Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 29 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So, I am at a kitty loss. Meow.

Super_mario_3d_world_wii_u_cat_suit.jpg

Nintendo's CEO/President Satoru Iwata commented how the Universal partnership came about in Nintendo's investor Q&A (recently translated into English:

If I can talk a bit more about our just-announced alliance with Universal Parks & Resorts, we first met with them in April last year when I was visiting the U.S. on a business trip. We met with people from NBCUniversal who proposed the possibility of the theme park business to us. Even before then, the possibility of theme park attractions (with Nintendo IP) had become an often-discussed topic in society. Even inside Nintendo, the possibility had been discussed several times. But we had not made this a reality because, on each occasion, the time was not ripe yet or we were not able to find an appropriate partner with whom to work. In the case of our first meeting with Universal Parks & Resorts, they provided us with a very detailed proposal right from the beginning. Also, as we met right after they had opened the Harry Potter attractions, we were able to learn precisely how they had been created. We received a great deal of useful information from the first meeting for us to review if they possessed a corporate culture which would ensure us the ability to license our IP to them and to work well together. Since the proposal was so specific, as soon as I returned to Japan, I informed Mr. Miyamoto, of our company, and told him that I wanted to give positive consideration to it. Since then, we have met with them several times in Japan and in the U.S., and not only me and people who carry out our negotiations but also members from each company's creative side, namely, people who will be assigned to make the actual attractions and Nintendo's game producers who have been creating our games for many years. As a result, we confirmed that we share a lot of common ground between our corporate cultures, and because parts of the proposal made us really excited, we have decided to work together on a long-term basis.

I really think it was an advantage for Universal that their park in Japan is only about an hour away from Nintendo's HQ in Kyoto.

Reactions: SweeneysGalMegz
glad to hear that Universal is taking this partnership just as seriously as Potter. Seems like they knocked their presentation out of the park. Glad to hear that the game designers are actually involved in the decisions. Pretty cool things ahead I would imagine.

As I discussed on the Parkscope podcast last week, this deal shows the power of WWOHP outside of guest spending and attendance increases. Universal Creative's close working relationship with JKR, Gilmore, and Craig, as well as their willingness to respect the IP creator's wishes and vision, have won them partners like Nintendo. That kind of goodwill is hard to get.

Reactions: badlactose
In the case of our first meeting with Universal Parks & Resorts, they provided us with a very detailed proposal right from the beginning. Also, as we met right after they had opened the Harry Potter attractions, we were able to learn precisely how they had been created. We received a great deal of useful information from the first meeting for us to review if they possessed a corporate culture which would ensure us the ability to license our IP to them and to work well together.

Very telling of 1) Universal already having a plan enough to call 'detailed' 2)People noticing the care and time that went into Potter

[video=youtube;z_nZCqX8aI0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_nZCqX8aI0&app=desktop[/video]
I felt like this was appropriate. Number 3 is surprising...

We've talked about princess peach's castle and hyrule castle. What about Bowser's castle? Lava everywhere. A giant Bowser AA.

only way id be ok with MIB closing is if this was replacing it. Would be an awesome shooter.

I totally agree. MiB is one of my favorite rides and would hate to see it go, but this would be a very good replacement. As long as I have an interactive shooter game like MiB but not like TSMM or Buzz I'm happy.

So, this WON'T happen, as the game is a new IP and just coming out in a few weeks, but I think Splatoon could be an awesome ride.

For reference:
[video=youtube;kQsZPYB0vMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kQsZPYB0vMw[/video]

My blue sky idea:

We board trackless ride vehicles, 2 teams of 4 vehicles each, 8 people per car, and 2 different rooms. So 128 people on the ride at once. Capacity would be a nightmare here, which is why this would never happen, but I digress. Back row has ranged weapons and are tasked with firing at the other team. If a car is hit a certain amount of times, it stops for a few seconds. Front row is tasked with covering the area with paint. This would be done with projection mapping on the physical ride space. The two rooms are different "maps", and each team has a different path through those maps. Would be infinitely reride-able, but, again, capacity would definitely be an issue.

I think the ride looks cool. More for Mario Sunshine than Splatoon, but cool none the less.
Something like this. Wtaerpark with a Water Coaster. Use that Vekoma system with a Mario representation or something could be nice.
[video=youtube;FVsJAySi2Ok]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVsJAySi2Ok[/video]

The ride I was thinking of is Jabha Zone (Sorry No Video) in Yas Waterworld. We could very well see something similar if Universal plans to go over the top here in the states.

Last edited:
Ok here are my wishes. I legitimately want nothing more than for universal to grab the fantasyland layout in Disneyland, slap Nintendo all over it and place it in kidzone. Just tons of rides and experiences in every corner themed to different franchises. Especially dark rides, here are some ideas
-Mario dark ride
-luigis mansion haunted house dark ride
-Zelda dark ride
-Star fox simulator (star tours)
-Pokemon boat ride (small world)
-Metroid encounter (alien encounter like show) or simulator
-Pikmin dark ride
-pokemon/Nintendo carousel centerpiece
-f zero
-yoshi playground
-donkey kong coaster
Even the layout in the game nintendoland would work. For Nintendo I don't need anything grand, I don't need huge facades with tons of theming everywhere. What I want most is just a big land with more money being put into the inside than the outside. Tons of rides and content to make it feel like a theme park inside a theme park, like fantasyland in DL. For a concept like Nintendo everybody is gonna be disappointed that they left their one favorite thing out or didn't do this obscure game series, that's because Nintendo is such a gigantic company that has so much lovable history. That's why I think they shouldn't waste their time with giant mini lands and just give us the goods