Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 509 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But...I would guess that labor & material costs are quite higher in Japan, plus the substantial earthquake/environmental codes present. Construction is costly in Japan. That also needs to be factored in.
Yeah for sure, I'd expect the minimum spend requirement to be somewhere around $200 million on each of the main SNWs under the contract terms. Of course, all 3 of them will come in well above that, so it's basically a moot point. Just basically requiring that there's no "cheap reskins" under the contract terms.

Pokemon and Zelda are probably not included in those terms so their spending ranges will be different since their lands are technically expansions (even if they're built first).

The best order in terms of drawing people multiple times, would be Zelda, Pokemon, Mario. You do the least popular first, to get the pent up demand money. Then the 2nd most pop will get all the fans of that IP. Some of which will be ones who came the first time. Save the biggest for last, and you get everyone, some of which will be the 2nd and 3rd visit. You do them any other order and the last to open will not get the crowds that they would by doing them before Mario.
That makes sense, but then it'd require Zelda in LC to be ready around 2021, is that feasible? They'd probably have to start that this year...

Reactions: Mad Dog and fryoj
But...I would guess that labor & material costs are quite higher in Japan, plus the substantial earthquake/environmental codes present. Construction is costly in Japan. That also needs to be factored in.

I think LA would have similar earthquake codes plus Orlando will need to be hurricane proof and building on a swamp will provide its own challenges.

That makes sense, but then it'd require Zelda in LC to be ready around 2021, is that feasible? They'd probably have to start that this year...

It's technically doable. They closed Jaws in January 2012 and Diagon was open 2 1/2 years later. Using that timetable they could wait till as long as till after the Holidays and do 2021. Now will they, or should they is a whole other question.

One thing to consider. I really can't see them giving all LC to Zelda anyway. It's around 7 acres. That's huge. Thats bigger than DA, Hogsmede(minus the DC plot), or depending on what you count as usable area it's even as big as KidZone. No way Zelda deserves that much land. If it's going to LC at all, I think they split it and do part Zelda, and part something else. Now does that mean more Nintendo, Seuss expansion, a Kong-like situation for a one off ride/area, or even just kept partially LC till another idea comes along. So if you only do part of LC, then the timetable isn't as tight.

It's technically doable. They closed Jaws in January 2012 and Diagon was open 2 1/2 years later. Using that timetable they could wait till as long as till after the Holidays and do 2021. Now will they, or should they is a whole other question.

One thing to consider. I really can't see them giving all LC to Zelda anyway. It's around 7 acres. That's huge. Thats bigger than DA, Hogsmede(minus the DC plot), or depending on what you count as usable area it's even as big as KidZone. No way Zelda deserves that much land. If it's going to LC at all, I think they split it and do part Zelda, and part something else. Now does that mean more Nintendo, Seuss expansion, a Kong-like situation for a one off ride/area, or even just kept partially LC till another idea comes along. So if you only do part of LC, then the timetable isn't as tight.
JP first. Then Zelda.

Japan construction costs should be the most expensive as they face issues both Florida and California face however they aren't getting DK which we are getting.

At this point I'm okay with waiting for anything as they keep getting bigger and better. A land where I can't see everything and discover despite visiting 3 days in a row is a great land.

Reactions: Mad Dog

Curious...have you played any Zelda games? One of the best aspects is the varied locations and expansive nature.

Curious...have you played any Zelda games? One of the best aspects is the varied locations and expansive nature.

It's not about source material. We can sit here and rattle off IP's that would make neat lands and rides all day long and almost none of them would ever get a ride, let alone a whole area. It's about amount of land versus ROI. Zelda will only draw a small fraction of what Potter does, so to give it more land than either Potter area makes very little sense. 7+ acres and we are talking about how much land they are giving Mario and DK combined. Once again, can you justify giving Zelda that much land?

It's not about source material. We can sit here and rattle off IP's that would make neat lands and rides all day long and almost none of them would ever get a ride, let alone a whole area. It's about amount of land versus ROI. Zelda will only draw a small fraction of what Potter does, so to give it more land than either Potter area makes very little sense. 7+ acres and we are talking about how much land they are giving Mario and DK combined. Once again, can you justify giving Zelda that much land?

Popeye, Gasoline Alley, and Dudley Do Right have more land than that.

I think “deserves” means little. As long as it’s a great land, it deserves whatever it gets.

Reactions: Jones14 and Mike S
Are you trying to say that a fairly popular IP (Zelda) shouldn't get a 7 acre land because a very popular IP (Potter) has 7 acres (Hogsmeade) + 7 acres (Diagon) + 6 acres (New Coaster) = 20 acres?

Reactions: Mike S
Popeye, Gasoline Alley, and Dudley Do Right have more land than that.
Not to mention this is the same park that gives more land than that to Toon Lagoon.

You mean the land that Comcast didn't have anything to do with building and is frequently mentioned as on the chopping block?

I think “deserves” means little. As long as it’s a great land, it deserves whatever it gets.

Are you trying to say that a fairly popular IP (Zelda) shouldn't get a 7 acre land because a very popular IP (Potter) has 7 acres (Hogsmeade) + 7 acres (Diagon) + 6 acres (New Coaster) = 20 acres?

Zelda will never do a third of the business HP does. I'd argue that giving those 7 acres to Potter would make them more money than giving it all to Zelda. Not that they should do that either.

Are you saying Zelda is as popular as Mario and DK combined? They were in the 7 acre range in Kidzone.

Or more popular and has more food/merch potential than Transformers, the Minions franchise, The Simpsons, or Fast & Furious(merch still a question on this one)?

Land is at a premium at UOR. Why give Nintendo's third level IP 7 acres when you can give it 3 or 4, which will still draw the Zelda fans, and still have 3 or 4 acres for another IP that will draw other fans?

I'm a firm believer experience and translation into immersive land>>> IP popularity, so I do think Zelda could be a much larger land. Zelda's main theme is adventure and exploring. Most the game, you are exploring duengons, towns, forests, etc so an expansive land covering that makes a lot more sense.

Also, just because an IP is smaller in popularity to something else doesn't make it less valuable. I can argue Call of Duty and GTA are more popular than Zelda stateside but I can assure you Zelda is way more beneficial for a theme park than those two IPs despite their popularity

Zelda will never do a third of the business HP does. I'd argue that giving those 7 acres to Potter would make them more money than giving it all to Zelda. Not that they should do that either.

Are you saying Zelda is as popular as Mario and DK combined? They were in the 7 acre range in Kidzone.

Or more popular and has more food/merch potential than Transformers, the Minions franchise, The Simpsons, or Fast & Furious(merch still a question on this one)?

Land is at a premium at UOR. Why give Nintendo's third level IP 7 acres when you can give it 3 or 4, which will still draw the Zelda fans, and still have 3 or 4 acres for another IP that will draw other fans?

Zelda is definitely not as popular as Mario and DK combined. But I also think that Mario/DK should get 12-15 acres as a headliner of park 3, not 7 acres in Kidzone.

I think a well developed Zelda land could move similar food/merch as Transformers and F&F. Minions should have a larger area than it does for its popularity. The problem is that if we use food/merch as our standard for allocating land then ET, MIB, and Mummy are all very bad uses of space given that they are larger in area than the IP's you listed.

I don't necessarily think that Zelda should be a 7 acre land. If it was me I would be making it a 5-6 acre land with 2 attractions. I do think it should get more than 3-4 acres to really be done well though. Given the current layout of lost continent I'm also unsure how feasible it really is to split it up into two 3-4 acre lands.

Also, let’s step back and look at the huge successful cash cow of a land that just opened last year in Orlando based on a single movie everyone claims no one remembers.

I think Zelda will be just fine as a 7 acre land.

Also, let’s step back and look at the huge successful cash cow of a land that just opened last year in Orlando based on a single movie everyone claims no one remembers.

I think Zelda will be just fine as a 7 acre land.
Avatar isn't successful because of it's IP. It's successful because it's at WDW and WDW fans are starved for content.

Avatar isn't successful because of it's IP. It's successful because it's at WDW and WDW fans are starved for content.
It’s also successful because it’s a great area with a great main attraction and merchandise and food people want. If Zelda follows that then once again IP shouldn’t matter. In my experience I’ve seen plenty of typical tourists in the area that are the furthest thing from your typical fans.

BTW the point I was making was if this is the turnout for Avatar what do you think it would be like for Zelda that actually has a much more sizable and dedicated fan base?

Edit: you guys seriously have a problem giving Disney any sort of credit.

Last edited:
I mean... I agree with your overall point, but Avatar made 3 billion dollars. That's certainly more money than the Zelda series has sold overall. But again, I see your point. :lol:

I mean... I agree with your overall point, but Avatar made 3 billion dollars. That's certainly more money than the Zelda series has sold overall. But again, I see your point. :lol:
Zelda has sold over 80 million copies over its lifespan not to mention merchandise over all 30 of those years. Let’s not forget a game is significantly more expensive than a movie ticket and I think it’s safe to say it’s a more successful IP than Avatar.

A 7 acre Zelda land won’t be as big as the biggest IPs Uni has but it will bring in enough for a great return.