Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For a Mario Kart ride, I really think the idea someone else had pages ago(sorry, not going to hunt for the post, but feel free to chime in) where it would be similar to the Simpsons ride really may be the best idea. Have a large number of kart ride vehicles that fit a few people each, maybe like 6, and have them on their own motion base in a large dome screen. The individual karts could go up, down, spin, shake and do whatever. It would replicate the game experience fairly well imo.

I like this. Maybe they could go the Star Wars route and have multiple tracks programmed to give the ride some variety.

I think one of the crazy things with this IP is that UNI could probably start selling Merch before they ever break ground on the first attractions.

I guess I am from the Pong era. I certainly played Donkey Kong as a kid. Super Mario Bros as a young adult. Having a young daughter was an excuse to get a WII, Mario Karts is one game that my wife will even play. It is cool to have something that the whole family enjoys. We have a Wii U now and we all love Mario Kart 8.

My daughter heard the news and she was sooo excited....my wife and I are now teasing each other that we want a Mario Kart ride so we can through turtle shells at each other!

I really think this is going to be a fun area of the park when it comes into being....but wow, we seem to have so much coming before we get to see what they have in store for everyone.

I hope that Universal sees how popular this topic is and how many positive comments have been made because they NEED to get going on this.

This is PERFECT for UO right now. They've been desperate to change Toon Lagoon, so they can retheme it to Nintendo fairly easily and relatively cheaply, at least compared to the money spent on Transformers, Kong and the Harry Potter stuff. And they can make a bigger deal about it in advertising than they could with an NBC Museum. They can focus on Mario, Luigi, Peach, Donkey Kong and/or Yoshi for the rides, and just have others like Link and the Pokemon as walk-around characters. Make an attempt to put a Nintendo show in the theater.

Down the road, if the show isn't a big hit, they can remove the theater and add in a Mario Kart D-Ticket (side-by-side racing AND interactive). If this is all popular - and why wouldn't it be, especially compared to what's in Toon Lagoon now - then they can retheme KidZone very cheaply to Pokemon (with a new entrance to ET away from the new land) and they can take those characters out of Super Mario Land. Then when they open a third gate, they can open a Hyrule land. And the best part of this is they can have a Nintendo land in every park and, unlike Harry Potter, it won't seem like they are overdoing it. Super Mario Brothers is extremely different from Pokemon which is completely different from Legend of Zelda. If they are kept out of each other's domains, they'll feel like three completely different IPs.

This is even better because it allows Universal to have "off-years" where they don't have to spend $100M+ every year, which means we could get something of worth every year instead of museums and walk-throughs. For example:

2016: Kong at IOA
2017: Fast & Furious at USF
2018: Toon Lagoon/Mario retheme at IOA
2019: KidZone retheme at USF
2020: Add Mario Kart to IOA

That's something at each park every other year and doesn't even include other rumors like the Twister replacement, the Star Trek stuff, the Ministry of Magic, Jurassic World attractions, Seuss Landing expanding, Krustyland expanding into the empty lot next to the Simpsons Ride, Men in Black being rethemed or the possible retheming of Hulk and the retheming/replacement of Dr Doom. Some could obviously happen at the same time - Ministry of Magic could be done during a Toon Lagoon retheme, Jurassic World during a KidZone rehaul.

In fact, Nintendo fits so well into UO's problem areas that every USF IP rumor of the past couple years can now be expanded on and moved to the rumored third gate: Star Trek, a third Harry Potter land, a third Nintendo (Hyrule?) land, The Hobbit, World of Warcraft, the Kaiju from Pacific Rim (and possibly Godzilla), and who knows who else Universal is talking to?

Last edited:
I would like to see Universal Pictures make a development deal with Nintendo as well. I could see Super Mario and Donkey Kong become animated feature films courtesy of Illumination Entertainment and Zelda and Metroid as live action films. If done right the films could help create more interest in the area.

Seriously guys, Nintendo's most likely going into USF at this point.

I'd make a large wager that Toon Lagoon gets replaced first. Recycled kiddie crap doesn't get traction online or in commercials. In baseball lingo, it's a single, at best. "Updating" shops, eateries and REAL rides with a theme people actually like? That's at least a double, a triple if they fix everything wrong with Dudley, and a home run if they add Mario Kart to the re-opening line-up. They have an entire row of stuff that can get the Springfield treatment in Toon Lagoon. In KidZone, it's just kiddie attractions. Where will all the new food items be sold? Where will the million new merchandise items be sold? Furthermore, F&F is most likely the next big project, and that's over at USF, and it'll be pretty huge so the focus will move back to IOA.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone remember a Nintendo 64 game called Pokemon Snap? The premise was that you rode in a vehicle photographing various wild Pokemon. I have fond memories of it when I was a kid, and as far as a Pokemon ride goes, this would be a great excuse to make some awesome Pokemon AA's and create a new type of interactive ride experience. The odds of this happening are approximately zero, I'm sure, but it's a fun idea.

I was OBSESSED with this game growing up. But yeah, that's my dream Pokemon ride scenario lol

I'd make a large wager that Toon Lagoon gets replaced first. Recycled kiddie crap doesn't get traction online or in commercials. In baseball lingo, it's a single, at best. "Updating" shops, eateries and REAL rides with a theme people actually like? That's at least a double, a triple if they fix everything wrong with Dudley, and a home run if they add Mario Kart to the re-opening line-up. They have an entire row of stuff that can get the Springfield treatment in Toon Lagoon. In KidZone, it's just kiddie attractions. Where will all the new food items be sold? Where will the million new merchandise items be sold? Furthermore, F&F is most likely the next big project, and that's over at USF, and it'll be pretty huge so the focus will move back to IOA.

Why get rid of Toon lagoon and keep Kid Zone first? Toon Lagoon at least has amazing water rides. The Kid Zone doesn't have jack crap. What I'm saying is they're better off keeping TL for the moment and deciding later on what or if they want to replace it with something else. That old Kid Zone is in the most NEED for something exciting, new and fresh(hence Nintendo).

This is great news. I feel like this can even be bigger than Harry Potter if done right. I would love to see a Lugies Mansion attraction. I loved the GameCube one so much, the soundtrack was great and so was the plot. This commercial was for the DS version.

[video=youtube_share;s8y60saPdaM]http://youtu.be/s8y60saPdaM[/video]

A Luigi's Mansion similar in style to Monsters Inc. Ride 'n Go Seek, where you score by shining your flashlight on Boos would be cool.

monsters_inc.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if this deal is the reason there was the theme change (that I hinted at) to a certain coming coaster a while back.

If I am recalling correctly, I believe you are referring to a retheme of Space Fantasy?

I just have to say I think they might be making a mistake if they limit it to merchandise with Pokemon. I've talked to a substantial group of people, all of whom have brought up Pokemon as their first "YES PLEASE" when I mentioned it. It's a franchise many get extremely excited about...

True, but look at it this way: rumor has popped up again that Uni is planning a third gate. If you split Nintendo like Potter (although most likely there will not be a train to connect them) one of the bigger draws would be Pokemon. Make that an opening day all ages land and you already have money in your bank.

Unless Disney gives them contractual permission to create an Avengers ride, this will NEVER happen. So, basically, this will NEVER happen.

I don't want to derail this thread, but you're wrong. Universal has the contractual obligation to the Avengers already in their existing contract, and Disney can't do anything about it.

http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/showthread.php/9040-MSHI-Expansion

As for Nintendo, it's going into KidZone, but you're thinking too small when you say it's "just going to be rethemed kiddy stuff". This will be a near-fully knockdown and replacement of KidZone. Not just a retheming.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, a retheme of a retheme of space fantasy.

Also, it may not be Space Fantasy. Might be a different Mack concept.

Last edited:
Also, it may not be Space Fantasy. Might be a different Mack concept.

Dueling Mack launched spinning coaster, have it where at moments the two trains are side by side, then suddenly one is launched forward while the other stays behind, then they meet again somewhere else etc.

Dueling Mack launched spinning coaster, have it where at moments the two trains are side by side, then suddenly one is launched forward while the other stays behind, then they meet again somewhere else etc.

I'm picturing a duel coaster track as well.......ride vehicles would spin......half indoor/half outdoor........track would not be visible. I think Mario Kart or Donkey Kong are the most likely "E" ticket.

For some reason I picture a variation of this coaster for Donkey Kong:

GreenLantern01-300x225.jpg