Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

NBCUniversal Evolution Plan

The whole soundstage plan is so confusing to me lol. I need Google Map type of pictures of a before, after and future.

The whole soundstage plan is so confusing to me lol. I need Google Map type of pictures of a before, after and future.

Then perhaps this, will help.

Universal Plans New Soundstage Complex, Theme Park Expansion – Variety

nbcu-graphic-62116-d.jpg

As of now, Soundstage 29 seems to be staying, and might be used for Theme Park/Studio use for special events and what-not. So that in practice, the soundstages/facilities leaving should be simple:

Soundstage 22-25 (Already gone)
Soundstage 31 (Already gone)
Soundstages 33-37 (In the cards to go)
Rehearsal Hall (In the cards to go)
Soundstages 41-44 (In the cards to go)

And as for new soundstages,

Soundstages 22-23 [Metro Set's Soundstages] (Already done)
Soundstages 24-27 [First Phase of Red Sea Soundstages] (Already Done)
Remaining 8 Soundstages on Red Sea (In the cards to happen)

Last edited:
They announced back in 2016 that they would be adding 10 soundstages into the Backlot, where the former Red Sea is. And that, with how LA is now approved for the 2028 Summer Olympics, there should be two additional soundstages added into the Red Sea Soundstages.

They also added new soundstages next to the Metro Set's, and that they have plans on removing multiple soundstages, with some already gone (The Former 22-25 Soundstages).
I hope Universal doesn't get rid of the Production Bungalows....that's where Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment and DreamWorks SKG have their headquarters.

I hope Universal doesn't get rid of the Production Bungalows....that's where Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment and DreamWorks SKG have their headquarters.

I would assume they wouldn't be able to, even if they wanted, by leasing contracts and what-not.

Amblin would be safe, and that I would imagine DW would get the boot over that.

Then perhaps this, will help.

Universal Plans New Soundstage Complex, Theme Park Expansion – Variety

nbcu-graphic-62116-d.jpg

As of now, Soundstage 29 seems to be staying, and might be used for Theme Park/Studio use for special events and what-not. So that in practice, the soundstages/facilities leaving should be simple:

Soundstage 22-25 (Already gone)
Soundstage 31 (Already gone)
Soundstages 33-37 (In the cards to go)
Rehearsal Hall (In the cards to go)
Soundstages 41-44 (In the cards to go)

And as for new soundstages,

Soundstages 22-23 [Metro Set's Soundstages] (Already done)
Soundstages 24-27 [First Phase of Red Sea Soundstages] (Already Done)
Remaining 8 Soundstages on Red Sea (In the cards to happen)

Thanks so much! This definitely helped me understand it a lot better!

Revisiting this thread, as I forgot that Jonathan had posted back in 2017 a fascinating write-up before he left, as it talked a bit about what has transpired since the Evolution Plan's approval by the LA County.

But with that article, there lies a missing piece of photo, that I think could be..interesting to bring up.

model.jpg

Revisiting Universal Studios Hollywood’s Evolution Plan | Inside Universal

From this photo, we can actually see what was of the first phase of the Evolution Plan, as you can notice the buildings of Hogsmeade, Springfield (even before that was announced in 2014), and Universal Blvd early on. Additionally, you can also see the original sizes that the two hotels would've been.

A thought to bring up. With DreamWorks Theater, Jurassic World, and Secret Life of Pets all kicking into gear for the next phase of the Evolution Plan to presumably begin, would you want to see Universal Hollywood add a hotel? Would it be fesible for this climate inside the Burbank/Studio City area? I'm interested to hear thoughts on that, as we start to return back to a constant period of somewhat large to large investments for the park once more.

Where is there room for all of this? Was the plan for Universal to dramatically downsize their studio lot?

As far as the Studio Lot, there are plans in place to add new soundstages on the eastern end of the Backlot (with the first phase already complete, as 4 soundstages have been built since 2016).

There has also been purchases on the hillside facing War of The Worlds, but from what I understand; it's more for Studio use than the theme park for execs and individuals working with the studio.

The two hotels, would use areas next to (or within the area of the resort itself), as one would've been on the Fum Lung Plot, and the other would consist of the Front End Parking and Saddle Ranch (alongside RV's and buses).

They would replace pre-existing soundstages with-in the studio, for space for the park; due to the new soundstages being built over the course for the next few years.

Here's a crazy thought. What if the Fung Lum plot was used to expand the Frankenstein Parking structure? This could potentially expand the upper lot and could fit an attraction behind Minions.

Here's a crazy thought. What if the Fung Lum plot was used to expand the Frankenstein Parking structure? This could potentially expand the upper lot and could fit an attraction behind Minions.

The Frankenstein Parking structure can only take up so much weight.

After Pets, that's likely it, unless they do major changes to the infastructure of that structure (and surrounding area).

The new land would sit on the expanded parking structure on the Fung Lum plot and have no bearing on the existing parking structure. The expanded parking structure would take on the weight of the new land. Something like this. Sorry for my poor photoshopping skills.

Jurassic Parking Expansion.jpg

^-- I think that'd be a really cool idea, and an awesome place to put a Hollywood version of Suess Landing (obviously smaller though), but I feel the need for Universal operated Hotel rooms is more important. I also believe that our current parking infrastructure is more than enough to support the next half decade of growth (at least).

The Frankenstein Parking structure can only take up so much weight.

After Pets, that's likely it, unless they do major changes to the infastructure of that structure (and surrounding area).

If they built a new parking structure like he's suggesting that would not matter. It would be designed with the weight on top in mind.

Last edited:
^-- I think that'd be a really cool idea, and an awesome place to put a Hollywood version of Suess Landing (obviously smaller though), but I feel the need for Universal operated Hotel rooms is more important. I also believe that our current parking infrastructure is more than enough to support the next half decade of growth (at least).
Personally I think having more garage parking than needed for awhile might not be the worst thing if you are gonna need it down the line. Just look at the mess Disneyland has themselves in preparing for SWGE right now because they couldn’t get the Eastern Gateway done any time over the past 20 years that it’s been proposed.

Personally I think having more garage parking than needed for awhile might not be the worst thing if you are gonna need it down the line. Just look at the mess Disneyland has themselves in preparing for SWGE right now because they couldn’t get the Eastern Gateway done any time over the past 20 years that it’s been proposed.

I mean, there is the option of adding parking structures next to where Jurassic Parking & ET Parking are as it stands, making multi-floored complexes as it stands.

Hell, the land next to ET may be even more ideal, considering how you could map it out as an extension of the parking structure, but add a larger amount of spaces to a nearly similar size to the ET structure.

As someone who's only recently begun to follow USH stuff, could anyone give me (and anybody else who's in the same boat as me) maybe a brief rundown on what we could reasonable expect here?

Im just not aware of potential land availability, USH's profits, etc. Id think a hotel must be in their future, especially if they're going to continue to develop the lower lot into more park stuff.

As someone who's only recently begun to follow USH stuff, could anyone give me (and anybody else who's in the same boat as me) maybe a brief rundown on what we could reasonable expect here?

Im just not aware of potential land availability, USH's profits, etc. Id think a hotel must be in their future, especially if they're going to continue to develop the lower lot into more park stuff.
Based on the photo this looks like it will take up the Fung Lum lot and hillside.

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 10.38.04 AM.png