Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

No More Dishes at Florean Fortescue

All I can say is that, at the new price point, it's very likely I'll end up pulling the trigger on a souvenir glass... which it seems is what Universal wants. Getting to eat the ice cream via my preferred method and receiving a (cheap, yes) souvenir is something that I can justify spending an extra $2+ on. I've got a collection of theme park drinkware, so sure, why not add another piece.

Obviously, I'd still rather they have the simple paper cup option, but I just can't pass up the strawberry and peanut butter if I'm there.

All I can say is that, at the new price point, it's very likely I'll end up pulling the trigger on a souvenir glass... which it seems is what Universal wants. Getting to eat the ice cream via my preferred method and receiving a (cheap, yes) souvenir is something that I can justify spending an extra $2+ on. I've got a collection of theme park drinkware, so sure, why not add another piece.

Obviously, I'd still rather they have the simple paper cup option, but I just can't pass up the strawberry and peanut butter if I'm there.
Ah, but here's the thing... you go once, get that souvenir, add to your collection, all good. But after that, when you get ice cream, you no longer need to keep adding the same thing over and over again. So more than likely that souvenir you just paid for is going to end up in the trash at one point or another.

This really doesn't solve any problem other than helping UOR's bottom line.

Because, to be blunt, those "souvenir glasses" that the ice cream comes in at Toothsome is such cheap plastic that it's not even worth saving as a keepsake. If I can't put it in the dishwasher, I have no use for said product for repeat usage.
Doesn't it just have a cheap sticker on it?

Ah, but here's the thing... you go once, get that souvenir, add to your collection, all good. But after that, when you get ice cream, you no longer need to keep adding the same thing over and over again. So more than likely that souvenir you just paid for is going to end up in the trash at one point or another.

I'll cross that bridge two trips from now in 2022 or whenever it ends up happening! By that point, they may be back to paper cups!

Yeah that’s exactly it. If I’m on a once every so often vacation I would easily shrug this off and might even like having the souvenir cup. As a local though just getting ice cream on one of many regular visits to the park it’s not a special occasion and so it’s harder to justify the price difference and then the plastic cup just becomes a nuisance or trash.

Yeah that’s exactly it. If I’m on a once every so often vacation I would easily shrug this off and might even like having the souvenir cup. As a local though just getting ice cream on one of many regular visits to the park it’s not a special occasion and so it’s harder to justify the price difference and then the plastic cup just becomes a nuisance or trash.
Exactly. If I can't have a paper cup at Fortescue's, I'll just go to Ben and Jerry's. Better ice cream anyway, notwithstanding my love for the earl grey and chili chocolate combo.

You can still get a paper cup in Hogsmeade — Of course these are pre-packed with a lid, but, they are the same cups.

View attachment 9654
Wonder if that'll change soon. None of this bothers me, as I have a staunch stance eating Butterbeer ice cream from a cone when I get ice cream here, but I can see how many will be affected by this change.

Wonder if that'll change soon. None of this bothers me, as I have a staunch stance eating Butterbeer ice cream from a cone when I get ice cream here, but I can see how many will be affected by this change.
They’re prefilled cause if they had to scoop it fresh the whole thing would melt in the 100 degree sun as soon as they opened the lid to the freezer. When you buy a cup they reach in grab it and close the freezer fast. No time open. No scooping. No souvenir cup. I don’t see this changing for the outside cart due to the sun. Oh mighty hot death sun.

It’s been a long day.

They’re prefilled cause if they had to scoop it fresh the whole thing would melt in the 100 degree sun as soon as they opened the lid to the freezer. When you buy a cup they reach in grab it and close the freezer fast. No time open. No scooping. No souvenir cup. I don’t see this changing for the outside cart due to the sun. Oh mighty hot death sun.

It’s been a long day.
True.

As somebody who always orders a dish, I do not appreciate this change.

My whole family gets dishes. So that's $4.99 X 4, and usually 3 or 4 times on our trip because I am addicted to the butterbeer ice cream.

Now we will not get it nearly as often, based on principle. I'm all about throwing money at universal, and do it all the time, but when they are overtly just jacking us for bucks, I give up stuff I want and definitely don't need. I see us getting it twice, maybe, instead of 4 times.

Before: $80. After the change, assuming we get waffle cones: $44. Actually, after totaling that up, I think we'll eat less of it going forward no matter what!

But overall this may work out because many people only get it once. And will pay the extra $1.

It's a bad sign, though- that level of nickel & diming. Great way to lose the ground they have been gaining on the mouse.

We didn't stop for ice cream for the first time ever on a trip, just because of this. Just two people, but maybe more will think the same. And....we dislike carrying anything around the parks that don't fit in our pockets, so souvenir cups for any purpose, are off the agenda. ...and in that heat this week, seems like many with the cones had ice cream everywhere but in their mouths. And this week will be worst.

You know I’m weird. I always get the cone anyway, but I eat it with a spoon. Then eat the cone after all the ice cream is gone. Again, I’m weird. But, at least there’s no drippy mess this way.
There were a few doing the same as you, spooning it out of the cone. That works OK, and when those temps hit high 90's all this week, that will probably be the only good method.

You know I’m weird. I always get the cone anyway, but I eat it with a spoon. Then eat the cone after all the ice cream is gone. Again, I’m weird. But, at least there’s no drippy mess this way.
I feel like i get less ice cream in the cone.

Speaking of, I saw this at The Chocolate Emporium just recently (no one came back to this table)...

View attachment 9648

Free ice cream! :)

Just walked by a garbage can in CityWalk filled with the refillable all day cups. So much plastic thrown away!

I'm trying to mentally figure out a way that people could "rent" (or at least deposit style) Freestyle cups. There's certainly a market for it. Probably would need a fresh straw every time to make sure the whole thing gets cleaned, but wouldn't be an impossible task.

So more than likely that souvenir you just paid for is going to end up in the trash at one point or another.

Now, if they'd give discounts if you bring that souvenir glass back, then we're in business.

Free ice cream! :)

I'm trying to mentally figure out a way that people could "rent" (or at least deposit style) Freestyle cups. There's certainly a market for it. Probably would need a fresh straw every time to make sure the whole thing gets cleaned, but wouldn't be an impossible task.

Now, if they'd give discounts if you bring that souvenir glass back, then we're in business.

Really? Lol.

If you're interested in just butterbeer ice cream, I found out today that you can get a cup at the outdoor butterbeer stand (to the right when entering DA). It was just a plain white cup. AP discount works as well!
The Hopping Pot.