Moana 2 (2024) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Moana 2 (2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The animation looks pretty good all things considered…

The only hope I have for this comes from how good Toy Story 2 was after that started off as a direct-to-video release and was upgraded to theatrical.

While I can understand your hope, there's several factors which give me less of one.

Toy Story 2's situation of going from Direct-to-Video to Theatrical was still at its core from the beginning a movie. That said, they still went through hell in the transition as they still had to add 12 minutes of footage that wasn't tacked on or padding, change up the story etc. and still had to finish production on a tight schedule all in nine months.

At the core of Moana 2, this wasn't originally planned as a movie, it was planned as a Disney+ series which was changed up into being a movie. That's a more drastic change in a multitude of ways, and depending on what they were planning for the series, trying to condense it into a movie is no small task and very easy to screw up.

Also, the success story of Toy Story 2 was all on Pixar pulling it together. This film however is WDAS, and the last sequel they worked on was Frozen II, and I personally feel they didn't pull that film together from its development hell like Pixar did with Toy Story 2.

The trailer is really just banking off of incredibly similar shots, locations, and scenes to the first Moana. Not a ton to get excited for, at least right now. Hope it isn't purely a retread upon release

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
For a Teaser I thought is was more than I expected. BatB Teaser was just the rose under the glass dome.
Maui wanting to eat the pig, made me laugh. Not to mention roosters don't lay eggs.

Reactions: Jake S
For a Teaser I thought is was more than I expected. BatB Teaser was just the rose under the glass dome.
Maui wanting to eat the pig, made me laugh. Not to mention roosters don't lay eggs.
I just would’ve liked even a snippet of a new song. Literally anything to make me want to see this in the theater on the same day as Wicked.

I’ll wait for the full trailer to truly judge though.

A teaser trailers job is to give you an idea of what the film is about and to boost expectations from where they were before you saw the teaser.

This teaser did neither and is potentially one of the worst teaser trailers I’ve seen in quite some time.
That may be true in some regards, but I've always seen teaser trailers as little more than a way of a studio announcing "Here's what we're working on" for people who don't follow movie news closely. If you look at a lot of animated movie teasers, they usually aren't even part of the final movie.

While I can understand your hope, there's several factors which give me less of one.

Toy Story 2's situation of going from Direct-to-Video to Theatrical was still at its core from the beginning a movie. That said, they still went through hell in the transition as they still had to add 12 minutes of footage that wasn't tacked on or padding, change up the story etc. and still had to finish production on a tight schedule all in nine months.

At the core of Moana 2, this wasn't originally planned as a movie, it was planned as a Disney+ series which was changed up into being a movie. That's a more drastic change in a multitude of ways, and depending on what they were planning for the series, trying to condense it into a movie is no small task and very easy to screw up.

Also, the success story of Toy Story 2 was all on Pixar pulling it together. This film however is WDAS, and the last sequel they worked on was Frozen II, and I personally feel they didn't pull that film together from its development hell like Pixar did with Toy Story 2.

To be fair, we don't know exactly know when the decision was made to make it a movie. The last update the show had was at the start of 2022. Theoretically, they could have decided a couple of months later to go with the film and that would be twice as much time Toy Story 2 had. There is also 25 years of improvements in animation technology that may have helped as well.

As far as the story, a movie instead of a series may be better. A lot of people thought Obi-Wan Kenobi had too much filler to the point where a fan edited it down to two hours and was received better. Likewise, I think Monsters at Work has a lot of good ideas of furthering that world's story, there's just a lot of bad fluff that you need to slog through. I guess we'll know more how this looks the closer we get to release date.

That may be true in some regards, but I've always seen teaser trailers as little more than a way of a studio announcing "Here's what we're working on" for people who don't follow movie news closely. If you look at a lot of animated movie teasers, they usually aren't even part of the final movie.

To be fair, we don't know exactly know when the decision was made to make it a movie. The last update the show had was at the start of 2022. Theoretically, they could have decided a couple of months later to go with the film and that would be twice as much time Toy Story 2 had. There is also 25 years of improvements in animation technology that may have helped as well.

As far as the story, a movie instead of a series may be better. A lot of people thought Obi-Wan Kenobi had too much filler to the point where a fan edited it down to two hours and was received better. Likewise, I think Monsters at Work has a lot of good ideas of furthering that world's story, there's just a lot of bad fluff that you need to slog through. I guess we'll know more how this looks the closer we get to release date.

Incredibles 2 didn’t really need to sell audiences too much, but even that trailer served to at least show “hey, Jack Jack has powers now”. And the Trolls trailer gave you a clear idea it was going to be about music at least.

With Moana 2, I couldn’t give you any hint on what this is really about and Moana’s trailer was much longer. The film also just has a lot of negative energy surrounding it imo being a transition from a D+ series to a film and the fact that LMM isn’t back for music. As of right now I’ll be waiting to see this on D+, maybe they can change that in future trailers.

The film also just has a lot of negative energy surrounding it imo being a transition from a D+ series to a film and the fact that LMM isn’t back for music. As of right now I’ll be waiting to see this on D+, maybe they can change that in future trailers.

oh yeah i didnt even know it was supposed to be a tv show, i was surprised. everyone online keeps bringing that up as a negative

Incredibles 2 didn’t really need to sell audiences too much, but even that trailer served to at least show “hey, Jack Jack has powers now”. And the Trolls trailer gave you a clear idea it was going to be about music at least.

With Moana 2, I couldn’t give you any hint on what this is really about and Moana’s trailer was much longer. The film also just has a lot of negative energy surrounding it imo being a transition from a D+ series to a film and the fact that LMM isn’t back for music. As of right now I’ll be waiting to see this on D+, maybe they can change that in future trailers.
IMO further proof that Disney has no idea what the heck they are doing at times. My theory as to why they turned Moana 2 from a D+ series to a theatrical film is because they desperately wanted something in theaters from WDAS to fill that November 2024 slot and they had nothing so this was the next best thing.

IMO further proof that Disney has no idea what the heck they are doing at times. My theory as to why they turned Moana 2 from a D+ series to a theatrical film is because they desperately wanted something in theaters from WDAS to fill that November 2024 slot and they had nothing so this was the next best thing.
I actually kind of agree with you on that theory and I think it’s insane. Spend an extra year or more if you need it to get it right transitioning from show to movie and also… going against Wicked ain’t it.

I actually kind of agree with you on that theory and I think it’s insane. Spend an extra year or more if you need it to get it right transitioning from show to movie and also… going against Wicked ain’t it.
For a while I thought the WDAS film in the Nov 2024 slot would have been something Wreck It Ralph related. After Ralph Breaks the Internet there were talk of several sequel ideas from Ralph and Vanellope beaming themselves to space or a spin off with the princesses.

For a while I thought the WDAS film in the Nov 2024 slot would have been something Wreck It Ralph related. After Ralph Breaks the Internet there were talk of several sequel ideas from Ralph and Vanellope beaming themselves to space or a spin off with the princesses.
It's so crazy that they never just made "Super Wreck-It Ralph". It's a video game movie, make the sequels about video games. They flubbed so hard with "Ralph Breaks".

It's so crazy that they never just made "Super Wreck-It Ralph". It's a video game movie, make the sequels about video games. They flubbed so hard with "Ralph Breaks".
I think one of the original proposals for Ralph Breaks the Internet was to actually deal with the subject of online gaming.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet

I think one of the original proposals for Ralph Breaks the Internet was to actually deal with the subject of online gaming.

the second wreck it Ralph movie was nice but it had so many wasted opportunities, im surprised they didnt do more of that. so many things they could have done

Reactions: Jerroddragon
The would have made more sense the film has a solid message but man it just became a Cameo Film

I will say, would love a third film or a series because I feel like Ralph and his cast is interesting when done right

The would have made more sense the film has a solid message but man it just became a Cameo Film

I will say, would love a third film or a series because I feel like Ralph and his cast is interesting when done right
While I don't think the Wreck it Ralph IP will get another film in theaters, But I think a D+ series would work. They could also do that princess spinoff on D+ or turn that into its own series as well.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Ralph Breaks the Internet is probably the worst sequel I have ever seen. It completely ignored the character arcs and story beats of the original to turn it into Ready Player One except it's Disney. Also, turning Ralph into an obsessive friend was a horrible idea given that he's an adult and she's a child. I felt really offput the entire movie.

cool, please have that good conversation in a relevant thread.
I guess I don't see the point in it? Moving it to another thread just cuts off the convo for no apparent reason. This happens a lot on this forum. It's not like we have much to discuss right now anyways.

I don't know, I just don't think off topic talk has ever been an actual problem.

Reactions: saint.piss