Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Osborne Lights to End Run

From the way this is written, I would guess that best case it is gone until HS becomes a real park again, worst case (likely) gone permanently. If they were moving it they would have said so and made a big to-do out of it.
To me, from the way it was written, seemed like an advertisement to get suckers to come to DHS this winter. If they have a plan to move it or bring it back, they certainly aren't going to announce it now when they could say it's "going away", everyone cries and comes to see it, then Disney says, "just kidding" about 5 years later and announces they are bringing it back to massive fanfare.

Not saying that's happening or it will ever come back, but I wouldn't read to much into the wording other than DHS needs people for the holidays.

And especially under the Osborne name?
Right. The name is synonymous with Disney at this point for 20 years worth of Orlando travelers. Universal has plenty of great holiday offerings as it is (with losing Osborne, i'd argue better than Disney now).

No need to add something that will remind tourists/locals of a competing park.

I was just thinking a lot of people would probably be upset that Disney is just letting it go. And Universal could draw those people over to their park by saying, "Look, you can come see that over here now."

I don't think Universal needs "Osborne lights" per say, but they could make the area more festive with more lights. Remember the Holiday Village? I miss that.

This announcements just screams to me as a way of artificially increasing attendance at one of Disney's lowest rated park for the Christmas Season. Everyone will flock to see the lights for the last time. Then next year they open up a brand new offering "FROZEN LIGHT SPECTACULAR" in a different area with a different light display and everyone will come flocking back to see the new light show, complete with a new cupcake, dance party, and meet n' greet. Disney gains no marketing advantage by telling people there will be lights in the park next year but they gain a lot by saying that this year is the last year for Osbourne. MARK MY WORDS, THERE WILL BE LIGHTS AT DHS NEXT YEAR.

but didn't they say construction wouldn't start till 2016 why announce this now. also even though i didn't really care for the lights why don't they just move it to another park to draw people there like idk Epcot where almost every country there also celebrates Christmas

but didn't they say construction wouldn't start till 2016 why announce this now. also even though i didn't really care for the lights why don't they just move it to another park to draw people there like idk Epcot where almost every country there also celebrates Christmas
That way people know this is the last one. The outrage would have been even bigger if they didn't announce this would be the final one.

Even if they wanted to move them, there's not really a prime place to put the that would logistally work anywhere near as good as it does on Streets of America. Add to that the lights aren't exactly an easy installation/strike either.

They normally start putting the lights up in August and aren't fully down until February. That's 6 months out of the year. It works well on SOA because it's a huge waste of space. Anywhere else it would be an operational nightmare.

Isn't garish what Christmas lights are all about? For my family and myself we love it and to have it gone is rather depressing.

No, garish is not what it is or has been about. The trend to decorate your house like Chinese New Year has only come about in the past 20 years due to cheap circuitry and computers made in - oh my goodness - China.