Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 105 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1px.gif

1px.gif

1px.gif

1px.gif

1px.gif

Are you ready for your first glimpse at what’s next for Disney’s Animal Kingdom?

While at the first D23 Expo Japan, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Tom Staggs shared some exciting news on projects in development for Disney parks around the globe. He entertained Disney fans with never-before-seen videos and imagery of Shanghai Disney Resort and the recently announced Iron Man Experience at Hong Kong Disneyland. They also got an inside look at the Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky process and participated in a dazzling presentation finale, donning Glow with the Show ears that illuminated to colorful images on the big screen.

But the most exciting reveal of Tom’s presentation was a first look at the highly anticipated Avatar experiences in development for Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

As these concept renderings show in epic scale, in the world of Avatar guests will encounter awe-inspiring floating mountains and wander through a nighttime jungle of bioluminescent plants that are alive with light and sound.

The new Avatar-themed land will be located between Africa and the Oasis and will encompass and expand beyond the area currently known as Camp Minnie-Mickey. The Festival of the Lion King is moving its tribal celebration to an all-new theater in the Africa section of the park.

And the new Avatar-inspired land won’t be the only change coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.
As part of the largest expansion in the history of the park, Disney Parks is adding all-new entertainment experiences, including a new nighttime spectacular where live music, floating lanterns, water screens, and swirling animal imagery that all combine to bring a show to Discovery River.

As part of the largest expansion in its history, Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park will be adding all-new entertainment experiences including a new after-dark spectacular centered around and above Discovery River, new nighttime entertainment including live performers on Discovery Island (pictured) and a new night version of Kilimanjaro Safaris.

https://d23.com/whats-next-for-disneys-animal-kingdom-avatar-tree-of-life-d23-expo-japan/

Very nice concept art.
It says they are aiming for a 2017 completion date....That's a LONG ways away.
My, this day has been filled with a lot of theme park news and rumours!

That boat ride looks most interesting. It looks nice but I'm still not all too thrilled to see this series brought to life.

4 more years though. Yeesh.

Thanks for the heads up, Skipper Justin! :thumbs: Concept art looks nice, indeed. I'm mostly curious to see how that boat ride comes to fruition. After all, the only appeal this has for me is the glowing eye candy. So, other than that, nothing new except for a target date of 2017... yikes.

I like the concept art. Not surprised by the lack of innovative rides. The theming isn't surprising either, but I can't say that I'm not excited to see it in person. Color me more excited than I thought I'd be.

Looks exactly how I expected it to.

I hope the boat ride is good...
And looks like a DAK version of World of Color is happening?

I could care less about the Soarin' style ride. That one has a lot to do to try and wow me.

If this land actually looks as good as the concept art though, it's gonna be pretty good.

The only issue with this nighttime show is that the river is not conducive to have a show setup in one spot for people to see. They would literally have to setup multiple smaller versions of the show around the park for people to see.

Last edited:
Or parade of barges/floats that circle the river with the effects on board :shrug: Its going to be a nightmare trying to find a spot to see this unless they open up some areas for viewing

Boat ride sounds like the best part unless the Banshee ride turns out to be Pandora's Box. I'm more excited for Nighttime Kilimanjaro Safaris though.

Boat ride sounds like the best part unless the Banshee ride turns out to be Pandora's Box. I'm more excited for Nighttime Kilimanjaro Safaris though.

Looks like the Jungle Cruise thru Pandora :lol: Only thing ith the night time rides thru KS is how are we supposed to see the animals when its pitch black out there? Give the drivers big spot lights perhaps? :shrug:

Looks like the Jungle Cruise thru Pandora :lol: Only thing ith the night time rides thru KS is how are we supposed to see the animals when its pitch black out there? Give the drivers big spot lights perhaps? :shrug:
They used to do night safari's years ago and they would put lights on top of the vehicles.

So, every one on this thread has been criticizing Disney for a stalled project with no details, doubting it would ever come to fruition. When they finally offer up proof and a targeted opening date, it's met with yawns and more criticism for said opening date. I swear, unless it's Universal, there's just no pleasing you people.

Personally, I think the artwork and model looks better than I was expecting, and between this and the other nighttime additions, am cautiously optimistic AK will be able to shed its "half day park" label. Just wondering how this may impact the animals.

Reactions: TylerDurden
Status
Not open for further replies.