Pandora: World of Avatar Photos, Videos, & Reviews | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar Photos, Videos, & Reviews

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Pandora is beautiful night, but I expected it the glow to be more... if that makes sense. The effect of bioluminescence wasn't very strong except around the FoP facade.

View attachment 4555 View attachment 4556 View attachment 4557 View attachment 4558 View attachment 4559
Is it as dark in there as the photos show, or is the actual area better lit. NFL is really disconcerting at night. It's way too dark, almost spooky, though it looks good, and maybe that's one of the reasons it's kind of empty back there in the evening.

OK, I went and braved Pandora today (well, got there at 7am so the only wait in foP was people pausing to take picture in the queue). The land itself is beautiful, and soooo much detail. I cant wait to experience at night. But my main focus is FoP. I'm a huge theme park junkie (I was spoiled by the NYWF in 1964/65) so immersive, amazing rides/shows are what I live for. I had heard various ways people tried to describe the ride - soaring 2.0, VR, etc. But nothing prepared me for how blown away I was by the experience.

First, details in the queue are epic, right down to the ACE logo on the poles. Just walking through it was an experience in itself. But then the ride. Wow. I don't know what kind of 3D system they use (the glasses didn't seem dark like polarized or prismatic like the Dolby 3D system, They looked downright clear to me), but the 3D was among the best I'd ever seen with one exception (I'll talk about that below). When the screen first appeared, everyone let out this oooh, but a second or so after that the Banshee did its first dive and everyone whooped. The sensation was so utterly real that halfway through the ride I realized my mouth was open in awe. Coupled with the best part of the Avatar movie (the visuals) it made for an nearly indescribably sensation. I'd easily have stood in line again for 2 hours for it ... but it was at 4 and that was a bit much even for me.

As for the one note on the 3D. The one thing almost every 3D director tried to avoid is bright object on a black background because you inevitably get "ghosting" or dual image. It does happen in the bioluminescent section for a moment or two, but not enough to be noticed by 99% of the population, as it goes by pretty fast.

The down side for me was the river journey. It probably would be ok if it was a 10 minute wait. Or if I have partaken of some illegal substances (lol). But it felt short and rather pointless.

I listened to people coming off FoP throughout the morning even with the 4 hour wait people were telling friends how awesome it was. I didn't hear any negatives about FoP

Just one of the little details to look at while going up the mountain into the queue - look at the giant floating mountain nearest to the queue line and look at the little cave area. Within the cave area you will see many "baby banshee" laying on the edge of the mountain and occasionally hear a roar from what I assume is supposed to be a larger one.

It would've been a really cool atmospheric thing to have a Banshee AA in that spot and use it to scare the crap out of guests :lol:

Reactions: jtsalien and Alicia
I visited Pandora last night for the first time doing EMH and I was absolutely blown away. It was just jaw-dropping in how much there was to look at and all the incredible details. It WAS dark in there... couldn't find the rest of my party since I stepped away to snap a pic for a second. I had to turn the iPhone flashlight on to signal them on my whereabouts. :lol:

Waited 45 minutes for the Na'Vi River Journey and it was pretty spectacular. The blending of screens and sets was perfection. Also, I was just thrilled to be on a 2-row boat. There was 5 of us and we got to have a boat to ourselves.

Haven't done FOP yet but I have a FP for it in 90 minutes. Actually looking forward to seeing it in the daytime tonight too. Here we go! But seriously Disney, bravo. I'm proud of how great this is.

OK, I went and braved Pandora today (well, got there at 7am so the only wait in foP was people pausing to take picture in the queue). The land itself is beautiful, and soooo much detail. I cant wait to experience at night. But my main focus is FoP. I'm a huge theme park junkie (I was spoiled by the NYWF in 1964/65) so immersive, amazing rides/shows are what I live for. I had heard various ways people tried to describe the ride - soaring 2.0, VR, etc. But nothing prepared me for how blown away I was by the experience.

First, details in the queue are epic, right down to the ACE logo on the poles. Just walking through it was an experience in itself. But then the ride. Wow. I don't know what kind of 3D system they use (the glasses didn't seem dark like polarized or prismatic like the Dolby 3D system, They looked downright clear to me), but the 3D was among the best I'd ever seen with one exception (I'll talk about that below). When the screen first appeared, everyone let out this oooh, but a second or so after that the Banshee did its first dive and everyone whooped. The sensation was so utterly real that halfway through the ride I realized my mouth was open in awe. Coupled with the best part of the Avatar movie (the visuals) it made for an nearly indescribably sensation. I'd easily have stood in line again for 2 hours for it ... but it was at 4 and that was a bit much even for me.

As for the one note on the 3D. The one thing almost every 3D director tried to avoid is bright object on a black background because you inevitably get "ghosting" or dual image. It does happen in the bioluminescent section for a moment or two, but not enough to be noticed by 99% of the population, as it goes by pretty fast.

The down side for me was the river journey. It probably would be ok if it was a 10 minute wait. Or if I have partaken of some illegal substances (lol). But it felt short and rather pointless.

I listened to people coming off FoP throughout the morning even with the 4 hour wait people were telling friends how awesome it was. I didn't hear any negatives about FoP
My views on both rides pretty much line up exactly with what you describe. Love FoP, thought NRJ was pointless/needed to be longer. I believe in my review from the AP preview I actually used the word pointless lol.

As a whole the land felt like it's missing a little something extra on the left side by NRJ though. There's so much energy over by FoP/Pongu Pongu/Windtraders/Saut'li that it makes the other side seem dead, even on a really busy day. A third ride really would've added a lot I think.

Haven't done FOP yet but I have a FP for it in 90 minutes. Actually looking forward to seeing it in the daytime tonight too. Here we go! But seriously Disney, bravo. I'm proud of how great this is.
Enjoy :cheers: Looking forward to hearing your thoughts later.

Jokes on you. We got back in line this morning and it was only 2.15 wait even though we were all the way back to harambe. Minimal FP early one make the line a near constant walk until the forest inside.

Jokes on you. We got back in line this morning and it was only 2.15 wait even though we were all the way back to harambe. Minimal FP early one make the line a near constant walk until the forest inside.
I waited from the bridge yesterday... I really hope that the lines calm down because the lines zig-zagging through the land like that really sort of takes away from the land as whole a bit. Problem is, from my count, there's only about 2-2.5 hours worth of queue once you walk under the stand-by sign into the queue area so I expect this whole summer to be like this as far as the lines go.

I waited from the bridge yesterday... I really hope that the lines calm down because the lines zig-zagging through the land like that really sort of takes away from the land as whole a bit. Problem is, from my count, there's only about 2-2.5 hours worth of queue once you walk under the stand-by sign into the queue area so I expect this whole summer to be like this as far as the lines go.

Yeah, it was supposed to have more queue per all the rumors - i was surprised River Journey stretched out so far so quickly, it has a lot of switchbacks and that whole other side area.

Yeah, it was supposed to have more queue per all the rumors - i was surprised River Journey stretched out so far so quickly, it has a lot of switchbacks and that whole other side area.

I'm sure that 4 hour quote is for a heavy fp ratio. Im curious what the linear distance is because it holds less than prolly both Potters and Kong. I think the queue as is with people not stopping and no fp is like 90 mins max.

I'm sure that 4 hour quote is for a heavy fp ratio. Im curious what the linear distance is because it holds less than prolly both Potters and Kong. I think the queue as is with people not stopping and no fp is like 90 mins max.

FOP is loooooong though. It's taking most folks about an hour to get up the front of the mountain once entering the queue-proper.

Why they're going so fast through the interior I don't know.

NRJ loads much faster than FoP as well.

However, when I rode during the AP Preview, I estimated about 1-1.5 hours of queue under the shaded queue. The line has been hovering around 150 minutes or more so I can easily see why there's a back up.

FOP is loooooong though. It's taking most folks about an hour to get up the front of the mountain once entering the queue-proper.

Why they're going so fast through the interior I don't know.
Yep, it took us an hour just to get under the entry sign and start trekking up the mountain.

Entered the park around 1:30 today. No wait to get into Pandora and had a use anywhere paper FP to get onto FOP. Line was about 15-20 minutes before we went into C3, where we then watched the first pre-show (which yeah is awful) then proceeded to wait another 10 minutes before a CM came up and said that we would move to another theatre. Went to D2 and everything was much smoother, until we sat down. Waited for about 10 minutes before the ride actually started, and we could hear the restraints locking and unlocking below us, so probably someone unable to ride vs a mechanical issue, but it put a damper on the experience a bit.

Now to the ride: I rode Soarin' a few days ago, and obviously this is better, but I'm kind of with the Soarin' 2.0 crowd. The main parts of the ride are smooth and fun, but aside from the way you're seated didn't feel drastically different than Fallon (save the dives). The main flying parts of the ride aren't intense, and the best part of the ride by far are the dives, which are well executed and leave you with a smile on your face, but it isn't TOT like or anything. Effects are good with smells/realistic water effects, though it was far too easy to see everyone else in the theatre with you. The one gripe I had with the ride is the middle section where you get a cool environment to look at, but you're not doing anything.... and there's a boat ride a few hundred feet away with that purpose: I'd rather spend the whole cycle flying. Aside from that it's a good ride, it'll be popular (though I'm not sure how much staying power the land itself will have), but in terms of my level of enjoyment I'd put it equal with Kong and Gringotts. I wouldn't wait more than 40 minutes for it. (BTW Single Rider was closed... which was kind of annoying as the TM's at the pre show juncture kept asking for singles.... If you want them open up the Single Rider line!)

The land itself looks nice, but it didn't scream Pandora to me as much as it did cool AK land with lots of rock work. The floating mountain thing is kind of cool as a visual but I didn't really see the point/I probably wouldn't of said "oh those are the floating mountains" if I hadn't seen the movie recently. All the facade stuff is great with the exception that you can see the back of it from the parking lot all too easily, not that I care I like being able to see it, but kind of takes away some of the mystery of the land idk. Also the hordes of people waiting in line for FOP along with all the confusion definitely ruins any atmosphere the land has, kind of like Diagon if you go when it's empty/you can't walk.

I didn't get to ride NRJ cause I didn't feel like waiting, so I'll save judgement, but I can't feel that I'll like it that much/go on it if there's more than a 10-15 minute wait.

By the way the rest of the park in the afternoon wasn't that crowded. EE was about 10 min single rider line three or four times, though it did have a 40 min Standby. Dinosaur was listed at a 40 min standby but was a walk on, as was Primeval Whirl/Bugs Life. Safari was about 15 minutes around 6.

I can't give an overall opinion cause I haven't experienced all the aspects of the land (including it at night), but I had little interest in the land before I went and my opinion didn't really change. AK definitely needs more attractions and this is a step in the right direction, and I can't credit Disney enough with all the previews that they did to try to make the land run smoothly for this busy opening weekend. There are definitely hiccups, but I can only imagine the disaster this would be if they hadn't.

I think what we'll learn from this land is that WDW guests want new attractions and will go crazy for them. We'll see where everything ends up in a few months with this land and the crowds it draws- I believe it'll be similar to what happened with Kong- but hopefully the best thing to come from it is the knowing how people will react when SWL comes.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Single Rider isnt open because WDI thought it'd be a good idea to merge Single Riders with FP for the hike up the mountain and into the caves, not differentiating until you get to the end of the caves.

Ops has pretty much refused to operate it until they come up with a different answer.

From the standpoint of someone who has dealt with single riders lines at things like FJ - yeah, a few guests will enjoy a much shorter wait. The vast majority will argue that "nooo, i'm not a single rider!!!" or comoplain that they waited a decent amount of time anyways.

Sometimes it's legit not worth opening it up.

Reactions: jtsalien
Single Rider isnt open because WDI thought it'd be a good idea to merge Single Riders with FP for the hike up the mountain and into the caves, not differentiating until you get to the end of the caves.

Ops has pretty much refused to operate it until they come up with a different answer.

From the standpoint of someone who has dealt with single riders lines at things like FJ - yeah, a few guests will enjoy a much shorter wait. The vast majority will argue that "nooo, i'm not a single rider!!!" or comoplain that they waited a decent amount of time anyways.

Sometimes it's legit not worth opening it up.
I get the feeling that like TSMM and Soarin', Single Rider will leave quickly from FoP.

Single Rider was however open during EMH this morning. I was talking to someone on twitter who went through it and there were pics of it in operation.

?? I wanted 20 minutes for FoP

So I rode FOP for the second time, still awesome. I took a peek behind me while the ride was in motion and it's incredible. If someone where to get off from that seat somehow, they are dead. The whole floor moves/tilts, making that room you were in sort of disappear.

River journey is bad. Did not like it. I would only ride it if its 15 minutes or less.

Both days that I have been there, the lands air looks very hazy. The Suli Canteen lets out a lot of smoke, which the wind blows back into the land. Has anyone noticed this?

Reactions: sjago13
So I rode Flight of Passage and.. I guess if you're reading this thread, you would expect spoilers but if not then no more reading beyond this point..

But I can't say I was impressed by a simulator in front of an IMAX dome. The ride most reminded me of Back to the Future, especially when I turned my head and saw the other riders on their bikes. I think this will get glorious reviews from anyone who hasn't stepped into a Universal park in the past 10-20. :lol:

Also, I'm shocked that they went with such a restrictive seat for a simulator. This is like.. Forbidden Journey restrictive and probably doesn't do half the movement. Also, I found the experience to be a bit nauseating, though the 3D was great.

I had a FP so I did miss the queue which could add to the whole experience and I could be missing a part of it, but I'm not able to wait 24o minutes to check out the queue so FP it is. But file me under the group who actually prefer the boat ride to FOP, if there's anyone else in it.

Also, if you've only seen Pandora in the daytime, you haven't seen it. The land comes ALIVE at night.

Reactions: Mad Dog
So I rode Flight of Passage and.. I guess if you're reading this thread, you would expect spoilers but if not then no more reading beyond this point..

But I can't say I was impressed by a simulator in front of an IMAX dome. The ride most reminded me of Back to the Future, especially when I turned my head and saw the other riders on their bikes. I think this will get glorious reviews from anyone who hasn't stepped into a Universal park in the past 10-20. :lol:

Also, I'm shocked that they went with such a restrictive seat for a simulator. This is like.. Forbidden Journey restrictive and probably doesn't do half the movement. Also, I found the experience to be a bit nauseating, though the 3D was great.

I had a FP so I did miss the queue which could add to the whole experience and I could be missing a part of it, but I'm not able to wait 24o minutes to check out the queue so FP it is. But file me under the group who actually prefer the boat ride to FOP, if there's anyone else in it.

Also, if you've only seen Pandora in the daytime, you haven't seen it. The land comes ALIVE at night.
Interesting review. Thanks. :thumbsup:Wonder what the response to FOP would be if it opened at Universal instead of Disney?