Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Phoenix is being removed! (Rumor)

They were replacing the restraint system while I was there. Must have had all their attention on getting FF back up, now they can focus on Phoenix again. Crazy that this ride is still around, it's one of the oldest in the park! Wish they would add some more flat rides.
Reliable source tells me the ride was shut down due to many instances of broken wrists from kids intentionally holding up the lower restraints.

Reliable source tells me the ride was shut down due to many instances of broken wrists from kids intentionally holding up the lower restraints.
They replaced all the restraints on Phoenix towards the end of last year though, well after any of these incidents could have taken place.

The maintenance schedule has been updated and Phoenix's refurb is listed as December now, so it does seem like they hope to reopen it at some point.

What makes the situation really strange is they have completely refurbished the ride with new restraints whilst it has been closed, which would have cost a significant amount of money, yet it still has yet to reopen. It's really weird.

^Intamin is alive and well. Parts still most likely have to be made on demand since I don't think they're in production any longer as the last new one was built in 1990 or '92 I believe (there have been several relocations of them though since then).

^Intamin is alive and well. Parts still most likely have to be made on demand since I don't think they're in production any longer as the last new one was built in 1990 or '92 I believe (there have been several relocations of them though since then).
I didn't know it was Intamin

That explains why it's still down....HEY OH!!!

I could see a Zamperla Midi Discovery fitting in that area really well. They added one at SeaWorld San Antonio this year.
The only other ride I could see fitting in that space is their "Hawk" model.

That would be an interesting choice if they ended up opening two new swing rides in adjacent sections of the park in the same year. I'd say if the Screamin' Swing in Nairobi is doomed to happen, they ought to give Pantopia something different. Maybe they could replace Phoenix and Bus(c?)h Fliers with a bigger spinner ride, like one on the same scale as Kang & Kodos or Dumbo that isn't exclusively for small children? A Zamperla monorail that travels around Pantopia would also be a nice addition, and would tie in with the "traveler" theme.