Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

New Universal Parks & Resorts Merch Bags

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
A new design for Universal merchandise bags has been released at Universal Orlando, retiring the long-used black bags that featured Shrek, Spider-Man, Spongebob Squarepants, and the Hulk.

Should we read anything into not featuring the Marvel characters anymore? Can't remember where but I think I've heard that they had to put it on the advertising as a stipulation of the contract.

Design choices or no, still weird to see Optimus not in the Bayformer classic form, but instead in the form present past the original trilogy.

Beijing had used the version for their statue, but didn't update any of the characters for the Beijing film. I wonder why they didn't go with the classic Bayformer look.

Should we read anything into not featuring the Marvel characters anymore? Can't remember where but I think I've heard that they had to put it on the advertising as a stipulation of the contract.
Since the other parks don't have Marvel, it made sense not to feature it. The four things they chose are represented in Hollywood, Orlando, and Japan.

There may be changes that have been negotiated, with the timing of removing the images just as Disney starts using the GotG name. Comcast and Disney do a LOT of business together, and it's in both of their interests to keep the relationship as smooth as possible. They're both making money on the Marvel contract and while they are competitors they both have mutual interests.

Generic Universal theme parks bag is not the end of the world but were does it stop.
Rember Disney used to have themed napkins, Universal still has them but for how long. It's a sliding slope and a bit sad just for a few bucks of profit.

Generic Universal theme parks bag is not the end of the world but were does it stop.
Rember Disney used to have themed napkins, Universal still has them but for how long. It's a sliding slope and a bit sad just for a few bucks of profit.
RIP themed butter pats.....

I guess I could see this concern if they weren’t currently working on a whole new campus as we speak. Sometimes a bag is just a bag - and most people throw them away.

Ok I'm going to be a bit extra for a second

Those dagum black bags with Shrek, Hulk (1999), Spongebob, and Spidey (1999) on them were such a holdover from a previous era of the resort

They needed to change since the beginning of the decade, yet they clung around with their outdated style and characters on them

This is not to say that Spiderman and Hulk are outdated, because they are certainly timeless, however the designs on the old merch bags were.

Add in Shrek, that was stale pre-Potter and Spongebob that only had a cameo scene in Nicktoon blast and a store

Not to mention the cheap all black look and the gigantic website on the bottom (as if people don't know how to google)

I don't know the old design just screamed of a resort that was desperately trying to attract people and be seen, and to be frank, felt tired and worn out

The new design speaks of a global theme park brand that shares a unified vision and has grown immensely

Plus I simply love the unified logos between "Universal Studios" the production wing and "Universal Parks" the resort wing

These simple design changes really do make a difference

OMG is this how DisTwitter people sound?

Ok I'm going to be a bit extra for a second

Those dagum black bags with Shrek, Hulk (1999), Spongebob, and Spidey (1999) on them were such a holdover from a previous era of the resort

They needed to change since the beginning of the decade, yet they clung around with their outdated style and characters on them

This is not to say that Spiderman and Hulk are outdated, because they are certainly timeless, however the designs on the old merch bags were.

Add in Shrek, that was stale pre-Potter and Spongebob that only had a cameo scene in Nicktoon blast and a store

Not to mention the cheap all black look and the gigantic website on the bottom (as if people don't know how to google)

I don't know the old design just screamed of a resort that was desperately trying to attract people and be seen, and to be frank, felt tired and worn out

The new design speaks of a global theme park brand that shares a unified vision and has grown immensely

Plus I simply love the unified logos between "Universal Studios" the production wing and "Universal Parks" the resort wing

These simple design changes really do make a difference

OMG is this how DisTwitter people sound?
It is... because Universal is becoming a more Disney like theme park destination globally. One day, we will all be the same.