Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Miss Adventure Falls - New Slide at Typhoon Lagoon

It's sad to me that Miss Adventure Falls is longer than every family slide at Volcano Bay and in some cases longer than two slides combined. But then again, this is also Typhoon Lagoon's longest slide so look who's talking. Oy :bonk:
Actually, I believe the water coaster MAY be longer...and I'm pretty sure Teamboat Springs at Blizzard Beach is longer too...honestly I'm surprised they didn't build MissAdventure Falls bigger!

If VB wasn't in the picture, I would be more content. Not trying to sound spoiled or anything, but you would think that management would keep their foot on the gas with competition lurking down I-4 in a month.

You have to think that Blizzard Beach will be next to get an update. It's over 20 years old and still the same park since it opened. Also losing the tallest slide to VB, could also be a big kick in the teeth.

So now that Volcano bay has opened, how does this attraction stack up? Are any of the queues or slides as well themed in Volcano Bay? Was this an appropriate response? I was watching a video of this slide, and I am impressed by the queue, the AA obviously, and the bits of theming on the actual slide. Obviously, it's not all the way there, but it's definitely a cool new step in a different direction for Water Parks.

So now that Volcano bay has opened, how does this attraction stack up? Are any of the queues or slides as well themed in Volcano Bay? Was this an appropriate response? I was watching a video of this slide, and I am impressed by the queue, the AA obviously, and the bits of theming on the actual slide. Obviously, it's not all the way there, but it's definitely a cool new step in a different direction for Water Parks.
To compare a singular ride with an entire new park is not an equal comparison. This is also less of a response than simply something to remind people that Disney has water parks too.

I've actually rode Miss Adventure falls. The Parrot AA has been down for a while and there's a screen over him. Other than that, there's not much theming at all on the ride. Just some trees they planted in front of a fence so you can't see the back portion of the ride and whatever that random thing you go around at the top which you can't really see from the raft well. To me, it's actually one of the less detailed things at TL.

To compare a singular ride with an entire new park is not an equal comparison. This is also less of a response than simply something to remind people that Disney has water parks too.

Well obviously, but was just curious. Do the slides in volcano have queues or stories like this?

Just left the DVC event and rode this for the first time. Some thoughts:

Pros:
- Queue was more themed than expected
- Conveyor lift is more fun than video depicts
- AA Parrot was cool

Cons:
- After the conveyor lift, the ride is incredibly bland
- Raft stays stationary entire ride... no spinning
- Also, very few sections where you get wet

Overall, nice addition to the park, but it's very off the shelf minus the minimal on-ride theming. It does add a much needed second family raft ride and wait times were noticably down for Gangplank Falls.

Just left the DVC event and rode this for the first time. Some thoughts:

Pros:
- Queue was more themed than expected
- Conveyor lift is more fun than video depicts
- AA Parrot was cool

Cons:
- After the conveyor lift, the ride is incredibly bland
- Raft stays stationary entire ride... no spinning
- Also, very few sections where you get wet

Overall, nice addition to the park, but it's very off the shelf minus the minimal on-ride theming. It does add a much needed second family raft ride and wait times were noticably down for Gangplank Falls.
While the AA and theming looks cool, what you've stated sounds similar to what other friends of mine have told me. Overall a good addition, but nothing amazing.

I still don't get why neither Disney or Universal has tried to build something like the two awesome water rides at Water World in Denver...Lost River of the Pharoahs and Voyage to the Center of the Earth. They're phenomenal and exactly what I have always hoped for and expected from the two big theme parks...yet this is the closest thing we've gotten.

While the AA and theming looks cool, what you've stated sounds similar to what other friends of mine have told me. Overall a good addition, but nothing amazing.

I still don't get why neither Disney or Universal has tried to build something like the two awesome water rides at Water World in Denver...Lost River of the Pharoahs and Voyage to the Center of the Earth. They're phenomenal and exactly what I have always hoped for and expected from the two big theme parks...yet this is the closest thing we've gotten.

That was the hope for me with Volcano Bay. Maybe Universal does in the future, but Disney is clearly pushing in that direction a little bit with MAF.

Its easy to build slides like those when your park is closed 7 months out of a year. You can have elaborate slides and work hard on them for renovations and updates during the off season then have them ready to go for Summer. Disney and Universal have the equipment to do it but the time those parks have to stay open is a lot more. Imagine how angry people would be if they had to close down the water coaster for 2 months for renovations.

How was the DVC event? I'll be there next Wednesday. Think I have two empty spots if you wanna repeat. Hah

How was the DVC event? I'll be there next Wednesday. Think I have two empty spots if you wanna repeat. Hah
It was fun, much more manageable wait times around the park than with Crush n Gusher and Miss Adventure open. Food was the same as last year if you went (mostly snacks, ice cream, etc). There was meals for purchase.

And thanks for the offer, but I'll be on a plane to Aulani that night. :D

It was fun, much more manageable wait times around the park than with Crush n Gusher and Miss Adventure open. Food was the same as last year if you went (mostly snacks, ice cream, etc). There was meals for purchase.

And thanks for the offer, but I'll be on a plane to Aulani that night. :D

I've been the last two years- sounds better because crush and miss adventure will be open (as opposed to 15' and 16'). Did DAK last year and this and doing Epcot this year too. Only ones I've missed are the 2 MK ones. :(

You been to Aulani before? Love it out there- best resort they have by a mile.
Also- I have a few surf boards on island at my office If you surf and want to borrow one.

Last edited:
I've been the last two years- sounds better because crush and miss adventure will be open (as opposed to 14' and 15'). Did DAK last year and this and doing Epcot this year too. Only ones I've missed are the 2 MK ones. :(

You been to Aulani before? Love it out there- best resort they have by a mile.
Also- I have a few surf boards on island at my office If you surf and want to borrow one.
Nope, first time to Aulani or Hawaii period! We're doing a bunch of stuff all over Oahu and then going to LA/Anaheim for a few days (right during D23!)

Its easy to build slides like those when your park is closed 7 months out of a year. You can have elaborate slides and work hard on them for renovations and updates during the off season then have them ready to go for Summer. Disney and Universal have the equipment to do it but the time those parks have to stay open is a lot more. Imagine how angry people would be if they had to close down the water coaster for 2 months for renovations.
There's no reason they couldn't refurb those rides in the three months the parks are closed yearly.

Then again what am I saying...look at how slides have been down at Blizzard Beach the past few years...

The DVC parties have kind of had the fun sucked out of them now that there's so many people. It was really fun the first year when they only announced them like a month or two beforehand, but now they announce them way way ahead of time and I think a lot of people are booking their vacations around it. Plus I think that first year they only allowed guests with resort reservations, and now they let any DVC member sign up, with up to five guests. So there's just too many people now. There's still some nice perks involved, you get to have fun in the park at night, you get some free snacks, and they have cool characters, but if your focus is actually doing the slides and stuff you're better off just doing the park during the day on a weekday.

The DVC parties have kind of had the fun sucked out of them now that there's so many people. It was really fun the first year when they only announced them like a month or two beforehand, but now they announce them way way ahead of time and I think a lot of people are booking their vacations around it. Plus I think that first year they only allowed guests with resort reservations, and now they let any DVC member sign up, with up to five guests. So there's just too many people now. There's still some nice perks involved, you get to have fun in the park at night, you get some free snacks, and they have cool characters, but if your focus is actually doing the slides and stuff you're better off just doing the park during the day on a weekday.
Eh, I know what you mean about there being a lot of people, but it still seemed well below park capacity.

We got walked in slightly after the 8:30 official start (we were planning for earlier, but we waited in the car a bit as it was pouring rain) and left at right around 10:45. Within that time, we did 2 trips around the lazy river, 2 times on Miss Adventure, 2 times on Crush 'n Gusher, once on Gangplank Falls, and about 20-30 mins in the wave pool. And we did a few Meet & Greets (Genie, Daisy) and watched some street entertainment and as I said still managed to leave 45 minutes before the event ended.

We could've done much more as the place was clearing out, but the season premier of Big Brother was on that night so we wanted to make it back home :p. I quite enjoy the TL DVC events as it's the only time we hit up any Orlando water parks all year. Hopefully over time Universal will add an "After 2" AP for VB and i'll get over there.

This is the big part for me.
I did the very first event ever (the 2nd week of it)- which was Typhoon Lagoon in 2015- which is the only park that had anything that year. It had basically no one there and was absolutely fantastic. At the time, it was guests with resort reservations and we could bring up to TEN guests- but still, it was dead (and great weather).
Last year- it was way worse. They then allowed Up to TEN guests for MK in Feb/March (Didnt go), Typhoon Lagoon in June/July (I went- way more crowded- not near as fun as 14'), and DAK in Sept (I went- not crowded- fun). The kicker was they introduced allowing non-resort people to come in.
Fast forward to this year- it's only 5 guests per event, instead of 10- but still allow non-resort people to come in, and they added Epcot for 2 nights in December- while removing 2 of the DAK nights (only 2 in Sept instead of 4), and also merry mixer. So actually the same amount parties for them to have, but more spread out- w/o the cost of the merry mixers.

I'm glad they have them- they're awesome. I'm from Texas- so I have to stay when I go- clearly. So selfishly, I wish they'd only allow hotel guests. If nothing else for Typhoon Lagoon. Allowing non-resort guests simply make it too crowded. 2 days ago might be skewed because it had rain- but the week before looked and sounded like 2015 crowd levels- which are simply too much for that small of a park. MK and DAK can handle it, not TL. And if future world + frozen are the only things open for Epcot- I'm guessing that will be pretty danged crowded too.
I'm looking forward to the DVC DAK event during my Sept. Universal trip quite a bit but certainly nervous about the Epcot event I'll be at for my WDW trip in Dec.

It's just this massive added "perk" for local DVC people. They have DVC discount, FL resident Discounts, way more trips to the parks, etc- we don't need to throw local DVC another bone- simply make them book a room to go. Give me a less crowded park instead, please. I'm happy either way- free is free- I just don't understand their reasoning.

Eh, I know what you mean about there being a lot of people, but it still seemed well below park capacity.

We got walked in slightly after the 8:30 official start (we were planning for earlier, but we waited in the car a bit as it was pouring rain) and left at right around 10:45. Within that time, we did 2 trips around the lazy river, 2 times on Miss Adventure, 2 times on Crush 'n Gusher, once on Gangplank Falls, and about 20-30 mins in the wave pool. And we did a few Meet & Greets (Genie, Daisy) and watched some street entertainment and as I said still managed to leave 45 minutes before the event ended.

We could've done much more as the place was clearing out, but the season premier of Big Brother was on that night so we wanted to make it back home :p. I quite enjoy the TL DVC events as it's the only time we hit up any Orlando water parks all year. Hopefully over time Universal will add an "After 2" AP for VB and i'll get over there.
I will say that it didn't seem quite as crowded as last year. Last year I remember the lazy river being packed to the gills.

This is the big part for me.
I did the very first event ever (the 2nd week of it)- which was Typhoon Lagoon in 2015- which is the only park that had anything that year. It had basically no one there and was absolutely fantastic. At the time, it was guests with resort reservations and we could bring up to TEN guests- but still, it was dead (and great weather).
Last year- it was way worse. They then allowed Up to TEN guests for MK in Feb/March (Didnt go), Typhoon Lagoon in June/July (I went- way more crowded- not near as fun as 14'), and DAK in Sept (I went- not crowded- fun). The kicker was they introduced allowing non-resort people to come in.
Fast forward to this year- it's only 5 guests per event, instead of 10- but still allow non-resort people to come in, and they added Epcot for 2 nights in December- while removing 2 of the DAK nights (only 2 in Sept instead of 4), and also merry mixer. So actually the same amount parties for them to have, but more spread out- w/o the cost of the merry mixers.

I'm glad they have them- they're awesome. I'm from Texas- so I have to stay when I go- clearly. So selfishly, I wish they'd only allow hotel guests. If nothing else for Typhoon Lagoon. Allowing non-resort guests simply make it too crowded. 2 days ago might be skewed because it had rain- but the week before looked and sounded like 2015 crowd levels- which are simply too much for that small of a park. MK and DAK can handle it, not TL. And if future world + frozen are the only things open for Epcot- I'm guessing that will be pretty danged crowded too.
I'm looking forward to the DVC DAK event during my Sept. Universal trip quite a bit but certainly nervous about the Epcot event I'll be at for my WDW trip in Dec.

It's just this massive added "perk" for local DVC people. They have DVC discount, FL resident Discounts, way more trips to the parks, etc- we don't need to throw local DVC another bone- simply make them book a room to go. Give me a less crowded park instead, please. I'm happy either way- free is free- I just don't understand their reasoning.
And only doing 2 nights at DAK was incredibly poor-planning as only 3 hours after sign-ups opened to the public (9am today), the event sold out. There must have been a crazy amount of people who planned their vacation around this event because i've never had a problem booking a DVC event before, never mind missing out on getting a spot entirely!

Anyway, we're off topic. We can take this to a DVC thread, but back to Miss Adventure Falls here :topic: