Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nickelodeon Hotel becoming Holiday Inn

Putting this here..Nickelodeons hotel site confirmed a few minutes ago that the hotel will be rebranded as of April 17th to a Holiday Inn.

As a resort, Nickelodeon will be ending their partnership with the hotel.

Thoughts?
Probably not the smartest move. There are nicer hotels closer to the parks for less. The branding was almost all that brought them above the rest.

Interesting...especially since they had a loose affiliation with Universal. I now Universal supplied their costumes with some sort of agreement.

Interesting...especially since they had a loose affiliation with Universal. I now Universal supplied their costumes with some sort of agreement.
Very, very loose but more as a friendly gesture to a rights holder. Universal provided them with their old costumes for SpongeBob and Dora at the request of Nickelodeon.

I wonder why Nickelodeon's licensing keeps being pulled, since they also lost their deal with Norwegian Cruise Line late last year. The ships with the Nick experiences (Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, etc.) all had to have their kids areas be re-themed. Are their licensing costs getting too expensive?

I wonder why Nickelodeon's licensing keeps being pulled, since they also lost their deal with Norwegian Cruise Line late last year. The ships with the Nick experiences (Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, etc.) all had to have their kids areas be re-themed. Are their licensing costs getting too expensive?
Viacom is going downhill fast. They can't afford to license their characters out anymore.

And because I know most don't know this, Holiday Inn ran the Nick Hotel before and during it's time as Nick Hotel. Nickelodeon just bought the rights to make it a themed hotel, run by Holiday Inn. Holiday Inn is now taking it back in name, likely because Nickelodeon can no longer afford the venture like the cruise lines.

Isn't it the other way around where the hotel chain/cruise line pay to license the characters?

Isn't it the other way around where the hotel chain/cruise line pay to license the characters?
In some situations it depends. You're probably right and I just got caught up in thought, but either way, Viacom is hurting pretty bad, which is why i'd guess a lot of these things are going away. They could deem it not worth it.

Fun story time:

Back when I started being a part of a site, I started Theme Park Ave with Erik Yates (some of you may recall).

Anywho, our first big cover for the site was IAAPA in 2007 (maybe 2006?) and we were gonna cover the hell out of it all weekend. I was but a poor man, being a young buck in my early 20's, living paycheck to paycheck; Erik was father of 2, so we had to ball on a budget. Luckily, he won a free hotel stay at the Nick Hotel that he was planning to use for his children at one point.

He decided he was going to use the free stay since we both were tight and invited me to stay with him. So, 2 men were on the way to the Nick Hotel.

You guys can probably figure out who this is going to play out now....

As I'm driving up from Miami, I get a call from Erik who has already checked in - "Hey, uh, you might get some flack from security."

"Wait, why?"

"Well, apparently being a grown man by himself in a hotel aimed at kids is a cause of concern."

Long story, short... the whole weekend was spent with security keeping a watchful eye on us.

I think Nick in general is hurting. I know a ton of 3 and 5 year olds and I only know about 1 that is into anything nick related. Disney has just killed the market when it comes to kids programming. Most parents will only do PBS and Disney Jr. And it isn't just because I live in Orlando. I am on boards with people with kids and the majority of people won't allow Nick to play in their house. The only show we allow my daughter to watch is Paw Patrol and that does seem to be slightly popular with many kids. But her birthday was themed it and most parents had no clue what Paw Patrol was. And the ONLY reason we got into it is she loves dogs and she wanted a board game called paw patrol. I didn't realize it was tied to a Nick show until I got home. So I watched it once by myself to make sure I was OK with it and then let her watch it. If Disney had a dog related show, I am sure Paw Patrol would have never been a thing in our household.

TMNT is HUGE for them, but other than that they really don't have much going for them right now.

Still hoping Comcast scoops up either Viacom or WB. Would be a good acquisition for them.
There's a lot of fat within Viacom that could be trimmed, but there's also a lot of good and a lot of recognizable, household names that come along with it. It'd be a pretty cheap acquisition right now, too.

TMNT is HUGE for them, but other than that they really don't have much going for them right now.

Still hoping Comcast scoops up either Viacom or WB. Would be a good acquisition for them.

TMNT is popular, I didn't realize it was Nick. Yes, boys are very much into that one. To get a feel of what is going on in the kiddie world just walk into a toy story. It is interesting how many spots within the toy store are Disney Properties, PBS properties, and Nick properties. Disney rules the toy store. I thought it was interesting there was new Octonauts episodes. I thought they were done making that show. But 2 years ago they started selling the toys. In the new episodes that aired last year they all had new vehicles. It was like they made the shows just so they could sell more toys. They are smart lol

Yeah, I wouldn't say the sky is falling when it comes to Nick properties. A lot of the shows get higher ratings than what's on Disney Channel and actually 2015 was the first year Disney Channel JUST edged out Nickelodeon in the ratings. And it's not just the stuff we know as adults that's popular (Spongebob, TMNT, even the new Alvin & the Chipmunks show is ahit), it's stuff we're not so familiar with like Franklin & Friends, Peppa Pig, Make It Pop, etc).

But that just makes these recent events more confusing.

Yeah, I wouldn't say the sky is falling when it comes to Nick properties. A lot of the shows get higher ratings than what's on Disney Channel and actually 2015 was the first year Disney Channel JUST edged out Nickelodeon in the ratings. And it's not just the stuff we know as adults that's popular (Spongebob, TMNT, even the new Alvin & the Chipmunks show is ahit), it's stuff we're not so familiar with like Franklin & Friends, Peppa Pig, Make It Pop, etc).

But that just makes these recent events more confusing.
The one thing that always stuck out to me was that they never updated the hotel as far as the characters on the buildings. The advertised characters were the ones popular in the late 90's, early-mid 2000's all the way until today still.

I would say maybe they are looking to move elsewhere, but they couldn't possibly ask for a better location than where they were, being right outside the WDW gates.

It's possible that AoA and Cabana Bay took away the theme-park going family suite crowd from the hotel and their occupancy was suffering because of that as well.