New Tomorrowland Rumored for DL | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

New Tomorrowland Rumored for DL

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

DLNT is hearing Lightyear Mountain may be scrapped as part of the BO returns...but, they are apparently hearing that the Peoplemover will be getting retracked and shortened.

I highly doubt it, but if they are doing it, then they are messing with the natural order.

• Haha
Reactions: Wesker69

DLNT is hearing Lightyear Mountain may be scrapped as part of the BO returns...but, they are apparently hearing that the Peoplemover will be getting retracked and shortened.

I highly doubt it, but if they are doing it, then they are messing with the natural order.
Please please PLEASE let this be true! Who cares if it's shorter? I'll gladly take it!

Man, if they actually announce this at D23, the crowd is going to ERUPT.

If the People Mover comes back...i will visit the park to ride it when it opens...lol

I love the little ride

I highly doubt the specifics of that people mover rumor. I've always heard that the supports are no longer stable enough for a ride. I realize the article says much of the infrastructure will change, but I was under the impression all of it had to be replaced.
There might be a new version, but it will likely look nothing like the classic

We’ll know if this is true in any form soon enough because even if it takes them 10 years, they know that the crowd would go nuts hearing this. So if they don’t announce it, which is what I expect, it’s not happening.

I highly doubt the specifics of that people mover rumor. I've always heard that the supports are no longer stable enough for a ride. I realize the article says much of the infrastructure will change, but I was under the impression all of it had to be replaced.
There might be a new version, but it will likely look nothing like the classic
Well, yeah there's no way the PM will ever come back the way it was. The old track is beyond repair and current OSHA regulations wouldn't allow it. The ride will have to come back in a more OSHA and Disney lawyer-friendly way. Not ideal, but that's the way it is. Again, I will gladly take a new PM ride if it means being able to relax on a ride around TL through SM again.
We’ll know if this is true in any form soon enough because even if it takes them 10 years, they know that the crowd would go nuts hearing this. So if they don’t announce it, which is what I expect, it’s not happening.
If this was WDW, it would take them three years before they start construction, six years of actual construction and keeping all of TL closed, and then a year of testing.

But I think they would be foolish top not bring it back in some way. It's a big people eater and the people just want it back.

Reactions: alias8703
If this was WDW, it would take them three years before they start construction, six years of actual construction and keeping all of TL closed, and then a year of testing.

But I think they would be foolish top not bring it back in some way. It's a big people eater and the people just want it back.
I think it's more about how practical it is. I'm sure they can re-stabilize the supports and replace the Rocket Rods track with new PM track, but i'm highly skeptical that this is going to in any way be cheap and it's not really monetizable outside of merch or popcorn buckets so I don't know that Chapek would approve this.

The only way I could see it actually happening is if Autopia is truly getting the axe for something like TRON and they are just throwing in the cost of fixing the people mover with the TRON budget? It would also be a way to earn a little good will with fans since they'd be getting rid of Autopia, which many hardcore DL fans love. I personally really like it as well, especially compared to WDW's lame speedway as Autopia is the largest by far and I love how forested it is.

Reactions: Freak

This will be WDW's Brazil pavilion all over again.

Considering the source, I gotta' take this rumor with quite the grain of salt.
That said, any kind of peoplemover revival would be welcome, no doubt about that. But yeah, I do agree that Disney knows how much of a reaction they would get if they announced this, so if it's not announced at D23, I don't see it happening.

Gonna put this out there - rumor has it Bob was out with parks management doing final approvals for projects. I think this leaked because either 1) got approved 2) they are trying to drum up fan interest in their project as a selling point for Bob & co to make a decision soon. D23 will be the do-or-die time for this.
Well fan interest is obviously going to be there, but I don't see how that would change Chapek's mind if he said no to this if it was on the table. Magic Key's are all sold out and reservation spots are always fully booked. Like I said, there's not many ways to monetize this aside from merch and popcorn buckets as this isn't even an attraction that you can throw Genie+ onto due to the lack of a possible G+ queue on top of stand by. Plus, it's such a high capacity ride that why would you bother anyway?

As I said, this only happens imo if it's a part of some larger TL redevelopment involving a new attraction going into the Autopia plot and then they work a PM revival into that budget as a part of a "Tomorrowland Overhaul".

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Personally I don’t think the point gets made enough that building a brick and mortar Tomorrowland is an intrinsically flawed concept because eventually it becomes Todayland, or worse, Yesterdayland. Things like Frontierland and Adventureland are both rooted in a certain motif and a timeframe that only gets further away.

It’s a scalding hot take, but I wish they’d bin both domestic Tomorrowlands and either go with a Discoveryland concept or build something else from scratch, DLR being the more likely scratch candidate since their Space Mountain is a bit less of a stand-alone building.

I do hope if this actually comes to reality (and I know this is probably asking a bit too much) that they end up moving the Astro Orbiter back up where it belongs.

Only see it happening as part of an overall Tomorrowland overhaul realistically split in phases. Phase 1 being the main TL corridor of Buzz Lightyear/Star Tours/Space Mountain, Phase 2 tackling the Carousel of Progress, and Phase 3 Subs/Autopia is reserved for Fantasyland/Tomorrowland expansions.

The best way to theme Tomorrowland is to return to its 50s retro appearance and to make it feel like an idea of Tomorrowland not an actual image.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy
Only see it happening as part of an overall Tomorrowland overhaul realistically split in phases. Phase 1 being the main TL corridor of Buzz Lightyear/Star Tours/Space Mountain, Phase 2 tackling the Carousel of Progress, and Phase 3 Subs/Autopia is reserved for Fantasyland/Tomorrowland expansions.

The best way to theme Tomorrowland is to return to its 50s retro appearance and to make it feel like an idea of Tomorrowland not an actual image.

I'd actually argue bringing it to be more aligned with Shanghai's Tomorrowland, clean, curved and sleek in nature with itself and the area around.

Revamp Space Ranger Spin to be based off of either Lightyear or even better, Big Hero 6; replace Star Tours with Iron Man Experience, and upgrade Space Mountain with new effects, alongside the Peoplemover and Shanghai's Orbiter and that would do a lot more already.

Reactions: Wesker69 and Freak