Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 405 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think Pokemon can fit that need for Kidzone myself. For park 3, I think that LOTR is a big deal, so don't get me wrong. But I don't think it carries a park by itself. You still need a major kid IP. Of what they own themselves, I think Minions is the only one that really fits that, but I really don't know that they will use it in that way. So that leaves Nintendo. Zelda is not that IP. It's just not that big. Pokemon probably can do the job, I just think Mario just does it better.
DreamWorks Animation? You've got Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Trolls, and whatever new franchises they come out now under Comcast. That's more than enough to fill up a family friendly "DreamWorks Land" that the whole family can enjoy.
In the last few months various "insiders" have said that Kidzone is closing right after HHN. Plans have changed and SNW is getting plussed and that Pokemon into the MIB plot is what is happening now. And now we have Chip saying that IOA is getting Nintendo. This can only be Zelda right?

So what's left for park 3?
KidZone has basically been ready to close any moment for ages now. The walls around E.T.'s extended queue, the placement of the Ash vs Evil Dead house during HHN, and KidZone TMs have been told that they're likely to be relocated by the end of the year. This kind of stuff doesn't happen for no reason; KidZone is basically ready to close whenever Uni deems that it's safe to lose the capacity. That can be after HHN, after Christmas, or after F&F opens, it's hard to say.

It was also never definitive that Pokemon was going into the MIB plot. All we knew is that the SNW plans are being plussed after D23, and DH suggested that it might be taking the MIB plot/might be Pokemon. Then WFTV reported that Nintendo is going into IOA and Park 3 as well; meaning Pokemon into one of them, Zelda into the other.

FWIW, I get what you mean by thinking that SNW should be in Park 3. It would be pretty awesome for Mario to be a flagship of a new park. But we also have no idea when that new park is coming; it could be coming 2022, it could be coming later than 2025. I don't think Universal OR Nintendo wants to risk not having Nintendo's flagship IP in the parks in time. Not to mention KidZone has basically been the plan since Day 1. The original leaked plans? KidZone. The permits filed this week? KidZone. Mario is going to be in KidZone.

I think Pokemon can fit that need for Kidzone myself. For park 3, I think that LOTR is a big deal, so don't get me wrong. But I don't think it carries a park by itself. You still need a major kid IP. Of what they own themselves, I think Minions is the only one that really fits that, but I really don't know that they will use it in that way. So that leaves Nintendo. Zelda is not that IP. It's just not that big. Pokemon probably can do the job, I just think Mario just does it better.

As for whats going on in Kidzone now.

In the last few months various "insiders" have said that Kidzone is closing right after HHN. Plans have changed and SNW is getting plussed and that Pokemon into the MIB plot is what is happening now. And now we have Chip saying that IOA is getting Nintendo. This can only be Zelda right?

So what's left for park 3?

I think the only thing above that we can be sure of is that plans have changed. Anyone who actually knows whats going on isn't going to be posting it.
tumblr_no9d35J0qA1rv5j9yo1_500.gif

Reactions: Joel and youhow2
DreamWorks Animation? You've got Shrek, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, How to Train Your Dragon, Trolls, and whatever new franchises they come out now under Comcast. That's more than enough to fill up a family friendly "DreamWorks Land" that the whole family can enjoy.

KidZone has basically been ready to close any moment for ages now. The walls around E.T.'s extended queue, the placement of the Ash vs Evil Dead house during HHN, and KidZone TMs have been told that they're likely to be relocated by the end of the year. This kind of stuff doesn't happen for no reason; KidZone is basically ready to close whenever Uni deems that it's safe to lose the capacity. That can be after HHN, after Christmas, or after F&F opens, it's hard to say.

It was also never definitive that Pokemon was going into the MIB plot. All we knew is that the SNW plans are being plussed after D23, and DH suggested that it might be taking the MIB plot/might be Pokemon. Then WFTV reported that Nintendo is going into IOA and Park 3 as well; meaning Pokemon into one of them, Zelda into the other.

FWIW, I get what you mean by thinking that SNW should be in Park 3. It would be pretty awesome for Mario to be a flagship of a new park. But we also have no idea when that new park is coming; it could be coming 2022, it could be coming later than 2025. I don't think Universal OR Nintendo wants to risk not having Nintendo's flagship IP in the parks in time. Not to mention KidZone has basically been the plan since Day 1. The original leaked plans? KidZone. The permits filed this week? KidZone. Mario is going to be in KidZone.

I'm not suggesting that SNW was never slated for Kidzone. It's clear that the plans were/are for that to happen. I've even said that they could bring the wrecking ball in tomorrow for all we know. I'm just saying that with as much uncertainty has been around the project lately on here(rumors of delays and changes) coupled with the date of the plans suggesting a delay of some sort(even if it was just to revise the engineering), it's not outside the realm of possibility that things have substantially changed. It could be anything from an engineering change to a complete blow up and start over. Theres been suggestions that Osaka's SNW has been delayed based on a lack of progress. If that's also true, that could put them in the timeframe where park 3 is more in the window of practicality. I get wanting to get Mario opened "rightnow". Its a major IP that's not making them any money right now. I'm just future looking and think it just fits so much better in park 3.

As for the Dreamworks IP's, none of them are anchors at this point IMO. 5 years ago Shrek was. Madagascar, KFP, and HTTYD never were huge. Decent midrange IP's, but not anything you tie anything more than a ride to, and all are on their way downhill or past their prime. Trolls is an interesting case as it's got huge merch numbers, I just can't get behind it as an anchor. That might be just personal preference though. But even if you combine all of the Dreamworks IP's into a land, its just a hodgepodge and not an anchor. They aren't going to make any of them as a park weenie. Mario on the other hand can give them that. In USF, Mario will always play second fiddle to Potter.

That all being said, we are on the verge of beating a dead horse with this discussion. We are all entitled to our opinions. At some point, they will start tearing stuff down, or do another press release and we will know. Until then, it's all speculation.

Reactions: Nico
I'm not suggesting that SNW was never slated for Kidzone. It's clear that the plans were/are for that to happen. I've even said that they could bring the wrecking ball in tomorrow for all we know. I'm just saying that with as much uncertainty has been around the project lately on here(rumors of delays and changes) coupled with the date of the plans suggesting a delay of some sort(even if it was just to revise the engineering), it's not outside the realm of possibility that things have substantially changed. It could be anything from an engineering change to a complete blow up and start over. Theres been suggestions that Osaka's SNW has been delayed based on a lack of progress. If that's also true, that could put them in the timeframe where park 3 is more in the window of practicality. I get wanting to get Mario opened "rightnow". Its a major IP that's not making them any money right now. I'm just future looking and think it just fits so much better in park 3.

As for the Dreamworks IP's, none of them are anchors at this point IMO. 5 years ago Shrek was. Madagascar, KFP, and HTTYD never were huge. Decent midrange IP's, but not anything you tie anything more than a ride to, and all are on their way downhill or past their prime. Trolls is an interesting case as it's got huge merch numbers, I just can't get behind it as an anchor. That might be just personal preference though. But even if you combine all of the Dreamworks IP's into a land, its just a hodgepodge and not an anchor. They aren't going to make any of them as a park weenie. Mario on the other hand can give them that. In USF, Mario will always play second fiddle to Potter.

That all being said, we are on the verge of beating a dead horse with this discussion. We are all entitled to our opinions. At some point, they will start tearing stuff down, or do another press release and we will know. Until then, it's all speculation.

He does kinda have a point

Reactions: WAJAS and Paulio
What’s the anchor for Epcot,AK, and DHS?

Depends on what you mean by anchor.

If you mean icon then: MK is the castle, EPCOT is Spaceship Earth, DHS is ?, AK is Tree of Life

If you mean attraction: MK is ? (There’s plenty of great rides but no stand alone), Epcot is Spaceship Earth, DHS is Tower of Terror and AK is Everest.

Reactions: Joel
What’s the anchor for Epcot,AK, and DHS?

What year? I mean today, I see EPCOT as food and wine, after 4 club for locals? It was rather different when WDW was two parks.

AK was pushed as naughtazoo, not sure if it ever kicked it, but it is still (to me) about the animals, maybe the planet as a side note.

DHS, when opened, was about a five hour tram ride...I dunno, I recall when it opened (I was younger than), I had no clue what they were going for but there was not enough to do back then...

What year? I mean today, I see EPCOT as food and wine, after 4 club for locals? It was rather different when WDW was two parks.

AK was pushed as naughtazoo, not sure if it ever kicked it, but it is still (to me) about the animals, maybe the planet as a side note.

DHS, when opened, was about a five hour tram ride...I dunno, I recall when it opened (I was younger than), I had no clue what they were going for but there was not enough to do back then...

Since DHS was born out of an existing ride idea for Epcot...it was literally the anchor for a new park as Eisner decided he wanted to make that the centerpiece of (then) Disney MGM Studios

Reactions: Frank Drackman
Since DHS was born out of an existing ride idea for Epcot...it was literally the anchor for a new park as Eisner decided he wanted to make that the centerpiece of (then) Disney MGM Studios

and then they ripped out the Earful Tower...I guess we are talking more centerpiece or something and not really the anchor?!?

No park has an “anchor IP.” The whole point is that each park has multiple IPs and ideas.

That’s why a lot of the “We need [insert IP] to anchor the next park” is silly. The park is going to have a variety of IPs because not a single IP will cater to everyone.

The list of possible “IPs” for the next park is any idea that’s not already present or will be present. They are:

LotR
Dreamworks (all)
Illumination (all)
Laika (all)
Nintendo (anything that’s not in Studios or Islands)
Potter (see above)
Monsters
Wicked/Wizard of Oz
Christmas
Star Trek (if they have rights)
Plus...

ANYTHING ELSE THEY CAN SECURE OR THINK OF!!!

Can we stop prognosticating on what has to be where based on what we expect from an unannounced park? We know what’s coming to the Studios because 1) Insiders have told us, and 2) It’s what’s going into all the other Studios too.

So no big IP anchor at any of those places. So the new park doesn’t need it either.

I agree whole heartily....but those where born in a different time....Disney has awoken to the power of the franchise and (I think) Comcast is aware that they are better off building a lot of A to Z out of their own content...hence you see things like Dreamworks, Marvel, Lucus...all content that folks want to own as content is King these days.

But I agree, they could easily build on new ideas to build new franchises....but these days. I guess it is easier to just buy it?!?!