s flexible for completely new scenes.

So as someone whose major partially includes marketing, my mind is thinking WDW are fools if they don’t take advantage of Tron and GotG being pushed back by doing a staggered marketing plan for the 50th instead of all at once.

They already sort of are if you think about it. It could go like this. It would be like little little presents sprinkled throughout the anniversary.
  • Updated Jungle Cruise
  • Disney Enchantment 50th fireworks show
  • Harmonious
  • DAK kite show
  • Ratatouille
  • Updated Philharmagic
  • Tron

So as someone whose major partially includes marketing, my mind is thinking WDW are fools if they don’t take advantage of Tron and GotG being pushed back by doing a staggered marketing plan for the 50th instead of all at once.

They already sort of are if you think about it. It could go like this. It would be like little little presents sprinkled throughout the anniversary.
  • Updated Jungle Cruise
  • Disney Enchantment 50th fireworks show
  • Harmonious
  • DAK kite show
  • Ratatouille
  • Updated Philharmagic
  • Tron

I think that's what they were going to do to begin with then *waves arms* everything happened so it just pushed even more into that plan.

Haven't we pretty reliably heard that TRON and Cosmic Rewind were supposed to be open by the 50th before things changed?

The connected folks over on Magic certainly think that was the plan prior to March of 2020.

Haven't we pretty reliably heard that TRON and Cosmic Rewind were supposed to be open by the 50th before things changed?

The connected folks over on Magic certainly think that was the plan prior to March of 2020.
TRON was for sure, not sure about GotG.

Based on rumors, Disney wants GotG to be the first new attraction after the 50th celebration is over, which means we’re probably looking at Spring-ish 2023. Ellen’s Energy Adventure closed in August 2017.

TRON was for sure, not sure about GotG.

Based on rumors, Disney wants GotG to be the first new attraction after the 50th celebration is over, which means we’re probably looking at Spring-ish 2023. Ellen’s Energy Adventure closed in August 2017.
So you’re telling me it’s going to take Disney six years to build an indoor coaster in a black box that’s mostly screens?

Brooooooooooooo

So you’re telling me it’s going to take Disney six years to build an indoor coaster in a black box that’s mostly screens?

Brooooooooooooo
I remember the 2017 D23 Expo theme park announcements and we were all blown away and thought it was too good to be true and, well, looks like it was.

The 2022 D23 Expo better give us something to look forward to beyond GotG.

Brooooooooooooo
But it's the world's first storytelling coaster!

Or something.

I remember the 2017 D23 Expo theme park announcements and we were all blown away
Speak for yourself! ;)

The demise of The Great Movie Ride and the announcement of the full thematic deconstruction of Epcot mark that as a quite dark day in the Belloq household!

Anyway, on the brighter side, I'm all in favor of this addition to PhilharMagic!

Speak for yourself! ;)

The demise of The Great Movie Ride and the announcement of the full thematic deconstruction of Epcot mark that as a quite dark day in the Belloq household!

Anyway, on the brighter side, I'm all in favor of this addition to PhilharMagic!
The fact that they were planning to do so many high-profile projects and planned to have them all done by 2021 is more what I meant. I mean, these were just the highlights from the announcement, there were many other things that would've been a highlight in 2019 for example.

Ratatouille, Toy Story Land, TRON, GotG, Disney Skyliner, MMRR, Star Wars Hotel, Avengers Campus, Galaxy's Edge name revealed - ALL announced in the same presentation. Of course there was Pixar Pier and the the Main Street Theater (which the latter never came to fruition). There was also smaller things revealed here like the new Canada 360 film and the new China 360 film, which we've still yet to get.

But I mean, if they ever top 2017 in terms of the grandiose scale in terms of lineup, then we'll still be eating good, so to speak.

Last edited:
The 2022 D23 Expo better give us something to look forward to beyond GotG.
The announcement will be Guardians will be finished with construction work in 2023. But they’re going to follow Iron Gwazi’s model and open the ride two years later, making it open in time for Epic Universe.

The announcement will be Guardians will be finished with construction work in 2023. But they’re going to follow Iron Gwazi’s model and open the ride two years later, making it open in time for Epic Universe.
Quite a few quips I could make come to mind, however, we're veering off track enough from the topic at hand so let's trying to reign this back in to Philharmagic.

Well, I wouldn’t say it’s awful. DLP’s presentation is awful. No, actually it’s freaking awful. It repurposes the Honey I Shrunk the Audience theater! At least DCA’s is tolerable IMO.

But yeah, it’s a nice addition to the show. The great thing about PhilharMagic’s premise is that it’s flexible for completely new scenes.
I just saw a video and wow. DLP's one just miniaturizes the normal screen to get the "it's larger than you thought" effect. It just looks bad.

Brooooooooooooo

It might have taken less if they actually tore down Universe of Energy's building and built a new one from the ground up. But they wanted to do something "cost effective" by keeping it and soon realized that a 35+ year old building was gonna' need some work done if they wanted to repurpose it...

Anyways...I'm quite fine with Coco being added to Philharmagic! I personally don't think it's jarring to have a Pixar film in the mix, after all unlike all the other films this one is CGI to begin with. Plus Coco has such dazzling visuals it's pretty much a great fit for a 3D show. I just wish they took the time and money to give DCA a 2.0 theater since the chopped up projections on the sides don't work as well as WDW's massive screen.