Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 599 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Cause I feel like this thread has scattered into every other related thread, let's talk Nintendo IP!
With regards to future Nintendo IP, I'm not really sure how much deeper Universal even digs into Nintendo's IP catalog if we were to assume that eventually we see Zelda at IOA and Pokémon at USF? That would cover all of Nintendo's most popular franchises with a land at each of the 3 parks similar to Potter.

The last obvious area to build more Nintendo is the expansion pad in EU between Mario and Monsters. But that would get you 1 land or 2 mini lands to put whatever remaining Nintendo you want in it. That I'm not really sure we would see many B-tier franchises like Metroid or Kirby ever come to the resort unless we end up getting a 4th park in Orlando one day?
Pokémon is a much more solid IP than Zelda. It would be very silly for Uni to build a land based on the latter and not the former.
Agreed. I'm sure Pokemon is coming, and it would honestly be best saved for USF given it's longstanding multimedia nature compared to the other Nintendo franchises, and for just how popular it would be. Pokemon and Diagon would do a lot for that park all by themselves.

Animal Crossing is popular and has definitely grown in cultural awareness since 2020, but I'm hesitant to call it an A-Lister until the next mainline game drops. I'm incredibly curious to see how much of New Horizon's success was time and place, and how much Nintendo was able to capitalize on the popularity to make the success last past the fad.

I think the most we'll see of either AC or Kirby is temporary attractions for a Nintendo equivalent to Potter Celebration like meet and greets or live shows, or merch in a Nintendo Store FL/HW. Same with the rest outside of Mario/DK/LM, Pokemon, and Zelda.

It's worth noting that Kirby was a part of those original Kidzone pitches to Nintendo, so as of 2015-17 Kirby was considered a possibility for flat rides or kiddie attractions to some extent. That's why I say the best chance for AC/Kirby/Splatoon is if the Fresco park does well and they build other Legoland-tier parks with more varied IP.

Cause I feel like this thread has scattered into every other related thread, let's talk Nintendo IP!

Agreed. I'm sure Pokemon is coming, and it would honestly be best saved for USF given it's longstanding multimedia nature compared to the other Nintendo franchises, and for just how popular it would be. Pokemon and Diagon would do a lot for that park all by themselves.

Animal Crossing is popular and has definitely grown in cultural awareness since 2020, but I'm hesitant to call it an A-Lister until the next mainline game drops. I'm incredibly curious to see how much of New Horizon's success was time and place, and how much Nintendo was able to capitalize on the popularity to make the success last past the fad.

I think the most we'll see of either AC or Kirby is temporary attractions for a Nintendo equivalent to Potter Celebration like meet and greets or live shows, or merch in a Nintendo Store FL/HW. Same with the rest outside of Mario/DK/LM, Pokemon, and Zelda.

It's worth noting that Kirby was a part of those original Kidzone pitches to Nintendo, so as of 2015-17 Kirby was considered a possibility for flat rides or kiddie attractions to some extent. That's why I say the best chance for AC/Kirby/Splatoon is if the Fresco park does well and they build other Legoland-tier parks with more varied IP.

Yeah outside of the core group of Mario (and friends), Pokémon, and Zelda I'm not really sure if we will see much more Nintendo at Universal Orlando in terms of the "endgame" for this collaboration when it's all said and done. Never say never I guess since I wouldn't have expected Potter expansions to last this long either. But I assume that what we will see happen is Zelda at IOA, Pokémon at USF, and then SNW at EU uses that expansion land and that will be it for Nintendo.

The wildcard to me is what would fill in the Nintendo expansion at EU? The talk of Luigi's Mansion would make sense as another mini land in similar size to Donkey Kong, but after that you'd still have enough room left for 1 final Nintendo mini land too I would think. What would seem the most logical use of the remaining expansion is another location from the "Mario universe" like Donkey Kong and Luigi's Mansion are, but at the same time I feel like there really isn't anything left there that's as big a name to cover? You would have covered the main Mario series alongside the Mario Kart, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Luigi's Mansion offshoot series. So I could see them plug in an Animal Crossing or Kirby mini land in there as the "last" Nintendo area even if it would be a weird transition to stick it in the midst of the other areas based on the Mario world. (Not that it would stop them from doing it of course lol)

Yeah outside of the core group of Mario (and friends), Pokémon, and Zelda I'm not really sure if we will see much more Nintendo at Universal Orlando in terms of the "endgame" for this collaboration when it's all said and done. Never say never I guess since I wouldn't have expected Potter expansions to last this long either. But I assume that what we will see happen is Zelda at IOA, Pokémon at USF, and then SNW at EU uses that expansion land and that will be it for Nintendo.

The wildcard to me is what would fill in the Nintendo expansion at EU? The talk of Luigi's Mansion would make sense as another mini land in similar size to Donkey Kong, but after that you'd still have enough room left for 1 final Nintendo mini land too I would think. What would seem the most logical use of the remaining expansion is another location from the "Mario universe" like Donkey Kong and Luigi's Mansion are, but at the same time I feel like there really isn't anything left there that's as big a name to cover? You would have covered the main Mario series alongside the Mario Kart, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Luigi's Mansion offshoot series. So I could see them plug in an Animal Crossing or Kirby mini land in there as the "last" Nintendo area even if it would be a weird transition to stick it in the midst of the other areas based on the Mario world. (Not that it would stop them from doing it of course lol)
USH still has the space for some Nintendo expansion behind their SNW after DK got canned. Maybe whatever takes the slot of DK at USH could be cloned to EU as one of the Nintendo mini lands. But they go also go the other route and make USH's SNW expansion exclusive to that park.

USH still has the space for some Nintendo expansion behind their SNW after DK got canned. Maybe whatever takes the slot of DK at USH could be cloned to EU as one of the Nintendo mini lands. But they go also go the other route and make USH's SNW expansion exclusive to that park.

USH does not have the space for a SNW expansion next to it like what was insinuated.

If it happens, it would need to be away from the main land itself, be somewhere else in the LL; or somewhere else at all in the park.

USH does not have the space for a SNW expansion next to it like what was insinuated.

If it happens, it would need to be away from the main land itself, be somewhere else in the LL; or somewhere else at all in the park.
Just curious aren't those soundstage where DK was thought to originally go still slated for demolition?

I dunno what's what with USH, cause I can see a situation with Nintendo already being "complete" at that park too. But I do wonder if USJ ends up getting 1 final Nintendo ride after Pokémon (sorry Jaws...) whether that could plug the last spot for a Nintendo attraction at EU. (Assuming USJ does something not already rumored for Orlando like Zelda or Luigi)

Like if Japan were to get Animal Crossing maybe bringing that over is the last step for filling out Nintendo at EU?

I guess when thinking of what would be "next in line" in terms of popularity after Mario/Pokemon/Zelda, my hunch is that Animal Crossing and Kirby would be the next most recognizable franchises to a US audience. Both of those have grown in sales substantially outside of Japan with their latest games. AC in particular became a global phenomenon although it was absolutely boosted in sales by its timing to the pandemic, so I can see the argument for waiting for the next AC game just to see how much of that audience Nintendo can retain.

It seems most reasonable its one of those two though. Splatoon is a phenomenon in Japan but is still a small franchise in the rest of the world, Metroid is popular with US adult gamers but niche to a broader public, and Pikmin doesn't have anything going for it besides being Miyamoto's nepotism baby.

I dunno what's what with USH, cause I can see a situation with Nintendo already being "complete" at that park too.
I don't inheritably discredit Nintendo's future at USH--hell, we're right now gearing up to open a brand new dining venue outside the land in New York Street (and it was once planned for a time of NintendoLA). But if it happens; at all--I would bet a buck it won't be a new land but it'd be a standalone attraction.

Just curious aren't those soundstage where DK was thought to originally go still slated for demolition?
The rumors had consistently been in the past of Soundstages 7-11; which have not been the soundstages at all earmarked for demolition. There is also the element of the fire road, and that if they had planned on expansion within that of Super Nintendo World; then it would've been built into it like Osaka's.
I guess when thinking of what would be "next in line" in terms of popularity after Mario/Pokemon/Zelda, my hunch is that Animal Crossing and Kirby would be the next most recognizable franchises to a US audience. Both of those have grown in sales substantially outside of Japan with their latest games. AC in particular became a global phenomenon although it was absolutely boosted in sales by its timing to the pandemic, so I can see the argument for waiting for the next AC game just to see how much of that audience Nintendo can retain.

It seems most reasonable its one of those two though. Splatoon is a phenomenon in Japan but is still a small franchise in the rest of the world, Metroid is popular with US adult gamers but niche to a broader public, and Pikmin doesn't have anything going for it besides being Miyamoto's nepotism baby.
Oddly--I think Splatoon might actually be the most viable here after Zelda and Pokemon. With how each title keeps building it's momentum in sales and audiences--It would be more "Kid-Friendly" than Metroid, and has a variability that feels natural to expand upon.

Reactions: BriefCasey
Oddly--I think Splatoon might actually be the most viable here after Zelda and Pokemon. With how each title keeps building it's momentum in sales and audiences--It would be more "Kid-Friendly" than Metroid, and has a variability that feels natural to expand upon.

I disagree on Splatoon having positive momentum building its audience outside Japan. I think Splatoon 3 regressed the franchise's popularity in the US.

Splatoon 2 sold around 13.5 million copies globally and Splatoon 3 is currently sitting behind it at around 11 million copies. But it's important to note that over 60% of Splatoon 3's sales came from Japan alone (extremely lopsided by Nintendo standards that investors were asking them about this) where it has already outsold Splatoon 2's lifetime run in that country by over a million copies. Meaning the remaining gap between 2 and 3's global totals is entirely because 3 is behind 2's sales outside Japan.

Just to illustrate, Nintendo games that otherwise sold less than Splatoon 3's global sales and released in 2022 alongside it like Kirby and the Forgotten Land and Switch Sports have managed to actually outsell Splatoon 3 in the US per last year's NPD/Circana report.

If Pokemon and Zelda in some form can't make it to USH then....IDK

Pokemon is the big one, you want that merch in EVERY park you can.

I hope Universal theme parks win over the studio at USH, like I'm sorry but most movies are filmed off site or at least they never talk on the tour about what the studio is being used for so rather the space be used for something for the parks over more sound stages that could be build anywhere.

Also Animal Crossing a cafe would be perfect, same goes for Kirby. I just hope we see more Nintendo in the parks soonish over...like 5-10 years. Nintendo is hot right now, strike while the iron is hot

If Pokemon and Zelda in some form can't make it to USH then....IDK

Pokemon is the big one, you want that merch in EVERY park you can.

I hope Universal theme parks win over the studio at USH, like I'm sorry but most movies are filmed off site or at least they never talk on the tour about what the studio is being used for so rather the space be used for something for the parks over more sound stages that could be build anywhere.

Also Animal Crossing a cafe would be perfect, same goes for Kirby. I just hope we see more Nintendo in the parks soonish over...like 5-10 years. Nintendo is hot right now, strike while the iron is hot
If more Nintendo were to make its way to USH, Zelda sounds like it could go in Falls Lake and Pokemon can replace Simpsons or Transformers. The Mummy plot and SS 16-24 should IMO be saved for a non Nintendo IP.

like I'm sorry but most movies are filmed off site or at least they never talk on the tour about what the studio is being used for so rather the space be used for something for the parks over more sound stages that could be build anywhere.
I can assure you the soundstages get a lot of use, even if not by tentpole Universal produced films.

I personally like that the space is a studio first and a theme park second. That’s what makes it special.

I can assure you the soundstages get a lot of use, even if not by tentpole Universal produced films.

I personally like that the space is a studio first and a theme park second. That’s what makes it special.
The Numbers don't lie

Look at the years with attendance bumps it's SNW and Potter, not adding onto the studio or the tram.

I'm not saying stopping filming, but if we the guests can't see where things are filmed.....then to me it's pointless. In this big room many things are filmed, we can't really tell you what or let you see them but believe me things are going on

Sound Stages can be built anywhere and would be very pro a few of them moving off site if it means more attractions for normal people to get to see. USH also built a lot of new Sound Stages over the past 5 years, so right now they have more then ever so removing a few to add more theme park would only affect really the studios bottom line and....I'm more for area's that bring joy to people vs just money.

I'm also saying bring Nintendo because they can then make buckets of money and it wont be like the space is not being used...if Zelda and Pokemon lands were just as packed as SNW then I would say it's more then a fair trade and WE the guests get the better end of the deal because we'd get two new E ticket attractions plus whatever other new tech Universal has planeed for these lands....

I think SNW is gen one of what Nintendo wants to do I bet each new land based on the Major games will try to outdo the last. Look at DK land, like it's amazing and the ride is even more unique then MK, so I have faith that if Nintendo got more land in USH it would be next level stuff and not just more of the same

The Numbers don't lie

Look at the years with attendance bumps it's SNW and Potter, not adding onto the studio or the tram.

I'm not saying stopping filming, but if we the guests can't see where things are filmed.....then to me it's pointless. In this big room many things are filmed, we can't really tell you what or let you see them but believe me things are going on

Sound Stages can be built anywhere and would be very pro a few of them moving off site if it means more attractions for normal people to get to see. USH also built a lot of new Sound Stages over the past 5 years, so right now they have more then ever so removing a few to add more theme park would only affect really the studios bottom line and....I'm more for area's that bring joy to people vs just money.

I'm also saying bring Nintendo because they can then make buckets of money and it wont be like the space is not being used...if Zelda and Pokemon lands were just as packed as SNW then I would say it's more then a fair trade and WE the guests get the better end of the deal because we'd get two new E ticket attractions plus whatever other new tech Universal has planeed for these lands....

I think SNW is gen one of what Nintendo wants to do I bet each new land based on the Major games will try to outdo the last. Look at DK land, like it's amazing and the ride is even more unique then MK, so I have faith that if Nintendo got more land in USH it would be next level stuff and not just more of the same

Okay, but they're not going to do that, at least not at the scale you are proposing.

Okay, but they're not going to do that, at least not at the scale you are proposing.
Maybe? But who knows

We just have no clue at USH what's next....here rumors used to fly around but since SNW....its all gotten quiet
People here claim its because the studio and theme park are talking about what to do next. If they don't need to take away sound stages and use the Tram area to Falls Lake then cool but I could for sure see Transformers and the area around/behind it becoming Pokemon if the rumors of Spiderman in Japan are true.

I'm not calling for many stages even to be taken away the 3 that have been rumored since before SNW.

The Numbers don't lie

I’ll be honest (as someone who works on the lot semi-frequently) the studio and the park don’t care if you see what’s being filmed, we kind of don’t want you to whether it’s because of NDA’s like when I was on Black Panther, or because guests will disrupt our day. To be fair, we do give semi priority to trams cuz the park makes a boatload of money too.
They are making loads of money from whatever is there whether or not you can see it. They’ll probably never move facilities offsite, it just creates a logistical mess. Warner Bros. moved their lamp dock (Set Lighting Rentals) off site years ago and it’s a train wreck. If you move stages off site, now you have to take set walls, lighting and grip equipment, signs, props, costumes and so many other vital aspects of filmmaking, from the lot to wherever they would find an offsite space for stages or a backlot.

It would not fly in this town.

Now, it’s very obvious USH has basically tagged parts of the studio that are outdated and ready for removal, but all replacements will stay (and are planned to stay) on property.

What is earmarked for removal would already essentially double the size of the lower lot, and will take a long time for them to fill out. I don’t think the discussion for more removal of studio assets should be taking place for another decade or so.

I’ll be honest (as someone who works on the lot semi-frequently) the studio and the park don’t care if you see what’s being filmed, we kind of don’t want you to whether it’s because of NDA’s like when I was on Black Panther, or because guests will disrupt our day. To be fair, we do give semi priority to trams cuz the park makes a boatload of money too.
They are making loads of money from whatever is there whether or not you can see it. They’ll probably never move facilities offsite, it just creates a logistical mess. Warner Bros. moved their lamp dock (Set Lighting Rentals) off site years ago and it’s a train wreck. If you move stages off site, now you have to take set walls, lighting and grip equipment, signs, props, costumes and so many other vital aspects of filmmaking, from the lot to wherever they would find an offsite space for stages or a backlot.

It would not fly in this town.

Now, it’s very obvious USH has basically tagged parts of the studio that are outdated and ready for removal, but all replacements will stay (and are planned to stay) on property.

What is earmarked for removal would already essentially double the size of the lower lot, and will take a long time for them to fill out. I don’t think the discussion for more removal of studio assets should be taking place for another decade or so.
Ohhh man, well that sucks

Maybe somehow they will start moving the Tram area before 10 years because if not...it's going to be a slow decade before the park is allowed to truly grow then

As for filming and the studios not caring about you seeing it, cool but it's boring to guests to be unable to see "newer" sets or anything. I want to see parts of the backlot like the BTTF set and think of that film, I'll take sets like the Nope set that was moved here but....it's just boring to see the same old sets when back in the day they used to have open houses that let you see brand new sets like from Small Soldiers and what not

Ohhh man, well that sucks

Maybe somehow they will start moving the Tram area before 10 years because if not...it's going to be a slow decade before the park is allowed to truly grow then

As for filming and the studios not caring about you seeing it, cool but it's boring to guests to be unable to see "newer" sets or anything. I want to see parts of the backlot like the BTTF set and think of that film, I'll take sets like the Nope set that was moved here but....it's just boring to see the same old sets when back in the day they used to have open houses that let you see brand new sets like from Small Soldiers and what not
It’s boring to you. I would never assume you’re speaking for all guests. Cause that would be crazy.

It’s boring to you. I would never assume you’re speaking for all guests. Cause that would be crazy.
To local's I think I can safely say that adding newer sets or have a set that is there for a year or two and changes would increase the ride value to the park

How many times can you go on the Tram and hear the same info? I'm fine with staples but it's a movie studio and outside Nope the other newest film they talk about is Once Upon a time in Hollywood...and that's a few years old

I just went with my aunt who hasn't gone since the 80's so yeah it was all new to her but....locals which are the live blood of the park, I wish we got more or at least change the clips shown.

I hope the 60th can refresh some of it but the Tram needs something in it that can always been changed, so we can hear about New films.

But the fact that many days they try to push you on the tram because it's not getting the lines it used to shows....that the audiences are changing and I hope they can do something to keep the Tram always feeling new over what is the normal which is something added every like 5+ years and nothing.