MSHI Expansion? | Page 61 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If this is true I would love to know what Universal got in return.

I'd wager an increase of gaining merchandise sales of Marvel and more freedom of the Marvel IP for Universal (meaning they can use the IP outside of IOA in terms of attractions and potentially; into the third park) while Disney can advertise Marvel IP's, as well as using Marvel IP's on the East Coast and Japan (Select IP's that they can use that'd be a success).

I'd wager an increase of gaining merchandise sales of Marvel and more freedom of the Marvel IP for Universal (meaning they can use the IP outside of IOA in terms of attractions and potentially; into the third park) while Disney can advertise Marvel IP's, as well as using Marvel IP's on the East Coast and Japan (Select IP's that they can use that'd be a success).
A Cinematic Marvel Universe land in the third park would be sweet, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm more so thinking Universal is just documenting every time they do something with Marvel they aren't suppose to so when they have to settle this issue they have a full list so they can have more to barter with than they did with the monorail issue.

A Cinematic Marvel Universe land in the third park would be sweet, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

True, but to me I have to believe that something Universal would want in the end if a deal would be made; UOR can use more of the Marvel IP for outside of IOA in terms of having a new area/attraction pop up for the third gate. If Merchandise sales doesn't happen; this could be still beneficial for Universal Creative in terms of having more to access for the parks.

Technically, I'd consider it on the level of the Marvel Studios/Sony Pictures deal in terms that while Sony does have Distribution rights for the upcoming Spiderman solo-films but Marvel Studios has an equal control on the quality that they want to do for Spiderman.

Personally, I think if a deal gets made for Disney Parks and Resorts/Universal Parks and Resorts, Marvel would be the middle-ground. Particularly, while both parties control the operations and creations of the Marvel Brand for the parks and resorts respectively; both parties would have to go to Marvel Entertainment (Studio included) to get approved in what they want to represent for the brand and the final say in how they show the quality for the parks, with budgets finalized, and nothing being cut in the process. That way, it ensures that the Marvel Branding is being treated equally on both parties, as neither can sway Marvel Entertainment in a particular direction away from the other.

It's wishful thinking, but that's how I would particularly see it.

We'll find out soon enough if/when Uni responds like they did for the Avengers Monorail.

If he's allowed the idea that some kind of deal was reached between the two for certain characters wouldn't be so far fetched.

I'm more so thinking Universal is just documenting every time they do something with Marvel they aren't suppose to so when they have to settle this issue they have a full list so they can have more to barter with than they did with the monorail issue.

What happened with the Avengers monorail issue?

Yes, it was restricted to the Magic Kingdom lines only. So was the Iron Man train.

Yes, it was restricted to the Magic Kingdom lines only. So was the Iron Man train.

I see, because the Epcot line goes through the park they couldn't have the wrapped monorails go through there.

It also helps explain the Iron Man and Avengers-themed monorails that glided around the Magic Kingdom express and resort monorail lines in the past few years. Those particular shrink-wrapped beauties weren’t allowed to jump over to the Epcot monorail line because that beam travels within the park’s gate. While technically the monorail doesn’t count as an “attraction”, why cause a legal battle between Disney and Universal if you don’t need to?

source: When Will Disney World Add Marvel Attractions? - Theme Park University

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
So if they use the IP in Disney Springs this would not be an issue, right? It would just be advertising the movie itself, which they are allowed to do. Now if this movie preview is in the park that might be a different story.

So if they use the IP in Disney Springs this would not be an issue, right? It would just be advertising the movie itself, which they are allowed to do. Now if this movie preview is in the park that might be a different story.

I believe that is correct. They just can't use the name Marvel and they can't advertise it within 500 miles.

The movie preview itself is fine in DHS, just like with the Guardians preview, with some stipulations like not advertising it with Marvel or having the Marvel branding on the preview/signage/etc. The character meet and greet will probably end up used only for upcharge events and private parties, just like Star Lord and Gamora were. He might be distant enough of a character to use as a meet and greet for normal daily operations, but again it would likely be with the "Super Hero" Marvel look-alike branding and not Marvel branding.

I don't think Universal is allowed to add Marvel to new parks. They had that option for a couple years post IoA, but they gave up the option. They'd have to renegotiate the contract now.

This would be correct. Disney did something for Iron Man 2 (or 3?) years ago with a walk around Iron Patriot Meet & Greet character.

It sounds like a movie preview and a meet and greet is what WDW is doing. And yes Doc Strange on one of murals in MSHI and he technically is in the Avengers family and the Defenders family both present in MSHI (he and hulk are leading members of the defenders) so based on the family rule he shouldn't be allowed in the park period. Who knows.

It would be hilarious if they did the preview without mentioning Marvel OR Doctor Strange. Just advertise it as the 'beardy magic n stuff' movie preview.

Reactions: Mike S
It would be hilarious if they did the preview without mentioning Marvel OR Doctor Strange. Just advertise it as the 'beardy magic n stuff' movie preview.

If it is in Disney Springs they can mention Marvel because they are advertising the movie itself. I can't imagine Marvel would have signed a contract where they can't advertise their own movies. That would just be silly. They just can't advertise them within an amusement park.