Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 37 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what company Disney could tap to blow Potter out of the water? Freaking Nintendo! MK already has an on-going live-action Pokemon game. Peach's Castle, Hyrule, Yoshi's Island, Kriby's Dreamland, DK's Rivercountry...anything Starfox, F-Zero, and Metroid... Disney would blow a load in Potter's face if they could get their little white gloved hands on this. If only.

You know what company Disney could tap to blow Potter out of the water? Freaking Nintendo! MK already has an on-going live-action Pokemon game. Peach's Castle, Hyrule, Yoshi's Island, Kriby's Dreamland, DK's Rivercountry...anything Starfox, F-Zero, and Metroid... Disney would blow a load in Potter's face if they could get their little white gloved hands on this. If only.

How old are you for cripes sake? You sound like a child with that silly argument!

How old are you for cripes sake? You sound like a child with that silly argument!

Let's make a few things clear:

1) Remind yourself you're on a theme-park forum drooling over wizard-themed islands, taking polls on what fantasy based beverage tastes superior, and prone to heated discussions over attractions based on children's cartoons.
2) Ask yourself what is really silly about a supremely marketable host of properties, like Nintendo, developed into a real life atmosphere with attractions by a world renowned themepark giant, like Disney. I know more kids who own a DS and Wiis than do anything Potter. And what games would you suppose they are most likely to play? My guess would be ones developed by Nintendo, who have created some of the most memorable characters in the history of entertainment.
3) Reread your own post. It's a brief retort made solely to cut a person down with absolutely no meat to it whatsoever. My age? For liking Nintendo? Sounding like a child with a "silly argument?" It wasn't an argument, just a reminder that there is more than Star Wars to combat the likes of Harry Potter.

And honestly...who says "cripes?"

Interesting word choice...I don't think Nintendo is the answer to Potter...and what do you mean by if only...do you not like Universal?

Interesting word choice...I don't think Nintendo is the answer to Potter...and what do you mean by if only...do you not like Universal?

Yea, it was just a figure of speech (perhaps in poor taste). Do I think it's a property more at home with Disney than Universal aesthetically? Yes, but park preference is irrelevant as discussion I was jumping on was regarding Star Wars being the only franchise that could effectively combat Potter for Disney. The park in need of a competing franchise (Disney) was chosen by the context of the discussion, not me. I think Star Wars Vs Potter is fighting fire with fire. Introducing something like Nintendo into the theme park world would bring a new flare and fresh face to the field. Something a lot of people would get behind, too, I suspect.

Yea, it was just a figure of speech (perhaps in poor taste). Do I think it's a property more at home with Disney than Universal aesthetically? Yes, but park preference is irrelevant as discussion I was jumping on was regarding Star Wars being the only franchise that could effectively combat Potter for Disney. The park in need of a competing franchise (Disney) was chosen by the context of the discussion, not me. I think Star Wars Vs Potter is fighting fire with fire. Introducing something like Nintendo into the theme park world would bring a new flare and fresh face to the field. Something a lot of people would get behind, too, I suspect.

Hmmm. Although I highly doubt a Nintendo area at Disney will ever exist (but it's still fun to discuss), do we think they have a bigger fanbase than Star Wars? And does that fanbase have more disposable income than Star Wars fans? I would guess no, but I'm no expert on the demographics of Nintendo fanboys. Or Star Wars fanboys, for that matter.

Can ANYTHING rival Harry Potter OTHER than Star Wars, at the end of the day?

In terms of massive appeal I'd say LOTR, but even that's stretching it. There's comic book fans, but Disney can't do squat with Marvel (Avengers Monorail banner notwithstanding) and I believe that DC rights are held by Six Flags. Twilight is just something we're all happy that it ends later this year. The Hunger Games is a current phenomenon, but how the fandom will continue is a mystery.

And then we delve into the.....not lesser fandoms, just not as well hyped among such wide demographics: Percy Jackson, A Song of Fire and Ice, Battlestar Gallactica, Star Trek, Artemis Fowl, Eragon, Chronicles of Narnia, Doctor Who, etc.

Star Wars is the Mouse's best bet, but as rhino4evr pointed out, they couldn't go wrong with a Cars Land. Its been said time and time again that THE reason the idea of Cars came to the forefront of Imagineering was because Cars as a brand has proven it can sell merch. If John Lasseter's gaudy shirts with Lightning McQueen all over doesn't spell out his ridiculous craze over the franchise, nothing will. It's because of bedwetting seven year olds who have their Cars sheets in their Cars bed while his Cars night light helps him sleep that this land exists. I'm not talking down about the creative nature and theme park ingenuity that went into building the land, but rather the simple fact of the matter that this is a movie "series" that has mostly resonated with prepubescents, rather than society as a whole. The same can be said for Avatar.....:look:

Well, right now i'd put Hunger Games pretty high on the list with it's massive popularity at the moment and all the merch i've seen people buying from it already. It's basically Avatar in terms of content, except it would be merchandising GOLD as well and it has a rabid and very split fan base of all ages, both genders. The problem is, it doesn't really lend itself to a them park attraction/land imo.

Last edited:
Well, right now i'd put Hunger Games pretty high on the list with it's massive popularity at the moment and all the merch i've seen people buying from it already. It's basically Avatar in terms of content, except it would be merchandising GOLD as well and it has a rabid and very split fan base of all ages, both genders. The problem is, it doesn't really lend itself to a them park attraction/land imo.

???

Reactions: Scarletwebslingr
Hmmm. Although I highly doubt a Nintendo area at Disney will ever exist (but it's still fun to discuss), do we think they have a bigger fanbase than Star Wars? And does that fanbase have more disposable income than Star Wars fans? I would guess no, but I'm no expert on the demographics of Nintendo fanboys. Or Star Wars fanboys, for that matter.

Secretly, and selfishly, I want a Disney/Nintendo partnership just to see Epic Mickey in the next Smash Bros. One mega perk regarding this partnership is that, unlike a film/book franchise (save Star Wars), Nintendo characters provide continual material. There will always be a "next Mario game." There is always going to be a new Link, sculpting deeper layers to Hyrule and the world surrounding. And Pokemon...will simply continue making new Pokemon. Point being, video games consistently renew themselves. Books generally don't. And the merch would be awesome. I'd love to bite into a cinnamon-flavored Fire Flower or drinking Heart Potion. I'll stop nerding out now...

Secretly, and selfishly, I want a Disney/Nintendo partnership just to see Epic Mickey in the next Smash Bros. One mega perk regarding this partnership is that, unlike a film/book franchise (save Star Wars), Nintendo characters provide continual material. There will always be a "next Mario game." There is always going to be a new Link, sculpting deeper layers to Hyrule and the world surrounding. And Pokemon...will simply continue making new Pokemon. Point being, video games consistently renew themselves. Books generally don't. And the merch would be awesome. I'd love to bite into a cinnamon-flavored Fire Flower or drinking Heart Potion. I'll stop nerding out now...

I totally agree with that and it is easy to see. The closest thing the parks have kind of done with that are the famous/infamous comic books such as Spiderman. The ride will always be popular because 1. It is a great attraction but also as far as the source material goes whether there are movies or not there is either a toon series on or a reboot of a cartoon series in the works as well as the comics continually going. At 50 years old in this example Spiderman has proven infamous pop culture.

I think in the same can be said for Nintendo and it is definitely international.

What I meant by that was it's what Disney was looking for in a franchise when they went out and got Avatar (although much more established and better), and to add on they would get a proven merch seller already and a big fan base. Wasn't comparing the movies/franchises beyond that.

James Bond is huge, but it's a harder thing to tap and a lot of it's fanbase is in 35+ range. A lot of the other huge franchises have been tapped; Star Wars, Indy, Jurassic Park, Marvel, D.C., etc.

A Nintendo theme park? Hmmm....I don't know how you would really pull that off. It would obviously be very kid/child oriented. That's not what Disney really needs. How would you do a Mario ride? Mario Kart maybe?

AS mentioned several times. A full on Star Wars land, is a no brainer, and should have happened already. Huge fan base, great merchandising, and a potential for lots of great attractions. However Star Tours kinda uses up all the best ideas for a Star Wars ride and puts it into one. So im not sure how much they could really add. I just really want a Mos Eisley Cantina Bar to hang out at. How cool could that be?

Cars land seems more likely. Since the plans and concept already exist. We will see how popular it is when it opens.

Hunger games and Twilight is a little too morbid for Disney I think.

A Nintendo theme park? Hmmm....I don't know how you would really pull that off. It would obviously be very kid/child oriented. That's not what Disney really needs. How would you do a Mario ride? Mario Kart maybe?

AS mentioned several times. A full on Star Wars land, is a no brainer, and should have happened already. Huge fan base, great merchandising, and a potential for lots of great attractions. However Star Tours kinda uses up all the best ideas for a Star Wars ride and puts it into one. So im not sure how much they could really add. I just really want a Mos Eisley Cantina Bar to hang out at. How cool could that be?

Cars land seems more likely. Since the plans and concept already exist. We will see how popular it is when it opens.

Hunger games and Twilight is a little too morbid for Disney I think.

Mario Cart Racing, F-Zero coaster, Metroid Coaster, Star Fox simulator, park-wide Pokemon game (i.e. Sorcerer's) with Gyms, Donky Kong River Ride, Kirby's Dreamland or Yoshi's Island for the wee ones, Hyrule with horses and the like, dark ride, and a stage show, and, at the end of the night, Super Smash Bro's showdown in front of Peach's Castle. I've put a lot of thought into this over the years... :look: But yes, it would completely work for all age levels.

Nintendo is a great concept for not only a land but a whole theme park. I don't see it ever happening here but it seems like a golden idea for Japan or somewhere overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.