Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
DISNEY PARKS BLOG, OMG THIS IS BIG!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/09/avatar-coming-to-disney-parks/

We have great news to share today. At a press conference happening right now at Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs just announced a long-term creative partnership with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Disney Parks. And it’ll all begin at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

James and his producing partner Jon Landau and their team at Lightstorm Entertainment will serve as creative consultants on the project and will work side-by-side with our Walt Disney Imagineers as we dream up experiences that will take our guests deep into worlds of AVATAR like never before. There are also two sequels to the record setting first film in the works, which will offer more fascinating stories, characters and locations to explore in the AVATAR universe. Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is planned as the site of the first AVATAR-themed land with construction expected to begin by 2013.

We believe Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in new ways. Disney’s Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

The design phase on the Disney’s Animal Kingdom project has just begun so stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details.

Got questions about the announcement? If so, Tom Staggs will be answering them in a special Q&A blog post later today. Just submit your name, city where you’re from and your question to questionsfortom@disney.com and then check the Disney Parks Blog later to see some of the answers.

Yerp. Construction starts in 2013. More than one attraction will be built. Cameron will be heavily involved.

This is EXACTLY what the resort needed. I can't really post since I'm at work. Will have my detailed thoughts later.

This is something that could match Potter in attendance boost, but a whole Pandora section could be pretty awesome, and I hope they make a competing dueling coaster based on the flying creatures, wow, this is awesome!

This is something that could match Potter in attendance boost, but a whole Pandora section could be pretty awesome, and I hope they make a competing dueling coaster based on the flying creatures, wow, this is awesome!

Avatar was huge yes....but I don't think it will be nearly as successful as HP. There won't be thousands of people lined up opening day for this.

Avatar was huge yes....but I don't think it will be nearly as successful as HP. There won't be thousands of people lined up opening day for this.

Absolutely not, of course, but it could finally push Animal Kingdom into a full day park finally and certainly will boost attendance.

Just adding to confirm that the land will feature a few new rides, entertainment, shopping, and dining and will be expected to open by 2016. Expected cost of the project is $200 million.

Only $200 million? Hmmmm thats a pretty low number considering how much money Disney is spending on FLE.

Red flag:

This is only going to cost 200 million for the entire project. Radiator Springs racers costs over 400 alone. Either WDI has learned how to spend money wisely, or this isn't going to be as exciting as it sounds. I hope it's the former.

AVATAR at ANIMAL KINGDOM? LMAO.. This is awesome though. It would obviously make more sense at Universal but go Disney for having some balls to do something.

Brilliant move by Walt Disney World. With the Fantasyland Expansion and Avatar coming to the resort, I'm actually optimistic about the resorts additions again. This could actually bump Animal Kingdom past a half day park. Here's hoping.

Why would it make more sense at Universal? This is the new Beastly Kingdom, essentially. Makes just as much sense at Animal Kingdom.

I'm indifferent about this. I think they're just trying to 1+ on HPland but I really don't think Avatar has the fan base that HP has, even with two (correct?) additional movies set to come out. Hopefully it has some awesome attractions and whatnot. I've never read the HP books / seen the movies, yet I do love the land and attractions and I'm hoping 'Avatarland' is the same way. It'll hopefully push Animal Kingdom into a half day.. 'er.. full day, park. ;) And... once that opens in 2016, they'll fix the yeti, right?

Just had a WTF moment. (can I eve write that here...lol) Wow, this was random. I haven't seen avatar so now I have to. Lmao

I think it does make a ton more sense at DAK instead of replacing T2 for example. This could be the case of Uni just wanted to do a simple attraction and WDW was willing to do more just to do something and add a big name to their parks. Basically the reverse of the UO did to Disney with HP.

But just thinking, if they were to do a dueling coaster again how much would one of those coasters cost? I couldn't find the price of the original cost of Dueling Dragons.

Wonder if T2 3-D is leaveing Uni now that Cameron is bed with Disney, this may open the door for the rumored TFs...
I am indifferent to this going on at AK, just make it interesting. They need a dark ride, a coaster, and a water attraction, IMO.

Also, this is a pretty huge slap in the face of D23 attendees to announce this just a month later.

Also, this is a pretty huge slap in the face of D23 attendees to announce this just a month later.

Agreed, if this was in the works they should have announced it at D23 after the previous D23 convention included SO many announcements.

Hoooooooly crap! As much as I hated that film, the theme park applications are virtually limitless. Between Potter, Fantasyland, possible Transformers, and now Avatar, Orlando is about to explode.

Hoooooooly crap! As much as I hated that film, the theme park applications are virtually limitless. Between Potter, Fantasyland, possible Transformers, and now Avatar, Orlando is about to explode.

Hell yeah. That's the most important part. No matter where it goes, WE WIN.

--- Update ---

Oh and I will be sifting through threads to see who was talking smack about Avatar when it was suggested it would go to Universal and who's praising it now that it's going to Disney. :lol: There's gonna be some quoting in this mutha!

Status
Not open for further replies.