Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Minnie Vans

Something like a regular Lyft or an Uber would do the job at the moment anyway... there's no perk to it for Universal since their two properties are split apart.

That's a good point. I was thinking more about an integration into the Universal network. Maybe something within the app. I also like the idea of the cars picking you up outside your room. For the current resort, it's not needed as the transport is pretty good and walking is always an option but once WnW comes online along with the new plot of land, it can get a little messy.

I wonder if partnering with Lyft will benefit Disney or hurt them. Its great because people are already familiar with Lyft and have the app ready to go. But let's say a guest opens the app and sees the $20 fare for the Minnie Van vs. the $6.42 for the standard Lyft. Are they really going to order the Minnie Van? And will guests understand that Lyft drivers are self-employed, while Minnie drivers are cast members? That may not matter to some, but it's definitely a selling point for families: peace of mind. I'm really interested to see how guests respond to this. They always find a way to surprise lol

But let's say a guest opens the app and sees the $20 fare for the Minnie Van vs. the $6.42 for the standard Lyft. Are they really going to order the Minnie Van? And will guests understand that Lyft drivers are self-employed, while Minnie drivers are cast members?
The issue is also going to be that a standard Lyft will not pick you up at your room or drop you off close to MK. (only at TTC). I can see this being messy unless there is a clear link in the MDE app with info. I could see this being the best way to integrate/connect this service.

Must be successful if they are expanding it.

$150 is absolutely RIDICULOUS when I could do from Orlando International to Contemporary for as little as 33.93 for a standard Uber or $72.55 for an UberSelect.

But of course people will of course defend this as somehow more magical because the car looks like Minnie and the driver is a Disney CM instead of a “stranger”.

Must be successful if they are expanding it.

$150 is absolutely RIDICULOUS when I could do from Orlando International to Contemporary for as little as 33.93 for a standard Uber or $72.55 for an UberSelect.

But of course people will of course defend this as somehow more magical because the car looks like Minnie and the driver is a Disney CM instead of a “stranger”.

FWIW there is a not a totally unwarranted fear of Uber/Lyft drivers for women going alone or with kids due to harassment. The funny thing is most Uber/Lyft drivers in Orlando are just off duty CMs, TMs, or CPs.

FWIW there is a not a totally unwarranted fear of Uber/Lyft drivers for women going alone or with kids due to harassment. The funny thing is most Uber/Lyft drivers in Orlando are just off duty CMs, TMs, or CPs.
Oh, I know there is certainly some sort of warranted fear. But not $150 one-way fear. If the $150 was for Round-Trip service, than I maybe could see it. But even still...

It's going to cost a family $300 round trip since you're choosing this option. I can rent a 5 seater compact car for $66/day in Orlando now. If a family is in Orlando for 5 days, the total expense for the car is only $330.

I think Disney is really hoping that either...

1.) there's enough families who are frustrated enough while at the airport that they'll pay whatever they have to

2.) While booking the vacation, the child will see promotion of this COOL service where you can ride from the airport to WDW in a car that looks like Minnie! And how can Mom and Dad say no to their little Princess?

Oh, I know there is certainly some sort of warranted fear. But not $150 one-way fear. If the $150 was for Round-Trip service, than I maybe could see it. But even still...

It's going to cost a family $300 round trip since you're choosing this option. I can rent a 5 seater compact car for $66/day in Orlando now. If a family is in Orlando for 5 days, the total expense for the car is only $330.

I think Disney is really hoping that either...

1.) there's enough families who are frustrated enough while at the airport that they'll pay whatever they have to

or

2.) While booking the vacation, the child will see promotion of this COOL service where you can ride from the airport to WDW in a car that looks like Minnie! And how can Mom and Dad say no to their little Princess?

Also the service is only TO the airport at this time which is like.... what?

Also the service is only TO the airport at this time which is like.... what?
That's dumb.

But I guess if it's a test, it only has Disney sending drivers out there if there's a need. It also will help them see if there's enough demand. I still contend their best shot at business is finding frustrated families that just want to get to their hotel, though.

Looking at Mears private service, this is around +$40 of what they charge for a private ride to the airport from Disney.
I can understand the need for those wary of Uber/Lyft although I have had mostly good experiences, save 1 disaster last November with a clueless Uber driver.

I have also rented a car for a week, using it mainly to venture off property (Uni) but it does become somewhat of a hassle when getting to the airport and having to lug bags around.

I can't see them changing DME unless they make it an outright upcharge both ways, but I'm thinking there would be a huge backlash if they did that.

The funny thing is most Uber/Lyft drivers in Orlando are just off duty CMs, TMs, or CPs.

Have you taken many recently? The last few I've taken have very little English skills, and barely any driving skills, let alone knowledge of the area.

I get to Orlando average 2 times a year, always hire a car and haven't used Maps app to get around for years now!